Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

What makes the tC a man's car and a Celica a chick's car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:04 AM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What makes the tC a man's car and a Celica a chick's car?

I'm really curious guys. I don't mean to offend any Celica guy drivers here, but I'm just pointing out a fact. I know at times the truth hurts, but I want to know.

Again, most Celica drivers I've seen have been women. Most tC drivers I've seen have been men. What do you think about the tC that drew in more men.

For me, I'd say probably the "looks". The Celica is a nice looking car, but IMO, it has a "feminine" look. Where as the tC has a more "macho" look.

I also probably think it might be the engine. Most women I know like smaller displacement and low torque cars. I know the tC isn't a torque monster like the Mustang (I see very few Mustang GT female drivers), but for some reason I think most women are afraid of power.

I think the tC is a "nice" looking car and the Celica is a "cute" looking car, and women also go for the "cute" look.

I thought about this thread because on my way home, I saw a chick with a Celica with Hello Kitty stickers on her window.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

see, i've heard nothing but the opposite from people. Celica = guys car and the tC = a chick's car.

I dont know the reasoning behind any of it though!
Old 11-05-2006, 05:15 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen more girl tC and Celica drivers while just out, but never see any at meets.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see more chicks in both i think. but i see more celicas than tc's.

and also i don't think women take displacement or torque into consideration at all when buying a car. it's all looks. there are obvious exceptions because there are some chicks out there who are into cars, but for the most part it's purely for aesthetics. they'd pick something pretty with no power over something ugly with power
Old 11-05-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think all that had happened was when Toyota started "diluting" the Celica. In the early to late 90's, the Celica wasnt very performance based..... but the ladies probably still wanted a daily driveable coupe. Others may have looked toward the Honda Prelude, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mazda MX-6, Integra GS-R, Toyota MR-2.... etc. The Celica was kind of slow, not very sporty, and expensive.
It wasnt until the last generation GT-S, which was based off the Corolla to cut costs that enthusiasts had something to be happy about from Toyota.... by then I think it was too late.
However, I wouldnt exactly call the tC a man's car..... there seems to be a good number of female tC owners on this board.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen the opposite in SoCal. I see more gals in TC's and more guys in Celicas.

They both look good, but the Celica is the sportier of the two. I'd take a Celica GT-S over a TC.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

oh great! here we go again...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hick&&start=54
Old 11-05-2006, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nothing.. "chick car", "mans car",, etc is foolish grade school crap
Old 11-05-2006, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, it is.

You can pretty much swap 'chick car' and 'guy's car' whatever model you're referring to.

Today, for instance, I stopped at a gas station. A huge, black, raised Ford--I'm talking at least a thre foot suspension raise, huge knobby tires--pulls in right behind me while I'm gasing up.

Out climbs the driver: 5'4, bleach-blonde, Roxy-wearing girl in her mid 20's.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:34 AM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd take a Celica GT-S over a TC.
I'll pass. I've driven a couple of GT-S and the novelty wears off quickly. I hate the narrow powerband. Without lift, the car is castrated. Not to mention the price. To get yourself a GTS, you'd have to start at $24,000.

$21,000 will get you a tC with a blower that will squish a GTS. Not to mention that the tC's motor has far better potential. Of course, people who get clobbered in the power department bring up handling. Not a shocker that a lighter car that was designed to handle better, WILL handle better. That's where the Celica wins. But since I don't do 80mph in the streets turning left and right every 5 seconds... handling is a moot point for me.

As for based on a Corolla, who ever said it is wrong. The only thing they share is the engine. The GT shares a Corolla's engine, but tuned differently. The Celica gets and extra 10hp, but is completely out of torque. The Corolla isn't a torque monster, but compared to a Celica GT, it's got torque. As for the Corolla XRS, that's the Celica's engine under it hood, only robbed of about 15hp. As for their chasis... it's completely different.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

inbeforemodlocksthisonetoo.

Oo..and ic plenty of girls driving tCs, alot actually, but that doesnt really bother me.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Quantice
i see more chicks in both i think. but i see more celicas than tc's.

and also i don't think women take displacement or torque into consideration at all when buying a car. it's all looks. there are obvious exceptions because there are some chicks out there who are into cars, but for the most part it's purely for aesthetics. they'd pick something pretty with no power over something ugly with power
I thought it was the other way around? Guys go for "looks" and girls go for "what's inside".....
Old 11-05-2006, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Girls are more prone to getting or wanting a car because it's pretty. Guys are more apt to buy an ugly car that'll be a beast.

I have no idea why anyone bought an xB.

Tee hee.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member

i'd take the tc anyday...much more refined look, more practical...
Old 11-05-2006, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they are both chick cars, slow 4 cilynder that most girls say is so cute, thats a chick car guys and the tc is the new celica look at the bodys and everything they discontinuted the celica for the tc
Old 11-05-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ehj
As for based on a Corolla, who ever said it is wrong. The only thing they share is the engine. The GT shares a Corolla's engine, but tuned differently. The Celica gets and extra 10hp, but is completely out of torque. The Corolla isn't a torque monster, but compared to a Celica GT, it's got torque. As for the Corolla XRS, that's the Celica's engine under it hood, only robbed of about 15hp. As for their chasis... it's completely different.
hmm.... maybe I am....... maybe I was thinking MR-2.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

depends on area. some cities i go thru has guys driving mostly tCs and some areas where i see all old people driving it.

but i do agree on seeing lots of girls driving the celica. i owned a celica and i peresonally saw a lot. but there were tons of guys on the forums and meets. so yeah, depends on area.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scion07
they are both chick cars, slow 4 cilynder that most girls say is so cute, thats a chick car guys and the tc is the new celica look at the bodys and everything they discontinuted the celica for the tc
Punctuation is your friend.

I personally could really care less if somebody calls my car a girl's car. It's still better than the Celica.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It stems from those Celica's in the early 90's (the last generation with the pop up lights) - they we designed and marketed towards to attract a wider audience (not just 21 year old men) and were very popular with women.

They never really lived it down after that.

Personally, I think they should have called it the "Celico" instead of the "Celica". "Celica' just sounds feminine.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

what makes a car a girl's car? what makes a car a guy's car?

the owner.

we're done here, thanks.

Quick Reply: What makes the tC a man's car and a Celica a chick's car?