Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

What is the loudest aftermarket intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default What is the loudest aftermarket intake?

Wondering who makes the loudest aftermarket intake? Also the most effective performance wise?

Leaning towards getting the Weapon R. It is for a 07 tc.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why do you need a loud intake? Also if you're looking for performance nothing beats the stock intake box with an aftermarket dry panel, high flow insert. If you're looking for more horses and torque through your intake, look at buying a blitz, GReddy, or Apexi, drop in panel for your stock box. Stay away from ANYTHING that requires chemicals or additives to your intake system, all it does is dirty up your MAF, and dirty your throttle body.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ARC makes a sweet tc1 filter and I had INJEN on my tc 1 it was always a nice audible whistle while cruising
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no horsepower to be gained with an intake. just Pick whichever one sounds and looks best to you.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
There is no horsepower to be gained with an intake. just Pick whichever one sounds and looks best to you.
Yes and no Intakes free up existing horse power by letting the engine breath easier like an exhaust system it's dyno proven
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These days there really isn't much horsepower to be freed up by aftermarket exhaust and intake on non-turbo cars. On an n/a factory car, you're only going to see power gains with bolt-on parts unless you're bolting on a turbo or supercharger, or nitrous. Intakes, pulleys and header's and exhaust are small if any marginal gains that are virtually within the measure of dyno error. So if you do it, just do it for the sound and fury and driving enjoyment. Don't brag about power gains, there aren't any.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That can be an iffy question. youre like me, you love the moan of an intake. just be careful about picking cuz what is the loudest may also not be the best for acceleration. You may end up with one that bogs or "pauses" when the gas is tapped instead of picking right up. Just make sure you read all info on one and charts or better yet youtube videos before deciding.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member

"So if you do it, just do it for the sound and fury and driving enjoyment." YES

So has anyone on here tried the weapon R?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:21 AM
SL Member

There isn't one as responsive as the stock airbox. With that said, I have the K&N short ram...and as skeeter described, it bogs when I jab the throttle under load before picking up. If I were to do it all over again, I would've left my stock intake alone except for maybe a drop in filter and taken out the air silencer and the tube collecting air from the front quarter panel....just like I originally had it . That way it had the reliability and throttle response of the stock box but the "roar" of an aftermarket intake. In fact....anyone selling an 07 complete airbox assembly?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ha, sorry that just proves my initial statement, stock box for the win! How does one go about removing the silencer on a stock set-up?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member

I see subaru has silencer plastic delete for sale. the concept looks similar to deleting a stock exhaust to replace with a catback pretty cool. I see no silencer delete for scion and if you just took it off it would have an open space needing to be filled?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, sorry I forgot to edit my post, did some research and found out a lot more about the charcoal filters and the resonator on our engines. To sum it up, if you remove the resonator and charcoal filter and fill it with a 1.5" plug you will have pretty much a straight shot of air to the engine, a deeper "throatier", more aggressive sound. The reason why they have that there is because it tunes the air flow to the throttle body. Without it dynos showed a 7% loss of power, mainly in the lower rpm torque numbers. People complain about their cone filters bogging? It's because the engine doesn't have enough vacuum to suck the required air to prevent the wrong mixture/ flow of air into the plenum of the intake manifold. The tuned air, is smooth, so it won't bog and it has much better low end torque, it creates a space for more air to be in the chamber before the throttle body, this is how Toyota tuned the intake for the 2az-fe, don't mess with success. Often times factory tuning is better than the inexperienced "tuning" of consumers.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had a fujita cold air put on my 08 tc. I actually have a noticable gain of accel (and sound) even at higher gears.

If the stock parts are like letting the engine flow air through a coffee stir straw, shouldnt adding cold air, intake manifold, header and exhaust like then having air flow though a like a "jack in the box" straw improve the performance (even just a little). I know i perform better with better air flow lol!!