Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Wide Open Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 AM
SL Member

Default Wide Open Throttle

Ive just always had the feeling that going WOT is not good for the engine. In my 09, I've only done it once.

Are you against it? How often do you do it? Is it really that bad or can someone get away with it once or twice a day?

Asking because people I talked to seem to have very different opinions on this. They either never do it because they think the engine will blow up or they do it enough to consider it their driving style.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I go WOT all the time. About 15,000 miles are with my nitrous kit in. Don't over-rev the engine, or run it hard with little or low oil.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It wont hurt anything... ..

And if that bothers you then you really would not want to take an autox run with me. My car is 6 years old with 86,000 miles on it, has seen approx 500 autox runs, each of which sees about half the time at around 6000 rpm and WOT between every element Runs like a top, same as it did when I bought it.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 AM
SL Member

i am so glad this topic just came about...
Old 08-25-2010, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would WOT hurt a car? It will actually hurt your car more to never beat it every once in awhile then to run it WOT a lot. This thread is pointless....
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use the twp throttle controller and go WOT on SP7 heheh
Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

srry or the nood question. but what is the meaning of WOT?

i think we all have a moment here anh theire where we get carried away and drive our tc's hard and its normal i the tc can take a turbo or s/c on a stock motor then they can handle hard daylie driving
Old 08-25-2010, 06:29 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Why would WOT hurt a car? It will actually hurt your car more to never beat it every once in awhile then to run it WOT a lot. This thread is pointless....
Chill. The point is to get peoples opinions and thoughts about WOT. There's already been a couple good insights on this and I'm looking forward to more.

UNDERCOVER: WOT is an acronym for wide open throttle. Flooring it. Throttle body plate flat as not to obstruct air flow.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't worry about WOT, so long as you're not just standing on the pedal and bouncing off the rev limiter for 5 minutes straight or downshifting from 5th to 2nd on the highway with the pedal down you'll be fine.

I run my car on the track at least 3 times a year (not including the autox trips) and from the end of the track's turn 9 all the way down the straightaway until turn 2 I'm at full WOT for anywhere between 10-15 seconds depending on how fast my exit from T9 is.

It's not so much about the position of the throttle or how open the throttle body is, it's about where in the rev range you are. The engine is built to be capable of running all the way through the rev range until it hits the factory set rev limiter.

If you do something silly like the 5th-to-2nd shift I mentioned below, you are forcing the engine to mechanically go beyond the rev limiter and potentially get into the damaging RPM ranges. Run the motor up to redline and it'll be fine. Run the motor past redline (without modifications to allow for greater RPM) and you'll hurt it.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 PM
SL Member

Very good info there McGee. I'll definitely have more confidence about putting my foot down from now on. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OPPOSITE-LOCK
Very good info there McGee. I'll definitely have more confidence about putting my foot down from now on. Thanks.
have you looked into the electronic throttle controller offered by TWP,it actually works i have it
Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
have you looked into the electronic throttle controller offered by TWP,it actually works i have it
I'd really like to be able to test that. I just have a feeling that adjusting the curves do dramatically is going to effect the lifespan of the vehicle. But i'd love to get more juice when I WOT or rev a bit high. Gigidy.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:02 PM
SL Member

I have not. To me, an upgrade would be a direct cable link to the throttle body.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM

As others have already said being at WOT does not mean you are on the rev limiter nor does it mean you are at top speed.

On the street I accelerate at WOT as much as possible...but I short shift (WOT/short shift gets you up to your most fuel efficient speed quicker, and reduces the amount of time you are in the inefficient part-throttle/acceleration mode, and limits the engine speed RPMs to a lower, typically more fuel efficient, RPM range).

All that goes out the window on the track...WOT in the lowest gear for best torque at a given speed.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

WOT is not more efficient until you get to the top of the power band. One of the number one killers of fuel economy is people always accelerating using more throttle than they need. When you are at lower RPMs, WOT will barely increase acceleration over the proper amount of throttle, yet will burn considerably more fuel.

Now on the track or autox course, then you want all the throttle you can give it out of every corner, since you are not really concerned with fuel economy at that moment
Old 08-26-2010, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive heard of it. how much does it go for? and will it fit my 05 tc. i also heard that it has three modes correct.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UNDERCOVER
ive heard of it. how much does it go for? and will it fit my 05 tc. i also heard that it has three modes correct.
Search the forum. It fits all year tC's since the biggest change in the years is a stock sub and different maf sensor.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OPPOSITE-LOCK
I have not. To me, an upgrade would be a direct cable link to the throttle body.

its really not considered a upgrade,its basicially a cheap mod that makes driving that much more fun,i didnt think anything of it until i bought and tried it,il be honest its makes the car open up to its full potential,but you can ajust it for different driving conditions,it can save you gas also if in heavy traffic,
Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UNDERCOVER
well they just did a group buy i think for like $120 or so,but you can contact them through the website about pricing,

yea it fits all models, this controller as 7 levels in sporting mode,5 in ECO mode and of course the stock mode which is stock settings,you can pick and choose what you want for your driving conditions,if its snowing and ice on the roads put it in ECo 3 and ill delay the throttle response there for saving gas and act like a traction control,wanna go faster put it in one of the sporting modes like SP3 or something,you dont want to use it at a particular time,put it in normal mode which is stock settings,,,so yea its pretty cool,,
Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Banned
SL Member

Im wot all the time, and I hit rev limiter all the damn time, everything is still good, need to change transmission and motor oil and filter soon but its all gravy.

Quick Reply: Wide Open Throttle