2005-2010 [ANT10]

Window regulator arm weld?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Window regulator arm weld?

Driver window would not raise more than halfway this weekend. I removed the door panel and checked for obstructions or other visible causes. I took it to the dealer, and they couldn't fix it. They only raised the window to the full position, and told me not to lower it. They indicated the regulator arm was welded to the car door instead of the normal factory installation. I bought the car used with low miles, and they speculated the vehicle may have been in a crash. I didn't see any obvious markings on the door panel, the panel screws, or the door exterior. There also isn't any record of a crash or body work in the CARFAX report.
1. Why isn't there a record of the air bag deployment if there was a crash?
2. For owners that have removed there door panels, have you noticed anything odd about the door construction?
3. Could the service staff at Toyota just be inexperienced with Scion vehicle repairs?

P.S. I searched this forum and others for similar instances of window problems, but I didn't see any. I just passed the 40K mile mark. Goodbye warranty.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They just put the window up and said not to put it down? WTH? I would go to another dealer. Even if you have to pay for it, that's BS.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something could have broken inside the door panel (I want to say the door check, but I am no technician and I could be wrong)--
In any event, try giving Scion a call -- If you just passed 40k, you are not THAT far out of warranty (What year is your car?)

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw you have the red one-- So it might be out of warranty by time as well, possibly, but I don't think it is that far out of warranty- It is worth a shot to give Scion a call
Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Carfax isnt perfect. I could go out and crash my car into a tree right now. Then i could just get it towed to a small shop and have it fixed and if the work is done right, no one will ever know.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Window regulator arm weld?

Originally Posted by PikesPeak
Driver window would not raise more than halfway this weekend. I removed the door panel and checked for obstructions or other visible causes. I took it to the dealer, and they couldn't fix it. They only raised the window to the full position, and told me not to lower it. They indicated the regulator arm was welded to the car door instead of the normal factory installation. I bought the car used with low miles, and they speculated the vehicle may have been in a crash. I didn't see any obvious markings on the door panel, the panel screws, or the door exterior. There also isn't any record of a crash or body work in the CARFAX report.
1. Why isn't there a record of the air bag deployment if there was a crash?
2. For owners that have removed there door panels, have you noticed anything odd about the door construction?
3. Could the service staff at Toyota just be inexperienced with Scion vehicle repairs?

P.S. I searched this forum and others for similar instances of window problems, but I didn't see any. I just passed the 40K mile mark. Goodbye warranty.
I just checked the tC's service manual for the door, and the window regulator is NOT WELDED into the door. It's bolted in! to a torque setting of 71 INCH pounds for the bolts that attach it. At first I thought the dealer was lying, but for this time they were correct in telling you that someone modified it.

Then yeah someone did do some damage and welded it in. Wow that sucks. You'll have to cut that weld off and redo that mounting spot for the regulator. Or just get another door. I'm wondering how much someone else modified your door inside. And I'm now wondering how much re-welding, modifying you'll have to endure to get it back to what the factory intended.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yea.. carfax isn't perfect as well.. it could say it's been in a frontal accident.. despite the fact that that particular accident might have been so minor that all it did was put a small scratch on the front bumper.

very well depends on what is reported... but nothing is really perfect.

the techs at the dealership you went to could be inexperienced in your car, though most of the stuff involved across all toyotas and scions are exactly the same.

i would try to troubleshoot it yourself and/or get someone else to help you.