Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

What are the Scion advantages over the Ford Focus?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default What are the Scion advantages over the Ford Focus?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and was hoping you could help me out with some things. Currently, I'm leasing a Ford Focus and my lease is up in March. I've started looking into the Scion tC for my possible next car, but had some questions for ya. There doesn't seem to be a lot of "official" performance parts for the tC. Are there a lot of aftermarket parts available? Are there any turbos or superchargers available? Also, how many different body kits are out for the tC? The Focus seems to offer a lot of different options, but I'm just not crazy about my zx3 hatchback look. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

there are a lot of power mods to chose from intakes,headers,exhaust,turbos and theres more on the way! yes there is a supercharger thats actually made by toyota themselves. You might be able to order it onto your car if u wait out for acouple of months. Good luck with your new tC. You wont regret it!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well one reason you dont see a huge aftermarket support for the tC is , technically its still in its infant form . The car hasnt been out as long as the Focus has . But turbo kits and performance products are making their way to the public . There are a few turbo kits presently being made as we speak and most of them are nearly final design and getting ready for sale (from what I have read) . As for the focus it had its time in the sun and its passing , the tC is the new hot thing on the street (so it seems) . I have noticed around here a jump in the number of tCs on the road . Hell I remember when they first released it they had like nothing for support LOL . Give it time I am sure there will be more aftermarket support . By the way , go for the tC you will like
Old 06-10-2005, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing the tc got over the focus is it aint ugly
Old 06-10-2005, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude....it's a focus...do u really need to be askin that question...
Old 06-10-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyota > ford
Old 06-10-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, if you don't get the Focus EX you can't put an "S" in front of it.

I mean...StC doesn't look right.

I wouldn't think that would be a buying factor but hey...
Old 06-10-2005, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member

The advantage the tC has is you should not have a recall notice every month. Seriously the Focus is the most recalled car ever made.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ZX3 and really any Focus is crap. I can't believe there is even a question as to which one is better. My ex blew his ZX3 up at the track on a 75 shot.... best thing that ever happened to that hideous pile of donkey excrement.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are certainly many advantages. A few of the big ones are:
The tC will hold its value better.
The tC will have better build quality (built in Japan.)
The tC will last longer (for many reasons, but the Toyota engine alone will last for many more miles without trouble vs. the Ford engine.)
Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TC is way better
Old 06-10-2005, 09:39 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by maximus96
toyota > ford
That says it all. Mainly due to quality.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by JasonH
..... but the Toyota engine alone will last for many more miles without trouble vs. the Ford engine.)
That is questionable.

There is no doubting the Scions higher build quality, and better looks.... those are granted.

But the newer 2.3L and 2.0L Duratec engines in the Focus are wonderful engines. The Duratec 4 cylinder engines, especially the hard to find 2.3L version, are capable of gobs of power with relatively simple bolt on modifications. I dont have the time to post the history of the Duratec engine, but do a search for Duratec and you will see names like Cosworth and Mazda associated with the research, engineering, and development.

But, how often does an ENGINE fail.... pretty rarely these days actually, no matter the make. Usually it is the accessories that are junk (water pump, power steering unit, A/C compressor, etc).
Old 06-10-2005, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by farberio
Well, if you don't get the Focus EX you can't put an "S" in front of it.

I mean...StC doesn't look right.

I wouldn't think that would be a buying factor but hey...

you could put an "X" in front of tC

XtC

tC = Sexy
Focus = Not Sexy
Old 06-10-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^

Whatever. If you're going to squeeze more power from an engine, I'd rather do it with the tC's timing CHAIN driven engine vs the duratec's timing BELT system.

I had a timing belt snap at 40,000 miles on a Ford. Haven't trusted 'em since.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Draxas_VP

But, how often does an ENGINE fail.... pretty rarely these days actually, no matter the make. Usually it is the accessories that are junk (water pump, power steering unit, A/C compressor, etc).
Switches and sensors, too...
I see way more Ford/Maz vehicles than I do with Toyo/Lex...
Nissan ain't great, either. They have a mess of recalls also.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well unlike the ford focus, the scion tc DOESNT suck
Old 06-11-2005, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member

Well, I test drove the tC and the xA today and I must say I am impressed. The tC I drove was dropped an inch and a half, sported the body kit, fog lights, 18 inch rims, performance exhaust, and had a 2 layer vinyl on the sides. Let's just say I wanted to take this thing home today! The xA was no slouch either, it had a cold air intake, exhaust, black rims, and a blue fabric on the seats. Both were fun drives. Funny thing though, the xA seemed to have a better feel of the clutch compared to the tC, a little better response, but the xA had some trouble on a steep hill due to a lack in hp. Overall I was impressed with my experience with Scion. Everything from the drive of the cars to the treatment I received from the dealers. This is a definite possiblity when my lease is up. Well done Scion, well done.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sold a Focus SVT to get my TC and in stock form, the SVT owns the TC performance-wise. Better handling and more power. The 170hp SVT engine is very sweet- free revving and 7,300 RPM redline. Slick 6 speed tranny.

Little short on low end and the gearing is too tall, but it was a blast to drive. Too bad they don't make it anymore. Never had any mechanical problems of any significance, even with pretty hard use.

I like the looks of the TC a lot better. I like having a little more low end. The TC seems a little wheezy on the top end in comparison, but its OK. Eventually I just got bored with the SVT, though. I'll have the TC faster and handling better soon enough.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
^^^

Whatever. If you're going to squeeze more power from an engine, I'd rather do it with the tC's timing CHAIN driven engine vs the duratec's timing BELT system.

I had a timing belt snap at 40,000 miles on a Ford. Haven't trusted 'em since.
Looks like you need to do a little more research before you start spouting off about specs regarding the Ford Duratec engines. The 2.0 and 2.3L Duratec engines utilize a timing chain, not a belt.

Quick Reply: What are the Scion advantages over the Ford Focus?