Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

what do you MT guys do on hills?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default what do you MT guys do on hills?

i'm newer at stick shift, how do you guys with manual tranny's deal with hills? i prefer using the e-brake and then start off in first, letting the e-brake go when the car pulls.

i would like to learn the real way of using the brake, lifting up on the clutch till the friction point and then letting it fall back a tiny bit and giving it gas, but that seems kinda scary, especially because most people don't know you have a stick shift and are right up on your ___ when your on a hill. i'll have to practice on this hill in my neighborhood

any input is appreciated.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, and you probably don't want to hear this, I've been driving stick for a few years and when you're pulling away from a parking spot or stop on a hill, you've got plenty to do without having to use the e-break. I never have and don't touch it, except when I'm parked. When you're used to the car, you can quickly go from a stop with your foot on the break to the point where you're not moving forward (and breaking free of the road) but you're holding the car. The only problem is if you're on a really steep hill at a stop and it's wet. But that's why I got new tires. Keep practicing, and you'll be fine. No need for the break.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member

Your doing it the right way when you feel the clutch grab the tranny you release the e-brake, it preserves the life of the clutch. It says it in your manual also. blipping or matching revs when you down shift to accelerate or just to make the ride a little easier also saves on the clutch.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member

Id imagine that using the ebrake is the proper way to do it. I just start up again the same way I always do though. I've been driving stick for a long time so it's easier for me that way, and clutch wear really doesn't concern me.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member

You can watch the RPM meter while slowing letting out the clutch and pressing the foot break. When the RPM's begin to drop (to around 500 RPM) you can release the foot break and the car will not fall back. You can move your foot to the gas and accelerate. Practice makes perfect. Practice makes perfect!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Hills? What them is? We don't got none of thems down her.
j/k There are a few fast food drive thru's where the car tends to roll backwards. I just release the brake and drive forward. Once you get used to driving stick it should be no problem.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Xfaded
You can watch the RPM meter while slowing letting out the clutch and pressing the foot break. When the RPM's begin to drop (to around 500 RPM) you can release the foot break and the car will not fall back. You can move your foot to the gas and accelerate. Practice makes perfect. Practice makes perfect!

Thats what I do also. Just hold the brake release the clutch till you hear/feel the car s rpm drop. then release the brake slowly and give some gas and finish your take off.. To keep the people from waiting behind you.. Look at the light wait for the other to turn red then start.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

using the ebrake is the proper way to do it unless your really comfy with the clutch
Old 01-09-2005, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My last car was manual. Sometimes I would deliberately let it roll backward a bit to make the jackass tailgater behind me think twice about not giving people a little room on hills.

On a steep hill there's no margin of error of course, but on the gentler hills I'd do it just to be passive-agressive...
Old 01-09-2005, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about downshifting? i never do it unless i'm going down a steep hill and i need engine braking, my old stick shift had crappy brakes, so it helped. down shifting to a stop light on a flat surface seems like a waste of the clutch (extra wear) and waste of gas (high engine rpm) what do you guys do with down shifting?
Old 01-09-2005, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
what about downshifting? i never do it unless i'm going down a steep hill and i need engine braking, my old stick shift had crappy brakes, so it helped. down shifting to a stop light on a flat surface seems like a waste of the clutch (extra wear) and waste of gas (high engine rpm) what do you guys do with down shifting?
I have a friend that swears by downshifting to slow down. When he's riding with me and I don't down shift he says things like "You're gonna wear out your brakes quick."

But I think the other side to that is wearing out the clutch quick. I'd rather have to replace the brakes than the tranny/clutch... but, when I'm driving, I'd rather have the tranny/clutch give out as opposed to the brakes giving out
Old 01-09-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
My last car was manual. Sometimes I would deliberately let it roll backward a bit to make the jackass tailgater behind me think twice about not giving people a little room on hills.

On a steep hill there's no margin of error of course, but on the gentler hills I'd do it just to be passive-agressive...

I know what you mean. When I first started to drive I would get really nervous whenever some jerk decided to get right behind me on a hill. But I learned that once they see you roll back, they fall WAY back.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It depends on the grade of hill and the amount of gas to give. I give a generous amount of gas when letting out the clutch and learn the amount to give for each grade.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the ebrake was just for busting ill drifts on snowy roads. I love winter in Iowa!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

truth be told, if some one is on your ___, it's okay to roll into them. i would. i have. they are supposed to give you a bit of room. i think it's a car length. if you're riding my ___, i'll roll back on purpose. but, anyways, once you get used to driving a stick it's like second nature. just go somewhere empty and practice. it used to scare the hell out of me too.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by empleh
truth be told, if some one is on your ___, it's okay to roll into them. i would. i have. they are supposed to give you a bit of room. i think it's a car length. if you're riding my ___, i'll roll back on purpose. but, anyways, once you get used to driving a stick it's like second nature. just go somewhere empty and practice. it used to scare the hell out of me too.
What he said is true. NO need to further explain.

But still in my opinion.. As much as I hate when ppl get real close to me. And I wanna roll into em so bad just cuz you can.. I dont wanna eff up my rear cuz of them beeing idiots
Old 01-09-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah true, i used to do it in my 94 accord...heh.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe the rule is the person behind you must be able to see our back tires...which would give the person enough room incase of a roll back
i use the hand brake on hilss
Old 01-09-2005, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Using the e-brake is fine if you need to.

Regardless of right or wrong, the idea of rolling back into someone to teach them a "lesson" is rather immature and not very logical. If you're in something with external steel bumpers, go for it, in a Scion = dumb move.

Downshifting is also OK. You should use a combination of the two and not try to pick one or the other. When you're not giving the car gas, the engine's not using more gas, even when it revs higher at downshift. That is the inertia of the engine.

Just keep practicing, eventually it becomes second nature...
Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

i just started driving a 5 spd and it only took me a day or so to get used to the MT on a hill, i usually dont roll back at all or if i do it is just a little. however sometimes i get the jerk who pulls right up to me i do use the e brake

Quick Reply: what do you MT guys do on hills?