Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

who would win tc vs rsx type s

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VTEC is easy to keep in VTEC... The Celica was the tricky one with a very small range of "lift".
Old 12-17-2004, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

RSX
Old 12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member

I own an '02 RSX-S and just bought an FM tC for my gf in Oct so I'm quite familiar with both cars and no, the tC wouldn't come close to touching a Type-S with a competent driver. Now a base RSX, I agree with others, it would definitely be a drivers race.

Just to address some of the comments that have been posted:
'05 RSX-S versus 02-04 RSX-S: The C&D article mentions a 0-60 improvement of 0.1 seconds (6.3 versus 6.2) while quarter times are 15.0 versus 14.9. Remember, we're only talking a difference of 10HP, so the performance gains are minimal, the main improvements IMO come from the steering and the new seats/gauges, the exterior stuff is good too I guess. Acura also added more insulation to quiet the cabin down a bit (if you like that sort of thing), but with the exception of the cams, most of the performance improvements are pretty minor.

The tC's torque advantage will allow it to take the Type-S to maybe about 25MPH, but at that point the RSX-S is approaching VTEC and the RSX-S driver won't have to shift to 2nd until he hits 45-50MPH (although I believe the shift point is 35-40 on the '05, cant remember) and once you get into VTEC you don't get out of it unless you are a terrible driver and don't know how to shift properly. As vAnt mentioned, this was only a problem for the Celica, RSX's are very easy to keep in VTEC through all gears. In fact I agree with everthing vAnt said. One thing a lot of RSX-S users are doing now is Hondata ECU reflash, which will kick in VTEC even lower RPM and raise the redline to 8600. This is a $650 upgrade that gives the RSX-S a fatter torque curve and more power.

Basically don't buy the tC for its speed (I think of mine as a sporty 2-door Camry), buy it because at the moment, it delivers more bang for the buck than any car in its class. That is why I bought it for my gf and I don't regret the purchase. Cost of ownership is better too (lower insurance and you don't have to buy premium gas like you do for the RSX-S) but that's another story...
Old 12-17-2004, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brian
You shouldn't think like that though, since then I could say I could go out and buy a base civic for $12k, and then put $4.5k into it and say I could beat a stock tC.
hee hee, but with a $20k modded tC you've got 200-220hp and a WARRANTY. with a $16.5k civic you've got a large paperweight if you're not careful. :twisted:
Old 12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

sand has got it correct. the tC is not about speed, but about value. It's a great car for the money right now, and that's why it's so popular.

Originally Posted by dante
Originally Posted by brian
You shouldn't think like that though, since then I could say I could go out and buy a base civic for $12k, and then put $4.5k into it and say I could beat a stock tC.
hee hee, but with a $20k modded tC you've got 200-220hp and a WARRANTY. with a $16.5k civic you've got a large paperweight if you're not careful. :twisted:
do you see any supercharged tC's running around right now? It's not even available through dealerships yet, and probably won't be for a while. A lot of ppl are opting for other setups because of the same price and a lot of potential. I'm just saying that the arguement that putting $XXXX amount into a car would beat so and so car. You can take $3k and put it into a f-body and it'll smoke almost everything on the road. Although I can see what you're saying, and the s/c is an option for me still . Not trying to start and flames here, I do love my tC.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

How about on a road course?-Say Gingerman or Grattan or Mid Ohio, or something tighter-then at say Road America for the flat out 4 mile runs with a few turns. The Type S has slightly better handling, and the tC is at a weight disadvantage, but has more torque to pull itself out of corners. Lets assume both have stock motors and suspension mods (just enough to make them safer at the track).

Any input now?

marcelino

also assume comparable driver skills
Old 12-17-2004, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Even on a road course the tC will be handed its ___ by a rsx-s (stock for stock). Our cars are kinda like overweight pigs. I'm only talking stock vs stock though, but the only way to test it is to bring both cars to the track and test with the same driver. I'm sure with a couple suspension mods our cars would fair much better. Stock our cars only pull .82 lateral G's, while the rsx-s pulls a .89. Just throwing some numbers out there.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The RSX-S is a performance oriented car.

The tC is a value oriented car.

Comparing both is retarded... As the tC has features that the RSX doesn't have and vice-versa. Two cars designed for two different purposes.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default listen

Ok a stock TC vs a stock RSX type S obviously the RSX S would win. I have a TC with a CAI, and i removed the spare tire. My friend has a RSX type S with the tire still inside and a system. We've raced many times and its actually pretty damn close, although I beat him about 6/10 times. Now before you flamers come here saying oh he sucks as a driver and all that I want you to know that he's been driving stick for 4 years and racing, and he doesnt suck. You can look at the stats of the type S and see its 210hp with a crappy 143 of torque and the CAI TC with about 172hp, and 170tq. The rsx-s with the system weighs about 2925, and the TC with the spare removed weighs about 2875. Now after a bit of thinking you realize that the TC is now lighter and has ALOT more torque which means more in races than the 40hp advantage the RSX-S has in Hp. I realize that stock vs stock the acura rsx-s wins, but if u read the posts question it says stock vs stock or stock RSX-s vs light modded TC.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member

Not sure about the type-s, but my co-worker has an 03' rsx and we've raced a total of three times and every time he saw tail lights.

Another guy that works across the street has a 00' Integra type-r, I let him drive my car and now he refuses to race me.

The tC is a very capable car, and my god does it sound good with a short-ram.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member

The tC is this years new underdog. The RSX is the heir of the Integra's throne. The fact that it's comparable to a Base Acura RSX is an achievement all in itself. However, the tc would, without a doubt, beat a base RSX and at the same time cost less. It'll take an RSX-S, with its lighter engine internals and an upgraded suspension set up, to stomp out the tC.

But...

With the tC costing $5593.00 less than RSX-S, if that money was put back into the tC... then ____, the tC will run circles around an RSX-S. CIRCLES. A tC with an upgraded suspension, cold air intake, and a supercharger... maybe even an exaust.
I think i'll call it the tC type S, S stands for Supercharged.

And...

Say a couple years from now, when aftermarket companies have refined their products for the 'o5 RSX-S and the tC. If the two cars were tricked to the max without enginge swaps, and being that there's no replacement for displacement, I think that the RSX would lose to the tC. Don't get me wrong I have much respect for Acura and the RSX-S for its history in the industry. But when people compare the tC to veterans in the import scene and begin throwin down the Type S into the mix they forget to factor price into the comparison. Speaking humbly, I believe the tC can bang with the best of them. Just my two cents on the subject.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the tC costing $5593.00 less than RSX-S, if that money was put back into the tC... then ____, the tC will run circles around an RSX-S. CIRCLES. A tC with an upgraded suspension, cold air intake, and a supercharger... maybe even an exaust.
I think i'll call it the tC type S, S stands for Supercharged.

And...

Say a couple years from now, when aftermarket companies have refined their products for the 'o5 RSX-S and the tC. If the two cars were tricked to the max without enginge swaps, and being that there's no replacement for displacement, I think that the RSX would lose to the tC. Don't get me wrong I have much respect for Acura and the RSX-S for its history in the industry. But when people compare the tC to veterans in the import scene and begin throwin down the Type S into the mix they forget to factor price into the comparison. Speaking humbly, I believe the tC can bang with the best of them. Just my two cents on the subject.
Did you bother reading any of the previous posts? Thanks for restating the obvious.

Have fun being beat by a Kia Rio with a built turbo kit and other rice-o-roni crap. Since it is 5k less expensive.

Your outlook on the future is beyond laughable. Do you realize that the RSX outsells the tC by far? Do realize that the RSX has a huge Honda aftermarket base? Honda is the king of aftermarket whether you like it or not. (No I'm not a damn Honda-boy)
Old 12-18-2004, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bbcrud
What I don't understand is why we're having this discussion. It's like a sane person would compare the two when shopping for a car.

Base INVOICE on a RSX Type S is $22,058.00. That's $5593.00 over the MSRP for a tC with manual transmission.

What could you do with a tC with $5600.00? Could you beat a Type S? I think so.
:D Now, that's a good answer.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScummyMcOwnage
Originally Posted by Gmoney
sorry im calling bs. we give up 40 hp and same tq. the tC is heavier by a few hundred pounds. now a base line rsx yea i could see but not a type s.
i second that bs. either your friend doesnt know how to drive or he has a base rsx. tc with a supercharger would be a better match.
If you are gonna compare the two you should compare the tc against the base rsx b/c tc doesn't have but one spec and thats the base model (which isn't base at all). But I could belive the tc could keep up with a type s no problems. The gearing is really good in the trans. And as to the car weight actually there a lot closer than you think. The tc out weigh's the rsx by approx. 181but if you are talking about the type s than the weight is about 70lbs heavier in the tc. For every hundread pounds it adds .1 onto your 1/4 mile time. But the tc torque is a lot higher than that of the rsx. I did a little search online the rsx type s ran a 14.64 thats with a cai, header, and exhaust.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For every hundread pounds it adds .1 onto your 1/4 mile time.
Prove that please.

Also the RSX-S has been known to get into the 14s stock. (Read around clubrsx.com if you don't believe me) There is really little chance that the tC can hold up to the Type-S in the 1320.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Prove that please.

Also the RSX-S has been known to get into the 14s stock. (Read around clubrsx.com if you don't believe me) There is really little chance that the tC can hold up to the Type-S in the 1320.[/quote]

I belive that the rsx type s whould win but it wouldn't be that bad of a loss for the tc. I belive the tc would hang. When people go to the track they pull out there seats, stereo etc. why do you think they do it b/c it speeds them up a little at a time. Talk to anyone that actually runs the 1/4 mile a lot not amatures. They can prove it.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please.... just use [ quote ] [ /quote ] (without the spaces before/after) it just makes it that much easier to read. And yes weight does slow you down, even if its a little bit it all counts.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TrafficinLA
Originally Posted by Mx6GT91
Are we talking about the NEW Type-S with 210hp or the older 200hp model???

I still say its a drivers race. I think that the torque that the tC makes would launch the car off the line. Again if the tC owner knows how to drive the car and use the power and torque these cars make it would be a close race.
The RSX-S info from C&D are for the new 210hp 2005 RSX. I didn't see any 1/4 mile numbers for the base model.
I would think since the base model has the same HP as the tC but less weight....... draw your own conclusions.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member

Again, as an owner of BOTH cars I have daily driving experience with the tC and RSX-S, and the tC won't take a Type S with a decent driver. I actually think you'd see a bigger difference on the track than in a straight 1/4 run, as the extra weight is really going to bog the tc down in the corners, you'll need that extra torque to get the car going again, and the k20a2 engine in the RSX-S is more responsive than the tC's engine. And don't forget that the RSX-S handles better anyways. Our doors alone on the tC are heavy as hell, you could get a serious workout opening and closing them.

As far as mods are concerned, it's waaay too soon to say for the tC. All I can say is that I hope it gets more support than the Celica got. There are tons of mods out there for RSX owners, and if you get your car equipped with Comptech stuff installed at the Acura dealership you get the factory warranty, just like the deal Scion has with TRD. There are superchargers for the RSX (Comptech and Jackson Racing), exhuast, intake, ECU upgrade, etc, in fact you could do the Injen CAI (most popular among RSX owners) and Hondata for just under $900. As popular as Hondas are I do have a hard time seeing Scion surpassing them, but we'll see.

Now again, obviously I just bought the tC for my gf, so I do admire it. Remember, I could've gotten a base RSX for her but we chose the tC. I actually think both cars complement each other perfectly. The tC is cheaper to own than the RSX and has more backseat space. On the other hand the RSX-S has a little more speed but you pay more owning it day-to-day (Acura scheduled maintenance intervals are sooner, premium gas, higher insurance, etc). You have a smaller backseat, but more trunk space. They both get their fair share of lookers and compliments. It's the best of both worlds.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

belive that the rsx type s whould win but it wouldn't be that bad of a loss for the tc. I belive the tc would hang. When people go to the track they pull out there seats, stereo etc. why do you think they do it b/c it speeds them up a little at a time. Talk to anyone that actually runs the 1/4 mile a lot not amatures. They can prove it.
It's obvious that weight slows you down... But you seem to have missed what I wanted you to prove.

Here is the quote from you.

For every hundread pounds it adds .1 onto your 1/4 mile time.

Quick Reply: who would win tc vs rsx type s