Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

What would you like in a ride-n-drive Tc event? Feedback plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, Id say skip "exposing" the same model that scion has had for 4 years straight, making 09 a 5th year.

Scion should do this the next line tC replacement. Your honestly wasting your time. I think EVERYONE knows by now what the tC is, what its performance level is at what its price point is at, and what other cars fall into that level. And Nick also hit it on the head. Scion DOES A GREAT JOB of promoting events, give aways, showing off parts, bringing in racing celebs, even setting up auto-x and drag strips. Music, food, prizes, games are always involved. I hope this isnt a Obama strategy, you know the "not sure what it is, but I can make it better" deal.

Some of us know scion reps in our "area's" and have met SEVERAL at shows. and you know what? THEY LISTEN when you tell them things, so as a 5th year in the industry, I think they know how to take care of their customers.

ALSO I think about you getting paid, or a contract by using ideas that scionlife users are posting. This is something that YOU should do the reasearch for, spend days and days and days reading all the SL topics, and compile your OWN ideas to present to someone.

This is like me posting a question on a specific book in school, asking for "what did everyone like best about whatever" then taking ALL those, and compiling my report and not having to read it.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:13 PM

No, this is a contract that other vendors are competing for. While yes, Scion Marketing is very on top of things, Toyota needs more excitement built around the updated-for-09 TC, specifically dealer-hosted events, and that's what I'm working on here.

There wouldn't be people attempting to come up with a plan like this in a boardroom somewhere if Toyota/Scion hadn't asked a bunch of vendors first.

I'm not making any more money doing this than anything else, but rest assured I'mtalking to you guys to verify what I already had in mind as part of the master gameplan and get ideas for what would or would not work based on the experience I already have. I'm not so overconfident as to assume I know everything.

A little bit about me:
I've done all kinds of research, and read everything about every car that's come out for the past several years, from the prototype/spyshots stage to production. I'm a member of quite a few online forums, and I am an auto enthusiast above all else.
some of my old forums were:
gotz.com
socalz.org
absolutez.org
ford truck enthusiasts
jalopnik.com
TCCoA.com
SCCoA.com
cardomain
autoweek.com
speedtv.com
Fiero.nl
club4ag

I'm not at all new to the car game, nor should there be any question about a lack of research having been done. In my nissan days around 2002-2005, I went to *every* Nissan event in the SoCal area, have been to numerous autocrosses, attended every ride-n-drive event that I can get to, and have researched quite a few cars in great detail. Read tons of forums researching cars I thought might be cool to own, and have done my due diligence to know everything I possibly can about the auto industry, what's new, what's old...

I'm also an avid Top Gear viewer.

I knew about the SL forums before I even thought about this project. It's not even a project really, just a group of ideas.

I've had tons of under-the-hood experience, starting with my toyota camry and ranging through a number of cars, such as my 79 280ZX, '87 AE86 corolla SR5 notch, S12 200SX silvia, Fiero GT and ranges through to my current 96 Ford Thunderbird LX dd/sleeper canyon carver.

I am an enthusiast before all else, but I want you guys to know that I am not trying to make money off of your ideas. That's pretty messed up and I don't want you guys to think that's what I'm up to.

So, I was asked yesterday to come up with an idea for a Scion Ride-n-Drive event.
First thing I asked was "who is this marketed to?"
This was critical, because Scion itself has said they regret labeling themselves as a youth brand as many people are turned off when they see their grandma driving an xB.
So, I'll go over really quickly what my idea was:
The original plan was always a carshow coupled with Toyota's ride-n-drive event, I figured a short autocross style course, a key accessory display with aftermarket vendors in addition to Scion Genuine parts . I was up in the air about whether or not independent dealers would have budget for food, but then I figured most dealers already have a BBQ for their sales events, so hotdogs n burgers really shouldn't be a problem.
I was also undecided about whether or not t-shirts and hats were a good idea.
I just got a shirt from Nissan promoting the launch of the new cube and I also really liked the DNxA iron ons I got a few years ago. I was pretty sure I wanted there to be an iron-on giveaway and maybe something else, what, I couldn't remember.
I don't know if Scion is still giving away the keychains at events, but you guys did jar my memory about the Scion keychain I got at the brand launch at the auto show a few years ago.

I also remembered the All-Nissan car show at Mossy Nissan back in 02, and my work at Jiffylube getting radio stations there. Radio publicity was always a thought. There's gotta be music some way.
It's too easy just to say "get a radio station to come"... there should be music like KROQ and Power106 and Y100, or their regional equivalents.

If my local jiffylube can get Power 106 to show up, it shouldn't be a big deal for a car dealer to bring one out to an offsite event.

There was always the issue of powering the event, since it'd be offsite.

I figured that nobody would like an event actually at the dealer, as space/parking is usually pretty limited, there would be no space to drive the car, no space to hang out, and then the scary vulture sales guys.
Therefore, a large lot was a must.
I was also debating whether or not to have the dealerships host the event at a drag strip, but that really wouldn't showcase the car's suspension and handling.

And then being authentic and knowing the fricken product.
I hate that when I show up to shows and I know more about the product than the reps, and you guys absolutely confirmed my notion that I was dead-on with that.

I also needed to know whether or not I was right about the event needing to be held in the afternoon/evening or on a weekend.

Trust me, I am not sourcing my ideas from you guys, I am asking for *feedback* as to whether or not I have it right.

I've been to scionlife before, too, except this was back when I was researching whether or not I wanted to buy an xB or tC, hence why I thought of you guys here when I thought, "I need some feedback from other enthusiasts."
I need you guys' input because I don't want to end up with an event like rev-it-up where seasoned autocross guys show up in their totally modded out vettes and porsches, complete with trophy wife, and ruin the event.

Guys, I'm an auto enthusiast the same as you, I know all about the tC, how it can be converted to rear-wheel drive thanks to its Toyota Avensis platform, among other things (I even had thoughts like "If I got an Avensis AWD drivetrain, could I make it work on a tC?" of course, we all think about crazy stuff like that once and a while, right?)
While I don't own a tC right now (maybe at some point in the future), I'm thinking as if I were personally arranging an event for you guys.

While I have other ideas about what best would reinvigorate the tC's image, given what I have to work with here I have a chance to actually make something happen nationwide...

Ultimately, this is supposed to be developing an event for you guys. My attitude is "Would I go to this?"
At this point, yeah, I'd go. I'm working this exactly how I used to do my research arranging the meets for SoCalZ.org when that site/club was still around.

Now, I have another question for you guys.
How long should the course be?
I was thinking of following the kind of set up the demo course used at Mazda's Zoom Zoom live or at Rev-it-up racing school... Accel, braking, slalom, lateral cornering, a straight, another sweeper, another slalom (to slow you down) and then end.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who has given me some feedback, it should make for a much better event and clears the air of some of the other ideas that were being thrown around on my end.

Once again, huge thanks to everyone here.

Nick G
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

torque does bring up a good point about the longevity of the tC, and i think he is on to something in regards to try to build hype about the current model, especially if it is on its way out...

hey nick, i wonder if the Veterans Stadium (near LBCC) parking area would be enough room to host this event.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I guess my whole issue with it is, EVERYTHING, you have stated as wanting, we already get, ALL THE TIME!!

We have these events very often with EXACTLY TO THE "T" THE SAME THINGS YOU ARE PROPOSING. If you want to do this, you need to think of something different, and thats going to be very hard to do.

But if you do it as you propose, you will get ALOT of participation, thats not a doubt in my mind. But my point is, Scion already does all of this, so I dont see you making it that far off the ground, especially if you are competing against other marketing vendors. If you want to stand out and win this you need to think of something above what is already normal weekends for us.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

A short autocross-type course to show off how well the TC handles, accelerates and brakes.
I was also thinking of having both the supercharged and the NA versions available to test drive. We talked about having customer cars out on the course but I think insurance may be an issue on that, so it'll just be cars as you can get em from the dealer at the moment.
While I can't compare the tC to many other cars in terms of handling the general census around here is the tC is great on handling if you upgrade tires, sways, springs/shocks. I think driving a stock tC would lure people away from the car if your going to set something up like a course stick with the supercharged loaded model.

What lured me to Scion was how every car c an be customized personally to be unique. I think Scion is already doing a good job demonstrating this by holding VIP shows and events! The Scion United Commercial was amazing and is further evidence of what Scion should keep doing in the future.[/url]