2005-2010 [ANT10]

What RPM VVT-i engage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What RPM VVT-i engage?

I did a search and I couldn't find if this has been discussed before.

I assume VVT-i works like Vtec. If so, what RPM do the valves open up wide at?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Actually it doesnt kick in at a certain rpm like v-tech. VVT-i works all the time.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

vvt-i(variable valve timing with inteligence) means that the ecu controls the timing which will advance or retard the timing
vvtL-i(variable valve timing w/lift with inteligence) same as above but also have the capability of what v-tec does for the honda motors.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"
about the VVT-i:
toyota?s intelligent continuously variable valve timing system is more advanced than the basic systems in some German luxury vehicles and Japanese small cars.
scions have the latest-generation TMC-developed vane-type VVT-i control, which debuted on Prius and Lexus IS200. VVT-i provides continual variations of the intake valve timing, to match the engine?s operating conditions. This improves performance and fuel efficiency, and reduces vibration on engine start-up and shut-down.

1NZ-FE's inlet timing can be varied over a range of 60 degrees relative to crankshaft angle, to provide optimum valve timing for the full range of driving conditions.

Inlet camshaft timing is varied according to engine revolutions, throttle position, engine coolant temperature and intake air volume. The maximum retard setting provides zero valve overlap. (There is a five degree period between the exhaust valve closing and inlet opening.) Inlet cam timing is set to the maximum retard position for engine start-up, operation at low engine temperature, idle and engine shut-down. The maximum advance setting provides 55 degrees of valve overlap.

VVT-i Activation:
the scion's VVT-i is a computer controlled and oil-pressure activated push- push type system. The engine ECU can command the system to advance or retard the inlet camshaft timing, thereby providing for faster response. The hardware is a camshaft timing oil control valve mounted adjacent to the inlet camshaft gear wheel and a VVT-i controller mechanism built onto the inlet camshaft timing gear. The camshaft timing oil control valve is a spool valve, controlled via a coil and plunger by the engine ECU. It can signal "advance", "hold" or "retard". The VVT-i controller consists of a housing on the front of the timing wheel, driven from the timing chain, and a four-bladed vane coupled with the intake camshaft."
Old 10-15-2004, 03:46 PM

Basicly vvt-i is on when you start the car and montitors everything the motor does. Vtec is way different, that is why you cannot compare a honda to a scion.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didnt know we had such a fancy motor :oops:
Old 10-16-2004, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yea, the only toyota thing that is similar to honda's vtec is vvtLi which is not in any of the scion's.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:38 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

vvtl-i would be similiar to vtec. "l" standing for lift.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my motor has its own alphabet! vvt-i

YAY
Old 10-19-2004, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by firesquare
my motor has its own alphabet! vvt-i

YAY
don't forget 1NZ-FE too
Old 12-06-2004, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brownbanana
yea, the only toyota thing that is similar to honda's vtec is vvtLi which is not in any of the scion's.

VVTL-i is similar to iVTEC, found in the newer K seriese Honda motors.

As I understand it VVT-i does more than old-school SOHC VTEC, but less than iVTEC.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Basicly vvt-i is on when you start the car and montitors everything the motor does. Vtec is way different, that is why you cannot compare a honda to a scion.
They aren't very different at all actually.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but the important thing here is they BOTH use oil pressure to switch to a second set of lobes on the cam at a certain RPM. That's what we're talking about. That's what VVT-i and VTEC and Mitsubishi MIVEC and BMW vanos and so on all do in one way or another.

It has nothing to so with starting up the car and monitoring everything the motor does. We're talking about variable valve timing.

Maybe you're confusing VVT-i with the ECU/ECM?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

another never ending thread. . . it's funny because I've seen this kinda thread like 8 times before, and nobody changes their mind or learns anything, but is convinced of the superiority of their own stupidity. It's so futile to even post about VVT-I vs VVTL-I vs VTEC. . . really anybody who wants to endlessly argue this out, is in my opinion, completely retarded. Let the """"""""racers""""""""" think that VVT-I makes them faster than a Ferrari, and let the Honda fans swear they are superior than Toyota's with the almight VTEC. . . who cares. We only make 108hp anyway, I mean c'mon! . . .this is just my $.02. . .

But to answer the original question, VVT-I is similar but different than VTEC. . . it does not open the valves "wide" but longer. It changes the duration/timing/overlap. VTEC affects the angle to which the valves are opened. VVT-I is exactly that; variable. It never "kicks in."
Old 12-06-2004, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

for Toyota's very own definition of VVT-I, go to http://www.toyota.com/planetkaizen/, click "enter", click "explore", click "vehicles", click "Echo", click "VVT-I".

There is no direct link, as it is flash. THey give a VERY in depth explanation, since those who know nothing love to show off their ignorance of how VVT-I works, and those who know their stuff fail to realize that the stupid people just don't care what they think.

A proper definition from an irrefutable source lies at that link. . .

Ok, and I'm really sorry. . . I'm kinda tired and kranky. . . I really apologize. This topic has been beaten to death so often, it's really quite rediculous.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here are threads about it. not sure what your were searching for

vvti and vtec

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=vtec+vvti