Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

What do your family and friends say about your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What do your family and friends say about your car?

Just wondering what reactions people are getting from their relatives and friends when they first see/ride in the tC. I've found that it really depends on what cars they already own and where they are in life. Almost all of my friends drive more expensive cars than I do, so you can imagine what kinds of comments I get ...

For example:

My mom with an E320: "That's a nice-looking little car."
Friend with a G35 sedan: "That's a fun little car."
Friend with a loaded ES330: "That's a fun little car."
Friend with a previous-gen TL: "Handles well, but I'm a bit car-sick from your crappy driving."
Friend with a previous-gen Accord EX-V6 sedan automatic: "Man, if the tC was out while I was looking for a car, I would have gotten it instead of the Accord!".
Friend with a WRX wagon: "Easy to drive. That's a fun little car. Throw on the supercharger already! What, it's not out yet?"
Cousin with an Accord coupe LX automatic: "That's a fun little car."
Next-door neighbor: "Isn't that the fifth time you've washed your car in the last month?" (after I told him how much I paid for it, he said "Well, it *looks* expensive ...")

and so on ...
Old 12-10-2004, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: What do your family and friends say about your car?

Originally Posted by nethack4ever
Next-door neighbor: "Isn't that the fifth time you've washed your car in the last month?" (after I told him how much I paid for it, he said "Well, it *looks* expensive ...")
LOL..... my neighbors do the same thing. :D
Old 12-10-2004, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There is this guy here with a heavy accent who keeps saying my car is “reel spensive? Yes? Must cost spensive.”
Old 12-10-2004, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scion Evolution

Sounds to me that your family uses their car as an extention of their.......

j/k

Who cares what they think. Are you happy with your new tC? Do you feel you made a wise choice? And most impotant, did you buy it for you or them? If you bought it for them or for anyone else because you care what they think, here's a quarter, go buy yourself some selfesteem!!!

Just kidding again...Be happy!!! I know I am....That is all that counts!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL thank God i am not the only one wash my car like crazy...so far i washed my car 6 times, and waxed it once and i got my car for about 10 weeks. Would had wash it more if the damn weather gets better...been raining here for 3 weeks.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 PM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

carolla and civic drivers are very good at saying some variation of: "damn i wish i knew that car was coming out." Other than that, I get something along the lines of "When you said 'Scion' i thought you meant the ugly box one.'"
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What do your family and friends say about your car?

Originally Posted by nethack4ever
Friend with a previous-gen TL: "Handles well, but I'm a bit car-sick from your crappy driving."
LOL
Old 12-10-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by suburbanstylee
carolla and civic drivers are very good at saying some variation of: "damn i wish i knew that car was coming out." Other than that, I get something along the lines of "When you said 'Scion' i thought you meant the ugly box one.'"

i get this alot, i just cant see people actually driving one of those.....
Old 12-10-2004, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scion Evolution

Or the stupid ones...

"Scawn","Sciron", "sKion", "Seeon","Sci..Scio, how do you pronounce that?"

"Who makes that?"-"Toyota"
"Why didn't they say Toyota on the back then?"
Old 12-10-2004, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The typical facial expressions Ive been getting when I tell people I got a new scion is generally a look of disgust and absolute horror. I have to very quickly add in "no..no..not the box". That tends to soften the facial lines right away.

Most people love my car. I showed my friend (celica owner), and he just kept mumbling to himself "my car doesnt have that", and "even the back is roomy!". And he paid thousands more.

I was nice and didnt mention that toyota is discontinuing the celica because of the tC. LOL
Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

I always pronounce it "SCI-ON," although it turns out it's actually "SCI-en" according to the dictionary. Ah well...
Old 12-10-2004, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I told my friend I was getting a scion at first he thought the box and was like 'ill kill you if you get one of those' (no offense to xb's lol) and when he first saw it he was saying 'ehh its ok, I still dont like it' now (about 3 weeks later) every single time he sees me anywhere near my car with keys in hand he asks if he can drive it haha.

A lot of my coworkers were like 'a scion? whats that? is that the same company that makes those boxes?' and after they see it they say 'WOW how can you even afford this?'

So far TONS of compliments and stares from other drivers, a couple revs at stoplights as well . But overall im SO happy that I got the tC its been such a fun car for me.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Captain tC
The typical facial expressions Ive been getting when I tell people I got a new scion is generally a look of disgust and absolute horror. I have to very quickly add in "no..no..not the box". That tends to soften the facial lines right away.
yup, same here.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ska1188511
Sounds to me that your family uses their car as an extention of their.......

j/k

Who cares what they think. Are you happy with your new tC? Do you feel you made a wise choice? And most impotant, did you buy it for you or them? If you bought it for them or for anyone else because you care what they think, here's a quarter, go buy yourself some selfesteem!!!

Just kidding again...Be happy!!! I know I am....That is all that counts!!!!
Uh, I never mentioned anything in my post about if I care what others think about my car. I was just curious about the comments that other people have heard about their car; that doesn't and shouldn't imply a lack of self-esteem. I don't have an inferiority complex about my car; it's just a thing in the end.

I think people on the Internet have a tendency to read way too much into posts. I can't even post a harmless topic like this without some sort of veiled flame. Oh wait, you said "j/k", then it's OK.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:07 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I envy I'll of you with you tC, I'm still waiting.
My mom (95 Maxima) (she went with to the dealer after I told her for like 10 mintues that it was the coupe--not the football or the the box) said and I quote, "It's very cute. I like it. It looks like you."
My brother (86 325i): "The box one." 1 week later, "OHHH I saw one like the one you got (Azure Pearl) those things are hot!"
My dad still doesn't know, but he's going to love it when he takes me to the dealer. Whenevver it FINALLY decides to show up! I think that why Toyota makes good cars, they take FOREVER to make.. That's okay though I'll wait.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member

when I first was thinking about it I was going to ask some friends at work what they thought,

I think I made it to, "Hey guys what do you think of the Sci...."

and they automatically were like nooooo! don't get it its crap! I didn't even get to finish my sentence

now they're like, sweet car man
Old 12-10-2004, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont have it yet but here are some reactions ive heard after talking about it

sean (cousin) escalade w/ 24s drop system tvs blah blah - "im gona run it over with my truck"

sal (cousin) "get a honda"

mo (cousin) "dont get it, you wont be able to afford it"

ameen (cousin) "my mazda 3 is gona be faster because its smaller"

nauman (uncle) "damn bro, thats hot.."

I figure for the price of a civic EX your getting twice the car.
Based on family reaction im DEFINITELY getting this car.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone "Is that the new SKY ON"
That and "What rims are those" " Stock" "STOCK!?"
Old 12-10-2004, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

nethack4ever, whats with your friends and family saying your car is little? It's longer than a 4 door civic or lancer. : :D
Old 12-10-2004, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

...interesting!
friend Tara(02 accord) "damn that's your car, since when!?"

friend DJ(99 S10) " wanna trade cars, ill give you my s10 and my brother's!"

friend Tim(04 jeep liberty, 02 dakota, 99 eclipse, 85 mazda somekinda truck) "SICK! where dya get that!"

football teammate/trackteammate/friend Tyler (hookd up 02 ford lightening) "so how do you say it, sky-on, ehh whatever, the only way im gonna remember it skyon"

friend kaitlin (98 civic) " damn thats your car key!, thats beefy!"

track teammate Glenn (99 corolla) "SCION TC,SCION TC, SCION TC, SCION TC, SCION SCION SCION SCION SCION"... its geting old, but whatever its my car not his

track teammate Stephan(03 celica) "why didnt you get stick cheng, or even slapstick"

track teammate Phil (02 taurus) " Cool car gary cheng, but i still like my Fowd's!"

track coach S. Baker (04 dodge srt10) " Thats a lil pimpin ride.!"

co worker Robin (01 sunfire) "thats a cute looking car"

Football Teammate(02 eclipse) "sweet lil ride, but when i get my car turboed, youll be eating my dust"

Football Teammate(02 Ford Ranger) "wow, two sunroofs! its like im flying dude"

Football Head Coach(02 jeep cherokee) "go home tonight, in bed early, and dont be driving anyone home tonight in that white rocket of yours okay!, yeah im talking to you"

Football Defensive Coach(03 hyundai elantra or something) "system is sick, what did you put into it.." damn suprised when i said STOCK

Dad (05 lexus ls430) "good car, good price, but i like mine better"

Mom(05 lexus gx470) "your music is too loud!," and i said " its my car now, i listen to what i want, haha"

Quick Reply: What do your family and friends say about your car?