Writing a Sponsor Application/Request Letter

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Writing a Sponsor Application/Request Letter

* just fyi - this is not a "sponsor me" thread *

I know there are at least a few people on here that have some decent sponsors for their rides. I'm not the most active with my car, but I do love it and would love to help a company out if they want it.

So what I'm wondering is how did you apply? Did they approach you? Did you ask them? Did you have to give them a letter? Or fill out an application? What did you put in it? What would you recommend someone else put in theirs? Are their any websites that will actually give this kind of info for sponsor newbs? (no, i do not want to know anything about carsponsorships.com, don't bother).

Now I don't really have much of anything on my tC right now, but what I would hope to do, if anything... is work the AutoCross angle. If I get out and race, it would certainly give some exposure. Now actually winning something is a whole other question...

Now I don't expect to go around asking for free things, and actually, I don't expect to even get anything at all, really. But I'm curious if anyone has any input on this stuff. Because I'd at least like to be informed down the road.

So... any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Companies will only sponsor you if you're an active person in the community. If sponsoring you will have the benefit of leading to increased sales/street cred. They're not looking for a moving billboard in terms of their bumper sticker on your car only. If you're someone that participates in tons of car shows all year round and will be willing to hand out flyers or whatnot then it wouldn't be hard to find a sponsor.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As I said, my active piece with be AutoCross... so I'd be looking for performance items if anything to show off on the track ... not just some bumper sticker to drive around with.

But you didn't really answer any of my questions.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In order for you to be sponsored nowadays, you either already have a trophy winning showcar, or you have friends in high places within the industry willing to help you out.

I don't mean to come off like an @$$, but think about it. You're a company like Greddy. Why should you give you money or parts to some stranger to mod out their car? You say you'll autocross with it...thats great, but how much exposure are you really gonna give a company like Greddy? Have you been to a local SCCA autox? How many cars show up? How many Scions tCs show up? Maybe if you're an SCCA regional champ, then you have an outside shot.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So far you guys are totally missing the point of the post. Like... way off. I'm not asking to be sponsored here. Hell, I'm not even saying "why will no one sponsor me?!" Frankly I don't care if I am or not... but what I'm trying to do is find out information on what people have done to be sponsored. It's irrelevant what I do with my car or what my car has or if I'm looking for sponsorship.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you start a post like this if you don't care to be sponsored or not? Makes no sense to me...
Old 07-17-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Because maybe after reading real responses I might try to give it a shot down the road? What does it matter if it makes sense to you or not?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Because maybe after reading real responses I might try to give it a shot down the road? What does it matter if it makes sense to you or not?
Then don't say you don't care if you do care...we're just here to try to help you out, and if we're missing the point, then clarify for us what the point is instead of giving us attitude about what you think we thought you were gonna do with your car.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Blah blah blah blah.......lets hear the facts, this post needs to be cleaned up.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pacent
Originally Posted by ack154
Then don't say you don't care if you do care...we're just here to try to help you out, and if we're missing the point, then clarify for us what the point is instead of giving us attitude about what you think we thought you were gonna do with your car.
As I already said once: "It's irrelevant what I do with my car or what my car has or if I'm looking for sponsorship."

All I'm looking for is information as described in the first post. It's not giving attitude, you're just trying to read too far into it and then warping everything. Whether or not I'm specifically looking for a sponsor at this time does not matter to any of the questions I asked in the first post. Which have ALL yet to be answered by anyone.

Next time I'll just say "only reply if you ACTUALLY HAVE SPONSORS."
Old 07-17-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

in writing your letter you should tell the company what you will do for them in getting their product seen, such as shows, club meetings, magazine coverage, if you have been to shows and won include that or if you have been in any articles include copies of that. You include your future plans, cureent mods, and pics of the car from multiple angles( reall good pics). This is what they want to see your dedication to your car and the promotion of their product the more you can get their product seen the better chances you have of getting sponsored.