2005-2010 [ANT10]

Wipers in the Rain...Visibility sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wipers in the Rain...Visibility sucks

ok, i'm here in San Diego...its raining like crazy and my visibility sucks! The water doesn't seem to bead off, it just smears and makes my visibility worse. i'm just curious if this can be fixed just by simply changing the wipers? i was doing some research and found that Silcone based wipers help the water bead off the windshield? does that some right :?:

anyways, what are the wiper sizes, and yah, any suggestions on how to make it through the rainy days with better visibility

k thanks
Old 01-10-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have no problems with my wipers, u can apply rain x to ur windshield if you like. its this protective fluid that will last temporarily and rain water will just bead off ur car. check the manual on the wiper sizes. I think they might be 20 inches on both sides, but u should check
Old 01-10-2005, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Uh, my wipers are great on my tC at 3500 miles still. I think you may have some oil or something on your windshield/wipers. Before putting some money down on new blades, try cleaning the windshield AND wipers off first.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the exact same problem. I put on rain x and it is MUCH better. I think a lot of it is just that the windshield is sloped enough that it catches a lot more spray from other vehicles than my last car. I have to run the wipers on high in situations where on my last car I'd still be on low.

I've noticed that when making left turns the rain water stays on the window by the left a-pillar though... makes the visibility problem from the wide a-pillars even Worse...
Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^^ what he said
Old 01-10-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

it rained for 5 days in a row after i bought my tc and i have had no problems however i do know that rain x works great
Old 01-10-2005, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once you put on rain-x, you'll never go back.

The wipers on my tC suck. It's beginning to streak already.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
IV ACE

Default Re: Wipers in the Rain...Visibility sucks

Originally Posted by UCSDPinoy
ok, i'm here in San Diego...its raining like crazy and my visibility sucks! The water doesn't seem to bead off, it just smears and makes my visibility worse. i'm just curious if this can be fixed just by simply changing the wipers? i was doing some research and found that Silcone based wipers help the water bead off the windshield? does that some right :?:

anyways, what are the wiper sizes, and yah, any suggestions on how to make it through the rainy days with better visibility

k thanks
you must have gotten something on your windshield or wipers, as your wipers are too new to have any real problems. And its been raining here alot in sacramento and I have no visibility problems whatsoever in my tC. If cleaning your windshiled/wipers is still not good enough, Rain X will defenitly improve it, but that stuff doesn't last very long at all. Seemed like it only lasted a few days.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Wipers in the Rain...Visibility sucks

Originally Posted by UCSDPinoy

k thanks
well for me i wouldn't ever use rain-x again, tried that before never going back.. it eventually burned the rubber (from the wiper blades) onto the windshield.. had to call the maker of rain-x to get that stuff off.. had to use a cleanser called Bon-Ami (can find it a grocery store) it's like comet, but DIFFERENCE is, it's safe for glass.. Toyota does recommend using Bon-Ami cleanser on the windshield just use plenty of water with it.. but others will support rain-x.. for me.. no thanks.. never again..

I also had the problem with the stock windshield wiper blades as you did.. smearing and no amount of cleaning the blades or windshield would stop it.. it was clearly the blades were useless after a couple months.. had chattering and the blades missed areas on the windshield.. I had enough.. I switched over to Anco Aerovantage blades driver's side is the 26" (actually measures 25.5, stock tc length) and the passenger side is the 16" (again 15.5" stock tc length, just called a 16").. and they are working great.. I posted here about these blades, what happens is the rubber gets soft, doesn't wipe the windshield just drags debris across the windshield, and it caused a light scratch.. so i switched the blades.. they're working great now.. as far as the scratch, we'll see what i can do with that when spring (or warmer temps) come to michigan..

My recommendation? clean the windshield with some Bon-Ami cleanser (use plenty of water).. then get yourself some new blades like the anco.. that fixed my wiper problems!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Visability sucks for me too in the rain. I don't know if it's the stock wipers, or what, but it sucks.

I need to try rain-x, and I'm planning to put a set of PIAA wipers on as soon as I can find some for the tC.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make sure you keep some Bon-Ami cleanser in the car when the rain-x begins to erode the rubber on the blades and it's on your windshield.. lol.. let us know how that goes when it does happen..
Old 01-10-2005, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

rain x is great.. but otherwise no real issues with the wipers thus far.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4k + miles and some MI winter/salt and my wipers still work like new.

dont know whats wrong with you kids.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, i'm gonna be looking for Windshield wiperfluid with Rain-X in it

On a side note, are any of you Familiar with"Valeo Ultimate Wiper Blades"??? Thinking about changing my wiper blades, not sure if i should. ok thanks for all the replies :D

If i decide on changing wiperblades, any suggestions. thanks again
Old 01-10-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my blades rock!!! we've had like 7 inches of rain in the past 2 weeks.....i've used rain-x before.....am an avid fan of it actually....just haven't felt the need to use it on the tC yet....
Old 01-11-2005, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe its just a gimmick, but I always had good luck with Tripledge. I don't have enough wear to need replacements yet, but I'm going to try them when its time. On my last car I used rain x a lot and never had a problem with burning/melting the wipers - I tend to be conscientious about not using the wipers when not necessary, maybe that helps. People that leave their wipers on when its not really raining crack me up anyway.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my wiper works great. wipes just smallest splash of water cleanly. Only thing is that at the fastest setting, it is still a bit slow and can't clear all the pouring rain fast enough

Anyone put rain-x on the back window in order to help get water off of it quicker? It's especially when the tC's been sitting in the rain and the water just idles on the back window. Takes a while to clear off (with enough speed)
Old 01-11-2005, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rear defroster is great on the tC... Just takes a while to warm up. Maybe my windsheild isn't as clean as it ought to be, considering the car hasn't had a bath in over a month and the rain here in Orange County isn't exactly clean. What's up with our wiper sizes, anyhow? I've looked all through the factory booklet and I can't come up with a proper size!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any idea who sipplies the stock wipers on the tC?

bosch? Denso?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The easiest way I have found to get a wiper size for any car is get a tape measure and measure the blade.

Quick Reply: Wipers in the Rain...Visibility sucks