2005-2010 [ANT10]

Why are so many automatics being built?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

like some one said before...Americans are LAZY!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member

You generally want to wait a few cycles from the production line anyway. It usually takes several runs to fix most of the line problems. Getting one of the first runs off of a new line and a new design is hardly ever a good thing.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cypher50
OK, I just got off the phone with my dealer...out of 4 people who put in deposits (all manual, BTW), the car they are getting is an automatic.
You're saying that the dealer is taking deposits, promising manual transmission vehicles, while knowing that no manuals are in their allocation? If so, grab that check and run while you still can!

At first, the dealer was going to have me wait till the next shipment...wrong answer...after I informed her (not a threat because I am serious) that I would just take the deposit and leave, she said that she would see the allocation on Thursday for what is at port and try to do a swap. Unfortunately, I guess I picked one of the worst combinations (Black Sand Pearl - 5 Speed) so it is unlikely that I would be able to get that car when I need it...
I don't believe them when they say "worst combination". When I was looking for a white 5-speed that was the "rare combination". Others have been told that the camo is the rare one. It seems that whatever the customer wants that the dealer doesn't have is so rare as to be unobtainable. Honda dealers tried to play this color/equipment tap-dance with me, which is why I have a Scion.

Oh well, I knew a deposits have many shortcomes but I figured at least that the first shipment would include a lot more cars then this...I'm not getting an automatic though. Life lesson learned, next time I will listen to the people here about deposits...
Yes, now that they have a piece of you they are less motivated to obtain the vehicle you want. They are counting on wearing you down into accepting a vehicle that they have.

Call around, find a dealer who can provide what you want, and keep that checkbook in your pocket until you see the hardware!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

BTW, women in America generally prefer autos over manuals which may be one very good reason. Another is that a large percent of city drivers buy autos over manuals.

IMO, people who are anticipating this car are more likely enthusiasts so the initial demand would seem logical to be for manuals. However, I bet autos sell just as well over the sales year.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by Straegen
IMO, people who are anticipating this car are more likely enthusiasts so the initial demand would seem logical to be for manuals. However, I bet autos sell just as well over the sales year.
I understand about the enthusiast angle & all...but if preferences for deposits were taken over a month ago and so many are manual transmission then why are so many automatics being sent in the first batch? To me, if you are sending in a preference buy order then I was under the impression that they would look over the preference sheets from all dealers and then ship what was represented by the deposits already put down. I know that many people here were saying that there wouldn't be a demand large enough for a deposit but I am getting a different perspective...from the dealers I am calling, they all have several deposits but are still receiving cars not matching the deposits. They aren't TRAC models (demos) so that leaves me wondering why anyone would take a deposit anyway if they knew that they couldn't choose anything for the first allocation...

Anyway, if they have a Flint Mica, Silver, or Black Sand Pearl manual in the allocation then I will take it. Otherwise, I will just get a refund on the deposit...I really want a tC but another month of waiting during the prime summer months (and my 1 week summer vacation) is a little too much to ask. Hopefully though, things will work out .
Old 06-15-2004, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member

I understand about the enthusiast angle & all...but if preferences for deposits were taken over a month ago and so many are manual transmission then why are so many automatics being sent in the first batch? To me, if you are sending in a preference buy order then I was under the impression that they would look over the preference sheets from all dealers and then ship what was represented by the deposits already put down.
Sheer speculation would be that the line produced a certain percent of autos and a certain percent of manuals. I doubt they took deposits then figured out the production values for the line. They probably knew before they took dollar one how many of each would roll off. Your dealer probably just wasn't one of the dealers to get a manual in the first batch.

This is TOTAL speculation however. I have nothing but an uneducated guess to back this up.