Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Would a slight over revved hurt my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Originally Posted by Steve27
but years of engine-braking will [damage the engine]
Please don't spread misinformation, its just not needed on this board.

It's not misinformation, engine braking adds significant wear to engines, brakes are cheaper to replace.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brakefade
The thing that worried me was that when I rev matched from 3rd to 2nd the car jerked forward a bit, kinda like when you under rev, and I look down at the tac and it was at 6K RPM. So I'm guessing I must've overreved it a little and the rev limiter kicked it just as I released the clutch. Either way the car runs find, still pulls like always, and no weird noises. Probably not a big deal, but the thing that got me worried was reading about this guy who overvved his M3 from 3rd gear red line to 2nd gear, and his car ran fine for a while, but then the engine suddenly exploded coming off a freeway off-ramp. His engine ran fine, but he had weakened his internals to the point where his engine became a ticking time bomb. My overreved wasn't anywhere near as bad, but it's still one of those things that's constantly on your mind.

As for engine braking, the manual actually recommends doing on long downhill roads.

BTW Top Gear just reviewed the Mustang GT500, and they pretty much tore it to pieces (not literally). However they praised the Roush (SP?) Ford Mustang. Their biggest gripe with the Shelby is that it has all this power with no upgrades to the suspension or brakes. It doesn't even have an LSD.

On long downhill roads "riding" the brakes can actually cause them to fail, due to excessive heat; in this case engine braking is desirable.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tell your buddy the ford mustang is the least reliable car in america. 86% of owners had to take their car in for warranty work withtin 4 years.

and our scions? 3-4%.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The thing that worried me was that when I rev matched from 3rd to 2nd the car jerked forward a bit, kinda like when you under rev, and I look down at the tac and it was at 6K RPM. So I'm guessing I must've overreved it a little and the rev limiter kicked it just as I released the clutch.
Well the rev limiter doesn't do anything if you misshift. The wheels turn the engine past redline at that point, so short of some type of auto-clutch function, there's absolutely nothing the computer can do to prevent damage... this is why moneyshifting can be so devastating.

But if you just hit 6k, you have absolutely nothing to worry about!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey itsallgood,
We were both on the highway and he was somewhat tailgating me, so i hit the gas and he kept up. I believe it was the SS mustang. I was shifting from 5th to 4th and that redlined me. Shifting up from 4th to 5th at 100 should be fine, its just downshifting that will get ya.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ss mustang? have i been out of the loop that long? lol

j/k
Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW Top Gear just reviewed the Mustang GT500, and they pretty much tore it to pieces (not literally). However they praised the Roush (SP?) Ford Mustang. Their biggest gripe with the Shelby is that it has all this power with no upgrades to the suspension or brakes. It doesn't even have an LSD.
Which is a shame because Shelby didn't actually build the Shelby...They just supplied the name.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My HKS says I hit 6,400. It was when it was just starting to rain, and the oils from the road were just starting to lift.
The HKS is perty darn accurate too.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ndo54
hey itsallgood,
We were both on the highway and he was somewhat tailgating me, so i hit the gas and he kept up. I believe it was the SS mustang. I was shifting from 5th to 4th and that redlined me. Shifting up from 4th to 5th at 100 should be fine, its just downshifting that will get ya.
ah i see. I love when some one tails me it gives me a good reason to romp on it and out run em'. and if your lucky he'll be willing to play back
Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey itsallgood,
Yeah, you gotta watch out for them SS mustangs. z28 mustangs are a biotch too.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by itsallgood
hey itsallgood,
ah i see. I love when some one tails me it gives me a good reason to romp on it and out run em'. and if your lucky he'll be willing to play back

i dont mean to be mean, but when someone tailgates me and im on the left lane, while someone is on the right lane i just keep pace with the car on the right. and theres nothing the tailgater can do about it.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HCSi
Originally Posted by itsallgood
hey itsallgood,

i dont mean to be mean, but when someone tailgates me and im on the left lane, while someone is on the right lane i just keep pace with the car on the right. and theres nothing the tailgater can do about it.
It's usually just a better idea to do the proper thing and move over to the right. No sense in being part of those rolling walls that do nothing but annoy other people and create traffic blocks.

But sometimes yea, I've done that...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by "HCSi"
if its one thing you can always rely on American cars, its cheap HP for your hard earned buck.
[img
https://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/rrdieguez/GT500.jpg[/img]
Except for the fact that you overshot the price by almost $20k. I know it's not an evo/sti/350z like everyone idolizes, but give the gt500 some credit.