Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

what i would like to do to my new scion tc

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Default what i would like to do to my new scion tc

hi im new here i posted an introduction type thing here. so you can check that out. here i would like to post my future modifications and a little information along with questions and concerns so ill just jump right in.

head lights- i would like to change the headlights, im kinda leaning towards xenon lights but thats based on like 10 or 15 minutes of distracted research and im open to persuasion. my biggest and only concern being the legality of replacing oem lights with xenon lights. from what i understand its not legal to convert any type of bulb to another because the bulb and lens arent compatible and cause glare to oncoming traffic. now my question is, is it legally acceptable to replace the whole oem headlamp unit with a xenon headlamp unit (or any other type of unit that you may or may not be able to persuade me into using)

taillights-i would also like to swap my taillights, im not sure if i want the smoked look or if i want clear glass, the only concern i have is which style i want considering as far as i know there arent different types like there are headlights (im aware some taillights use leds and some dont but thats not a concern to me its just a spec as long as the taillights serve their purpose my only concern is style)

fog lights- i definitely want to add fog lights, my only debatable option is do i want the grille lights or the two in the bumper (i was set on the bumper but now im leaning towards the grille) i would like to run these to their own independent toggle switch i was thinking wire them directly to the headlights, and wire the toggle switch on the ground side of the wire. i figure this way if i forget to flip the toggle switch the fog lights will go out when i turn the headlights of as well. the only downside being i wont ever be able to use just the fog lights. which im completely ok with.

grille-i would like to change this also, theres nothing wrong with the stock grille i would just like mine to be different and unique

leds- im a huge fan of leds i enjoy playing with them, changing them from remotes and contollers, and i would like to incorporate them into my car, im thinking along the bottoms of the headlamps, and the in the grilles and i literally just thought maybe where the hood meets the bumper and why not the same on the trunk clearance providing. maybe maybe mayyyyybe run them some where in the interior of the car as well idk yet. considering these provide little to no purpose other then being awesome im going to give them their own toggle switch as well

doors- i might re-hinge the doors im super iffy about that but its a possibility

thats all i got for now for the exterior my interior plans are a little more rational

receiver-im looking for a receiver with a touch screen, gps is optional but if im going to have it, it needs to be the google gps found on android phones as thats my preferred, tried and true gps. ive come across app compatible receivers as well and id like to get one provided i can use a rhapsody app (its like netflix but for music) if these options are to specific i spose blutooth streaming will have to suffice.

dash- i would like a unique dash but from my experience dashboards are a huge pain in the ___ so im on the fence with this. might buy a kit or just paint the parts my self idk yet

dash lights- the stock lights are orange, and everyone has them ugly orange lights. if possible, they gotta go

thats it really really i mean everything else is fine, ill be surprised if anyone is interested enough to read all that but itd be much appreciated =)
Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Xenon headlight kits or conversions are not legal. Period. If you get them, you run the risk of a fix-it ticket.

Do not re-hinge your doors. just don't. it is a scion, not a lamborghini. Also, our doors are very heavy, just leave them be.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yes, it is ILLEGAL in every state to modify the stock headlight with a bulb that it is not designed for.

For various reasons, please do not install a cheap HID kit. Not only is it illegal, but it is incredibly annoying for other drivers. Despite what anyone else will tell you, you get the most light output out of the stock headlights with a HALOGEN bulb. You can take that to the bank.

Now if you want to work on a custom retrofit with ballasts and projectors that are designed to work together, that's a totally different story. However, this will involve time, skill and money.

If you're going to modify the headlights, do it right.

You can certainly change the colors of the gauges and HVAC. It has been covered a million times. search.

Pretty much everything you have posted can be searched here on SL. Since its all been covered, I have nothing else to contribute.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First thing is to realize you drive a scion...
Old 03-09-2013, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by TTCCC
First thing is to realize you drive a scion...
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here considering the fact that I'm very well aware of the kind of car I have. If you're commenting on the amount changes I wish to make, while ill admit I may be over zealous with my vision but allow me to apologize for being excited about purchasing a vehicle I'm genuinely proud of and wanting to "make it mine"? If its specifically the door hinge thing there's a reason I had strong reservations about that it was just an idea I was throwing out there. My b bro
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by markmunn
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here considering the fact that I'm very well aware of the kind of car I have. If you're commenting on the amount changes I wish to make, while ill admit I may be over zealous with my vision but allow me to apologize for being excited about purchasing a vehicle I'm genuinely proud of and wanting to "make it mine"? If its specifically the door hinge thing there's a reason I had strong reservations about that it was just an idea I was throwing out there. My b bro
I can understand the cosmetic part but when it comes to performance in my honest opinion don't mess with the car. The money people spend on performance parts is just not worth the limited performance gains. The car is very reliable stock. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:54 AM

I appreciate the clarification, sorry if I seemed a little defensive. I understand and appreciate the feedback but after I get it the way I want it to look I may or may not pursue performance enhancements I haven't put to much thought into it
Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TTCCC
The money people spend on performance parts is just not worth the limited performance gains.
All just opinion... NOTHING is a waste of time or money if it truly makes YOU happy!!!

Markmunn you make your own limits, have fun with the build and make it truly your car!!! SL has SOOOO much experience put together in one place to help you learn the pros and cons to all sorts of different mods...

Make sure to keep all of us posted when you get stuff done!!!!
Good luck!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 PM

That was my plan, making it mine. thanks for the insight. ill most def keep you guys posted on any and all mods
Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It sounds like you have a good plan going... if it were my list, I'd cut the vertical doors out of the picture completely. But it's your car, so do as you wish.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member

In Chicago no one stops you for lights but possibly in the suburbs you could get a ticket.

LEDGLOW has lots of great kits, some even plug into your iphone to change settings.

Have you thought about a catback exhaust. It changes the entire driving experience best money I ever spent was on my magnaflow catback. Just make sure you find a brand you like the tone of, check youtube.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by henry54321
In Chicago no one stops you for lights but possibly in the suburbs you could get a ticket.

LEDGLOW has lots of great kits, some even plug into your iphone to change settings.

Have you thought about a catback exhaust. It changes the entire driving experience best money I ever spent was on my magnaflow catback. Just make sure you find a brand you like the tone of, check youtube.
Yeah I'm probably going to try a full swap lens and all, I had initial reservations but after further contemplation I figured Iwouldn't get hassled as long as it doesn't appear as if I've got my high beams on which i don't want anyway cause i don't want to be a bother to others, and inspection should be a breeze considering in Jersey they cut out most of the mechanical inspection and is like 98 percent emissions (even my cutlass with no reverse passed no problem after emission tweaks)

As for the exhaust thats something ill definitely be looking into eventually, thanks for the recommendations
Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 AM
SL Member

Not sure where you live but here in Houston everyone drives around with HIDs and they always pass state anyway. also with smoked tail lights as long as its not too dark.

Performance wise scion tc can make a bunch of power. just research and you'll see. it will cost about as much as modding anything else out there. it will never be as beastly as a corvette but it will be as beastly as a stock 370z for a fraction of the cost including a turbo.

Good luck man. the tc is an awesome car. also very reliable. mine went 91000 miles all I changed was a wheel bearing and water pump. water pump is the only thing that commonly goes out on the 2azfe. lol. just keep an eye on that.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 AM

LOL I most certainly wouldn't expect it to put out like a vette but a turbo was definitely already in my mind LOL thanks for the heads up on the water pump
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 AM
SL Member

Yeah man no prob. I've worked for Toyota for 3 years. we honestly don't see a lot of tc's except for maintenance.
also as far as your fog lights, I'm not sure where you've seen them but for the two that replace the inserts in the bumper, meng motorsports has the best set. its really either that or the ugly ebay ones. lol. They're harness actually hooks up to the factory harness though so u wouldn't be able to turn them on and off at will...they'll just be on without your high beams on. its actually illegal to have them on with your highs anyway. lol.

But yeah if you'd like check out mengmotorsports. if you do go turbo one day you may be wanting to get rid of that grill anyway for the intercooler to be exposed...lol. just food for thought though. to each his own. if your paying for your car...then you have to like it.

Last edited by blushadow; 03-11-2013 at 04:36 AM.