Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]
View Poll Results: Manual or Automatic
5spd Manual
55.81%
4spd Automatic
44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of transmission does your tC have or are ordering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What kind of transmission does your tC have or are ordering?

sorry for the repost, but i accidentallyi messed up the other poll while editing it.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to say that the automatic is much smoother and, to me, gives it more of a luxury feel. On the otherhand, the manual does make it feel more sporty but it can get annoying at times. I own a 5sp and have tested the auto. If i didn't plan on modifying it, i would have went with the auto. I'm not saying the auto can't be modded, i just like the feel of control over the vehicle with a manual.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I have a 5 spd and I have driven an auto version and its a little slower than the manual but I wouldn't say the 5spd isnt smooth its a nice ride.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member

On a car with less than 250 hp & torque and performance is a priority, I would never ever buy a torque converter auto tranny.

All of the auto guys seem to come up with the excuse that they can still "force/lock/"shift" the auto tranny into a lower gear" BUT sorry that just doesn’t come anywhere near to the feel, responsiveness, and performance of a manual tranny.

You have 2 major factors in play... 1) You don't have total control 2) There is a torque converter between your engine and the transmission.

A torque converter on it's own makes it bad enough, not being able to directly shift makes it worse.

After driving both the manual & auto TC, I could never ever drive an auto TC again. If all you do is use your TC for Point A to Point B driving and getting groceries, the auto is fine.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seeing as how I have no desire to race anyone, I drive through daily traffic, and i'm terribly lazy :D I opted for the automatic.

Saying something like this though >>If all you do is use your TC for Point A to Point B driving and getting groceries, the auto is fine.<<

is absolutely retarded.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I did test drive the auto and was NOT impressed.... even thought I have yet to drive the 5-speed, that is what I ordered and will NOT settle for the auto!
Old 08-08-2004, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are reasons for buying an auto or a manual and it's entirely dependant on the decision process of the person buying it. I bought an auto. Now that doesn't mean i don't like a little spirited driving, but it also means that I don't like shifting like a madman through rush hour traffic or stop lights every block. When making my decision, I opted for the convenience of not having to constantly shift while in city or highway traffic.

Why people constantly bash on autos is beyond me. It's like you need to reinforce your own decision by putting down another's even though you don't know what kind of situation or decision process the buyer's gone through. If you like manual better, that's great. You think manual is more fun, and gives more control, good for you. But don't rain on my parade just because I decided an auto is right for me. It's my money, it's my car, and I love my car just as much as you do.

So let's not have this as another manual vs auto thread. It's been played out.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by hmmyeah
Seeing as how I have no desire to race anyone, I drive through daily traffic, and i'm terribly lazy :D I opted for the automatic.

Saying something like this though >>If all you do is use your TC for Point A to Point B driving and getting groceries, the auto is fine.<<

is absolutely retarded.

It's not retarded if you plan on enjoying driving without limitations or not make a compromise on performance on your 3000lb 160hp/160ft.lb torque car.

Has nothing to do with racing, you're not always driving in traffic.

I drive my manual TC in stop & go traffic 5 days a week. Doesn't bother me one bit, if you have owned a manual car for long enough it, becomse second nature you don't even notice your shifting. And with the extra torque the gearing on the TC, it's not bad at all.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chachunka
Why people constantly bash on autos is beyond me. It's like you need to reinforce your own decision by putting down another's even though you don't know what kind of situation or decision process the buyer's gone through. If you like manual better, that's great. You think manual is more fun, and gives more control, good for you. But don't rain on my parade just because I decided an auto is right for me. It's my money, it's my car, and I love my car just as much as you do.

So let's not have this as another manual vs auto thread. It's been played out.
I jumped the gun a little bit and posted without reading the entire thread. My mistake was assuming this was already a Manual Vs. Auto thread.

I respect people's decisions on their tranny choice, but mistakenly thought somebody already made this a "performance" debate.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read what you just said. Exactly. It's a 3000 pound car with a glass roof. Not exactly your shining definitition of an all-out performance vehicle. It's heavy, and not as rigid as it could be. If you are so angled on compromising on performance, the tC shouldn't be on your list. On the other hand, the tC is a great valued car with good performance and reliablility. Accept the tC for what it is.

As for driving in traffic, if you don't mind shifting, that's great. However, for me, the commute in my car is some of the only quality time i have to spend alone so I prefered not to have the distraction of shifting while in traffic.

Again, different strokes for different folks. What ever floats your boat.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member

uhh no it's not a performance car... I accept the TC for what it is. Except I perfer to get every bit of performance out of it which I cannot with the auto.

But than again different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just took delivery of my tc in black sand pearl. And of course it's a stick.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove both the auto and MT, the MT is much quicker, if anything due to the different gearing. HoweverI have no problem with the Auto, just wanted a stick because to me it was more fun.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

wow... it's running pretty even so far! In the allocation my car was in, there were more autos than stick..... twice as many, actually!
Old 08-09-2004, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't mean to jump on you grunge, i just didnt like the implication that all auto drivers are grocery shopping soccer moms Much as Chachunka said, I like some spirited driving now and then, but it's still about convenience for me. (As I said before, i'm a lazy SOB ) The auto tc's quickness and performance is more than enough to please my need for speed side, because if I really wanted a car for peformance reasons, I would've gone with a different car. Not to mention once the s/c comes out, i'll get more than enough hp to satisfy my speed side.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chachunka
let's not have this as another manual vs auto thread. It's been played out.
yeah... all i asked is what you have or what you're ordering. in no way did i imply which one's better, or which one i should get, or this vs. that. some of you people have a little too much pride, if you wanna bash each other's cars go here https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...541&highlight= this topic has been discussed more than enough.

please just vote for crying out loud.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
wow... it's running pretty even so far! In the allocation my car was in, there were more autos than stick..... twice as many, actually!
I remember reading that of the tC's being manufactured, something around 75% of them are autos. You will probably see more than 25% manuals in the poll because only the car enthusiast would be on a car forum, and more opt to get a manual transmission.