Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

WOW...replaced in cabin air filter today. LOOK!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got em free ...
i will try them till i get
a 3M Filtrete Ultra
Old 08-27-2005, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just to let you all know that there is not a cabin air filter recommended for the tC. I found out at work because i wanted to put one on mine. It will affect cooling performance. I work for Cabe Toyota and found that info in our parts dept.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The other posts address that issue, however there is a part number for the filter specifically for the tC and many like myself have installed a filter with no adverse effects. Thats the beauty of the panel filters..they are cheap and if you find they cause a problem, just t ake it out and you arent out $25 for the Toyota part.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my dealer has a display to get your cabin filter changed for $69.99 what a rip off.
I'll check next time to see if it mentions the TC
Old 08-27-2005, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by greenbox
just to let you all know that there is not a cabin air filter recommended for the tC. I found out at work because i wanted to put one on mine. It will affect cooling performance. I work for Cabe Toyota and found that info in our parts dept.
I have a feeling about this one - I can't prove it, but here's the theory: you've seen what a filter looks like after a few months - I can vouch that mine gets that bad too. Scion (as we've heard a few times) doesn't have a filter for the tC, but yet the holder is there. I think that the A/C is not wonderful and Scion knows that people might install a filter but never change it. If they didn't change it for a year say, I'm sure enough crud could build up in there to seriously hurt the airflow through the thing. At that point I'm sure it would hurt cooling performance. Moral of the story? Make sure if you put a filter in that you change it at every oil change or something.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
Originally Posted by iowagary
Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope
I'm not in the numbers for the TSB-- my VIN is a few thousand higher. I'm going to have to take it in anyway-- on a 100ş day, cool down can take 10 minutes.
Mine is a few k higher than the VIN on the TSB too, but it's also too weak (well... not cold enough - the air movement is fine). When I take it in for the next oil change, I'm going to have them check it.
same deal here too
WHAT VIN #'s are the TSB in?
Old 08-27-2005, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope
I'm not in the numbers for the TSB-- my VIN is a few thousand higher. I'm going to have to take it in anyway-- on a 100ş day, cool down can take 10 minutes.
It is kind of weird, because mine does fall into the range for the TSB, but mine works great. So I am not too sure how accurate or inclusive the range is. But either way, if it doesnt cool properly they should fix it (or that would be the right thing for them to do). Hopefully you dont have to fight with them too much. You could also go get an HVAC thermometer from an auto parts store pretty cheap and verify on your own how cold it gets beforehand.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well a heads up for those that want a factory filter, i just went to the dealer today for a cabin air filter and it only costs 9 bucks and some change, so say 10 bucks... which isn't bad for a facotry part, and it's sure is a lot cheaper then the filters for my acura which run like 28 bucks
Old 07-29-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by iowagary
Originally Posted by greenbox
I have a feeling about this one - I can't prove it, but here's the theory: you've seen what a filter looks like after a few months - I can vouch that mine gets that bad too. Scion (as we've heard a few times) doesn't have a filter for the tC, but yet the holder is there. I think that the A/C is not wonderful and Scion knows that people might install a filter but never change it. If they didn't change it for a year say, I'm sure enough crud could build up in there to seriously hurt the airflow through the thing. At that point I'm sure it would hurt cooling performance. Moral of the story? Make sure if you put a filter in that you change it at every oil change or something.
That is a good point. I did not realize my wife's Rav4 had the same filter until I put one in my xB. I got a filter from Kragen's for $12 and it had the xA and Rav4 applications on it as well as the xB (I don't remember if it had tC also). Anyway, when I changed my wife's it was far worse than the one pictured above. It had leaves and junk all over it. I will make a point to change them out at least a couple times a year.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stephen, there are so many threads covering this topic. i'm gonna link you to a DIY and lock this one....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

i make my filter from a product that uses a charcoal sheet, a green filter and a reusable plastic web. it lasts about three months. you can get it at home depot. btw, i'm gonna lock this thread because of how often we've talked about it; and we have talked about this particular aftermarket mod at length.