Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

What TC Mods do you consider "Ricey"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you had one small sticker on your car, I would probably say its ok. Key word here is SMALL. More than one small sticker IMO is too much, along with one big sticker.

Take a look at this car. IMO That banner decal on his windshield has gotta go, along with that NOS sticker, and the one below it on the side of his car. The only sticker thats small enough to stay is the one on the hood, but it needs to be in a better place than that.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Morphology and growth of the rice plant

MORPHOLOGY

Cultivated rice is generally considered a semiaquatic annual grass, although in the tropics it can survive as a perennial, producing new tillers from nodes after harvest (ratooning). At maturity the rice plant has a main stem and a number of tillers. Each productive tiller bears a terminal flowering head or panicle. Plant height varies by variety and environmental conditions, ranging from approximately 0.4 m to over 5 m in some floating rices. The morphology of rice is divided into the vegetative phases (including germination, seedling, and tillering stages) and the reproductive phases (including panicle initiation and heading stages).

Seeds. The rice grain, commonly called a seed, consists of the true fruit or brown rice (caryopsis) and the hull, which encloses the brown rice. Brown rice consists mainly of the embryo and endosperm. The surface contains several thin layers of differentiated tissues that enclose the embryo and endosperm.

The palea, lemmas, and rachilla constitute the hull of indica rices. In japonica rices, however, the hull usually includes rudimentary glumes and perhaps a portion of the pedicel. A single grain weighs about 10-45 mg at 0% moisture content. Grain length, width, and thickness vary widely among varieties. Hull weight averages about 20% of total grain weight.

Seedlings. Germination and seedling development start when seed dormancy has been broken and the seed absorbs adequate water and is exposed to a temperature ranging from about 10 to 40 oC. The physiological definition of germination is usually the time when the radicle or coleoptile (embryonic shoot) emerge from the ruptured seed coat. Under aerated conditions the seminal root is the first to emerge through the coleorhiza from the embryo, and this is followed by the coleoptile. Under anaerobic conditions, however, the coleoptile is the first to emerge, with the roots developing when the coleoptile has reached the aerated regions of the environment. If the seed develops in the dark as when seeds are sown beneath the soil surface, a short stem (mesocotyl) develops, which lifts the crown of the plant to just below the soil surface. After the coleoptile emerges it splits and the primary leaf develops.

Tillering plants. Each stem of rice is made up of a series of nodes and internodes. The internodes vary in length depending on variety and environmental conditions, but generally increase from the lower to upper part of the stem. Each upper node bears a leaf and a bud, which can grow into a tiller. The number of nodes varies from 13 to 16 with only the upper 4 or 5 separated by long internodes. Under rapid increases in water level some deepwater rice varieties can also increase the lower internode lengths by over 30 cm each. The leaf blade is attached at the node by the leaf sheath, which encircles the stem. Where the leaf blade and the leaf sheath meet is a pair of clawlike appendages, called the auricle, which encircle the stem. Coarse hairs cover the surface of the auricle. Immediately above the auricle is a thin, upright membrane called the ligule. The tillering stage starts as soon as the seedling is self supporting and generally finishes at panicle initiation. Tillering usually begins with the emergence of the first tiller when seedlings have five leaves. This first tiller develops between the main stem and the second leaf from the base of the plant. Subsequently when the 6th leaf emerges the second tiller develops between the main stem and the 3d leaf from the base.

Tillers growing from the main stem are called primary tillers. These may generate secondary tillers, which may in turn generate tertiary tillers. These are produced in a synchronous manner. Although the tillers remain attached to the plant, at later stages they are independent because they produce their own roots. Varieties and races of rice differ in tillering ability. Numerous environmental factors also affect tillering including spacing, light, nutrient supply, and cultural practices.

The rice root system consists of two major types: crown roots (including mat roots) and nodal roots. In fact both these roots develop from nodes, but crown roots develop from nodes below the soil surface. Roots that develop from nodes above the soil surface usually are referred to as nodal roots. Nodal roots are often found in rice cultivars growing at water depths above 80 cm. Most rice varieties reach a maximum depth of 1 m or deeper in soft upland soils. In flooded soils, however, rice roots seldom exceed a depth of 40 cm. That is largely a consequence of limited O2 diffusion through the gas spaces of roots (aerenchyma) to supply the growing root tips.

Panicle and spikelets. The major structures of the panicle are the base, axis, primary and secondary branches, pedicel, rudimentary glumes, and the spikelets. The panicle axis extends from the panicle base to the apex; it has 8-10 nodes at 2- to 4-cm intervals from which primary branches develop. Secondary branches develop from the primary branches. Pedicels develop from the nodes of the primary and secondary branches; the spikelets are positioned above them. Since rice has only one fully developed floret (flower) per spikelet, these terms are often used interchangeably. The flower is enclosed in the lemma and palea, which may be either awned or awnless. The flower consists of the pistil and stamens, and the components of the pistil are the stigmas, styles, and ovary.

GROWTH

The growth duration of the rice plant is 3-6 months, depending on the variety and the environment under which it is grown. During this time, rice completes two distinct growth phases: vegetative and reproductive. The vegetative phase is subdivided into germination, early seedling growth, and tillering; the reproductive phase is subdivided into the time before and after heading, i.e., panicle exsertion. The time after heading is better known as the ripening period (see chart below).

Potential grain yield is primarily determined before heading. Ultimate yield, which is based on the amount of starch that fills the spikelets, is largely determined after heading. Hence, agronomically it is convenient to regard the life history of rice in terms of three growth phases: vegetative, reproductive, and ripening. A 120-day variety, when planted in a tropical environment, spends about 60 d in the vegetative phase, 30 d in the reproductive phase, and 30 d in the ripening phase.

Vegetative phase. The vegetative phase is characterized by active tillering, gradual increase in plant height, and leaf emergence at regular intervals. Tillers that do not bear panicles are called ineffective tillers. The number of ineffective tillers is a closely examined trait in plant breeding since it is undesirable in irrigated varieties, but sometimes an advantage in rainfed lowland varieties where productive tillers or panicles may be lost due to unfavorable conditions.

Reproductive phase. The reproductive growth phase is characterized by culm elongation (which increases plant height), decline in tiller number, emergence of the flag leaf (the last leaf), booting, heading, and flowering of the spikelets. Panicle initiation is the stage about 25 d before heading when the panicle has grown to about 1 mm long and can be recognized visually or under magnification following stem dissection.

Spikelet anthesis (or flowering) begins with panicle exsertion (heading), or on the following day. Consequently, heading is considered a synonym for anthesis in rice. It takes 10-14 d for a rice crop to complete heading because there is variation in panicle exsertion among tillers of the same plant and among plants in the same field. Agronomically, heading is usually defined as the time when 50% of the panicles have exserted.

Anthesis normally occurs between 1000 and 1300 h in tropical environments and fertilization is completed within 6 h. Only very few spikelets have anthesis in the afternoon, usually when the temperature is low. Within the same panicle it takes 7-10 d for all the spikelets to complete anthesis; the spikelets themselves complete anthesis within 5 d. Ripening follows fertilization, and may be subdivided into milky, dough, yellow-ripe, and maturity stages. These terms are primarily based on the texture and color of the growing grains. The length of ripening varies among varieties from about 15 to 40 d.

Ripening is also affected by temperature with ranges from about 30 d in the tropics to 65 d in cool, temperate regions such as Hokkaido, Japan, and Yanco, NSW, Australia.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
You don’t mess with another mans car.
There is a difference between "messing" and talking, tough guy.....

If i keyed your ricemobile, I'd expect a confrontation. If i said you car looks dumb, i'd let you take a shot then sue your dumbass for whatever it's worth. I mean, it's just my opinion, right?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think 'roll calls" are fine... they just cant be over kill... I have my car club sticker on my front windshield... but when you put ___ ___ stickers on the side that dont even go with your ride... then thats rice....

WHY DONT PEOPLE JUST POST UP TC'S THEY THINK ARE RICEY AND WE WILL PUT IN OUR 2 CENTS....
Old 05-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How 'bout a simple def?

riced = done in pretentious bad taste

Just like kitsch.

(Don't know? Look it up.)
Old 05-15-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^I didn't know what it meant, so I looked it up. For those of you who would be too lazy to educated yourself, I'll make it easy on you.

1. Sentimentality or vulgar, often pretentious bad taste, especially in the arts: “When money tries to buy beauty it tends to purchase a kind of courteous kitsch” (William H. Gass).
2. An example or examples of kitsch.

adj.

Of, being, or characterized by kitsch: “The kitsch kitchen... has aqua-and-white gingham curtains and rubber duck-yellow walls painted in a fried-egg motif” (Suzanne Cassidy).

Sounds like the right word to use.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if an artist would jam a paintbrush in my ear if I expressed a negative opinion about his work. I don't believe so, but them Van Gogh cut his own ear off, so who knows.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jrv2000
If you had one small sticker on your car, I would probably say its ok. Key word here is SMALL. More than one small sticker IMO is too much, along with one big sticker.

Take a look at this car. IMO That banner decal on his windshield has gotta go, along with that NOS sticker, and the one below it on the side of his car. The only sticker thats small enough to stay is the one on the hood, but it needs to be in a better place than that.
i disagree, whats the point in even having a sticker if others can't see it!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by MesSCIah

If i keyed your ricemobile, I'd expect a confrontation. If i said you car looks dumb, i'd let you take a shot then sue your dumbass for whatever it's worth. I mean, it's just my opinion, right?
i think ur missing the point! his warning is that sure , maybe only 20% of the people might hit you, but what if you say it to the wrong .01% that might do worst!? how will you sue if you're dead?

and also your opinions isn't always safe to be expressed. would you go up to a black guy and say "i hate you n******s" or a chinese person and say "i hate you c****s"?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nizzle

i disagree, whats the point in even having a sticker if others can't see it!
Ok, lets take it one step further. Whats the point of having a NOS sticker on your car, when more than likely, you dont have NOS. And even if you did actually have NOS on your car, whats the point in turning your car into a billboard that lists your current mods. IMO it makes it looks trashy.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread reminds me of my street racing days. The rule of thumb was to watch your mouth because you never know who's packing. Anything you did say you had damn well better be able to back up in a drag. And, just because I prefered to actually get paid when I won a bet, be a gracious winner. "I bet you're not done modding that ride yet" was a common phrase.

That aside, anyone that can't handle some criticism has got anger management issues and a serious inferiority complex. Good thing this guy dialtone is more into cosmetic mods and not serious performance mods. He'd probably burst a blood vessel if he ever got in a race and lost.

I also predict that if this thread goes on long enough, it will be locked.

Oh, and about rice. I don't know that rice is the right word, but I saw a SSM tC that was covered in bumper stickers on the back and a couple on the side of the car too. It looked cheap, tacky, and ugly. And yes, one of them one a scion life sticker...
Old 05-16-2005, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by fivepointnine
hey, I have 18" chrome wheels, but I dont think they are overkill though.

Yea I second that mine came stock on my TC ;) R$ 1.0 so dont hate!!
now RICEY hmm can we say APC stickers!!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think ur missing the point! his warning is that sure , maybe only 20% of the people might hit you, but what if you say it to the wrong .01% that might do worst!? how will you sue if you're dead?

and also your opinions isn't always safe to be expressed. would you go up to a black guy and say "i hate you n******s" or a chinese person and say "i hate you c****s"?
First off.... if any person is willing to kill someone because somebody else told them they drove a rediculous looking car, they shouldn't be driving.....they should be grabbing steel bars......really, boys.....time to grow up

And, really good example man.....very classy....
Old 05-16-2005, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

First off.... if any person is willing to kill someone because somebody else told them they drove a rediculous looking car, they shouldn't be driving.....they should be grabbing steel bars......really, boys.....time to grow up

And, really good example man.....very classy....
k. do what you want . -i hope you stay in suburbia forever for your own safety
im done - this thread will probably get locked soon anyway
Old 05-16-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

k. do what you want . -i hope you stay in suburbia forever for your own safety im done - this thread will probably get locked soon anyway
k, i will. Probably will get locked, which is too bad. Started off as a question and ended with all the tough guys flexing their internet muscles.....
Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

think of it this way...would you go up to a stranger and tell them that their wife is ugly and that their daughter looks so horrific that she couldn't get laid at a maximum security prison? well some people feel that way about their cars, or other personal stuff. thinking its safe to give your opinion no matter how "safe" you think it is can get you into real big trouble with the wrong person. if you are willing to risk your life just to tell someone what you think is your own gamble.

kinda like a muscle car nut coming to a scionlife forum or a scion meet and telling all the members that scions are for homos. im pretty sure he'll get a warm and fuzzy welcome.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

wait wait wait whoooooaa nobody else caught the double dog dare in there huh!?!??!?!?! can we expand on how serious this guy is, you dont double dog dare unless you mean it!!!! man that was a good laugh

on a somewhat serious/not really note,
this topic is in the eye of the be-holder...everyone has thier own style, dont get caught up in defining what rice is and what it isnt...if you have to second guess....it probably is, also, people put heart into the work they do...if anything appriciate the fact that someone has the passion to personalize....after-all you can put any grpahic or decal on a car...but nothing is worse than a car that has been under a tree too long and been covered in bird $h*t
Old 05-16-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tiny
think of it this way...would you go up to a stranger and tell them that their wife is ugly and that their daughter looks so horrific that she couldn't get laid at a maximum security prison? well some people feel that way about their cars, or other personal stuff. thinking its safe to give your opinion no matter how "safe" you think it is can get you into real big trouble with the wrong person. if you are willing to risk your life just to tell someone what you think is your own gamble.

kinda like a muscle car nut coming to a scionlife forum or a scion meet and telling all the members that scions are for homos. im pretty sure he'll get a warm and fuzzy welcome.
If someone is willing to chance getting thrown in prison for assault, and waste away a good portion of their life over someone not liking their car, they are MORONS. Plain and simple. If its your wife/daughter/girlfriend its kind of different because they have feelings. A car on the otherhand is a piece of f'in metel. It has no feelings, and if you call it rice it does not know better, it doesn't get psychologically damaged.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If someone is willing to chance getting thrown in prison for assault, and waste away a good portion of their life over someone not liking their car, they are MORONS. Plain and simple. If its your wife/daughter/girlfriend its kind of different because they have feelings. A car on the otherhand is a piece of f'in metel. It has no feelings, and if you call it rice it does not know better, it doesn't get psychologically damaged.
thats exactly it.... would you take the risk and see if the person you are criticizing will assault/ kill you or not? plus, how will you know if the person gets away from doing what they did? there sure are a lot of unsolved murder cases out there.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats exactly it.... would you take the risk and see if the person you are criticizing will assault/ kill you or not? plus, how will you know if the person gets away from doing what they did? there sure are a lot of unsolved murder cases out there.
Personally I wouldn't walk up to anyone and start criticizing them for their because I am a decent person, and their cars looks dont directly effect me. Sure I'll be laughing inside at how stupid their car looks, but I'm not going to walk up to them and tell them. My previous post was to point out how you really cant compare a human being to a car. Their entirely different things, and people will react accordingly to which one you insult.

Quick Reply: What TC Mods do you consider "Ricey"?