Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Window Tint Fine Question *Update pg2 found legal info*(PA)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i understand everyones point on this but a police officer has no right to pull you over just for tint alone since there is not statue or law in PA banning tint below 70% the officer needs probable cause to pull you over and being that i did not violate any other traffic violation to be pulled over for him to be able to test my tint makes it a faulty stop....Also the tint meters are not approved and the evidence would most likely be throw out in court due to this fact.....There is such misinterperation of the Laws that PENNDOT declare and how the local police intereperate them
Old 03-10-2008, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

there is in fact a law that bans tint below 70%. call the motor vehical transportation to confirm this, as well as any other tint shop in the state, or you could even call up your local police station.

the cop can pull you over, as it is a violation and a concern of safety. it's the same thing as having a broken taillight. it's not an actual MOVING violation such as speeding, running a light, ect.

goodluck if you go through with it, though.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have my tC tinted at 35% and never signed any papers. I'd remember that... I don't know if the guy is state licensed, but he does homes and does work for other car lots in the area...

Did the cop use a tint meter on your windows? I had a state cop issue me a warning for it because he didn't have his tint meter with him...

Just do what is cheaper in the long run..
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

^hes probably not state licensed or not. but svicks for ur situation, its gonna be really hard for u to get out of this one.... all ur using are evidence found online.. which are not going to be convincing enough. i just went to pennDOT and in their search engine, i found this

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-sun.pdf

thats pretty straight forward there... 70% which means no tint at all... and as for pulling u over, toeveryhour said it, u dont have to violate a traffic law to get pulled over. shoot i got pulled over for not having a front licenses plate.. once the judge said its a law to have one, then u cant really say anything else. ur lucky u got a fix it ticket, cause if i were u, i'd go back and get it fixed, but as for me, theres no such thing as fix it tickets here
Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright ya you guys got me pretty convinced on just paying the fine, thanks for saving me the hassle....
Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my cousin is a pa state police officer and he says that they can pull you over for any violation, including tint, and any tint that you put on other than what comes stock on the vehicle is considered illegal. so i would say just take off the tint unless you want to continue to get pulled over for it. just my .02 cents
Old 03-28-2008, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't there a difference between "law" and "regulation"? PA law doesn't put a specific percentage on what is legal versus illegal whereas this regulation issued by PennDOT says 70%.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

under chapter 45 75 section 4524 of the law in penn states that:

no person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

UNLESS

(i) A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows of the type and specification that were installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle or to any hearse, ambulance, government vehicle or any other vehicle for which a currently valid certificate of exemption has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.

(ii) A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows, sun screening devices or other materials which comply with all applicable Federal regulations and for which a currently valid certificate of exemption for medical reasons has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.