Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

You're a complete idiot if you don't wear your seatbelt!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is this a how to turn off the seatbelt buzzer or is this a you are an idiot if don't wear your seatbelt post?

has anyone got the procedure to work?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: wear the freakin belt

Originally Posted by lil_LEX_24O
my dad and me were just talking about people and seatbelts. let me remind you guys of derrick thomas, the linebacker who played for the k.c. chiefs. he died because his suburban flipped over, wait my fault first he was in a coma and paralyzed, then died. all this could have been avoided if he and his other passenger were wearing their seatbelts (the passenger in the back lived). i'm not saying seatbelts are guranteed, but give yourselt a chance.
Don't forget that he was driving under the influence at the time, speeding and the roads were slick. Thats the risk you take when drive like a retard.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cad455
where did you find this info? just curious.
In the Service Manual I downloaded from techinfo.toyota.com

Marc
Old 12-17-2004, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Say you are driving along a road and your girlfriend in the passenger seat indicates to you that she is willing to perform a certain act on you.

Now, answer truthfully, would you tell her NO because not wearing a seatbelt is dangerous or would you say, WTF, and let her not wear her seatbelt?
Nope, because I love her... and I wouldn't want that to happen while I'm driving anyway... I would rather pull over and give that moment my full attention.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dante
[driving down the highway]

"hmmmm, should call in a chinese order before I get home, that way I don't have to wait for it."

[reach into front pocket for cell phone]

[can't reach, unbuckle seatbelt to get phone out of pocket]

beep...beep...beep...beep...beep

"f**king thing, where is that cell phone?"

BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP!!!!

"F**K!!! I KNOW TO WEAR MY SEATBELT, SHUT UP ALREADY!!"

[get cell phone, realize hands-free device is still in pocket]

BEEPBEEPBEEP... [pause while I lift butt off of seat to get at hands-free device and seat sensor thinks car is doing 75mph on the highway with nobody sitting in driver's seat, get hands-free device, sit back down]...BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP!!!

"OK, YOU F**KING PIECE OF CRAP CAR, I PUT MY SEATBELT BACK ON, ARE YOU HAPPY??!?!?!? Hi, I'd like to order General Tso's combination, extra spicy..."

edit: wait, just reread that and (e) says canceled by either not opreating the switch for 10 seconds or more or turning the igntion switch from ON to OFF. so will this reset to normal f**king annoying buzzer every time you turn your car off?
as wrong as it is to talk on the phone while driving, this post is the funniest thing i've read on scionlife.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seatbelts, seatbelts??? I don't need no stinkin' seatbelts!!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: You're a complete idiot if you don't wear your seatbelt!

Originally Posted by IDisposable
But if you don't like the seat belt buzzer, here's how to turn it off:
Thanks IDisposable for the tip, but your qoute from the manual was missing an important step, that's why it's not working for some of us.

Here's the quote from the service manual:

Buzzer Reminder Cancel Mode Setting
1) Set the LCD on the combination meter to the ODO display.
2) Press and hold the TRIP meter reset **** for ten seconds or more within six seconds of turning the
ignition switch to the ON position. Fastening the driver’s seat belt while holding the **** cancels the
buzzer reminder.
3) When this occurs, the LCD displays “b-OFF”. The buzzer reminder can be switched between ON and
OFF each time the TRIP meter reset **** is pressed. The LCD displays “b-ON” or “b-OFF” according
to the buzzer reminder ON/OFF status. The display changes to the ODO or TRIP meter” if the ****
is not pressed for ten seconds.
4) Performing steps 1) and 2) again when the buzzer reminder is off exits cancel mode.
5) The cancel mode will also exit when the battery or combination meter connector is reconnected.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to let you know. The buzzer does turn off after the last couple of fast beeps.
I drove around the block to see if it beeped forever, all of a sudden it shut off.

I dont think any car manufacturer would keep that beep on forever, it would drive a person mad and probably make them want to wreck.

I always wear my seatbelt so turning it off is something I wont do. However, it does work for my parents. They dont usually wear their seatbelts and ever since we bought this car they think its going to beep forever. Good thing I havent told them it shuts off after a while.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

The Ivben Blown's trick worked. No more buzzer, but I still see the notification on the "combination meter" that the seatbelt is not clicked - just what I wanted :D
Old 12-17-2004, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the seatbelt buzzer it shows that my car really does care about me and my safety! *sniff*
Old 12-17-2004, 05:22 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Danimal
my dad and me were just talking about people and seatbelts. let me remind you guys of derrick thomas, the linebacker who played for the k.c. chiefs. he died because his suburban flipped over, wait my fault first he was in a coma and paralyzed, then died. all this could have been avoided if he and his other passenger were wearing their seatbelts (the passenger in the back lived). i'm not saying seatbelts are guranteed, but give yourselt a chance.
Don't forget that he was driving under the influence at the time, speeding and the roads were slick. Thats the risk you take when drive like a retard.
True, but my point was his and the passenger's death could have been avoided if they would have buckled up. And I know he shouldn't have been drinking that couldn't have saved him to, but even still he would have lived.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True, but my point was his and the passenger's death could have been avoided if they would have buckled up. And I know he shouldn't have been drinking that couldn't have saved him to, but even still he would have lived.
I actually *favor* drunks not wearing their seatbelts when they drive. if you're going to take out a minivan an kill half the members of a family you might as well kill yourself in the process... :?

btw, the trick works, now just need to remember to reset it if someone who doesn't like to wear seatbelts gets in the car. also handy if you rest anything on the front seat, had *maybe* 15 pounds on it between my camelbak (think 20oz water, some tools) and a book of cds and it started the annoying "YOUR PASSENGER ISN"T WEARING HIS/HER SEATBELT" reminder...
Old 12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have no idea what the griping's about.

My garage door opener stopped working so I've had to park my car in front of the door, then go around and open it from the inside - I spend a good 30 seconds parking the car with the seatbelt off, and all I hear are those first five beeps after I turn on the key.

That's about as long as anyone should drive without a seatbelt.

I don't take my seatbelt off while driving, so I can't speak for any "stupidity alarm" Scion may have built in.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: You're a complete idiot if you don't wear your seatbelt!

Originally Posted by Ivben Blown
Originally Posted by IDisposable
But if you don't like the seat belt buzzer, here's how to turn it off:
Thanks IDisposable for the tip, but your qoute from the manual was missing an important step, that's why it's not working for some of us.

Here's the quote from the service manual:

Buzzer Reminder Cancel Mode Setting
1) Set the LCD on the combination meter to the ODO display.
2) Press and hold the TRIP meter reset **** for ten seconds or more within six seconds of turning the
ignition switch to the ON position. Fastening the driver’s seat belt while holding the **** cancels the
buzzer reminder.
3) When this occurs, the LCD displays “b-OFF”. The buzzer reminder can be switched between ON and
OFF each time the TRIP meter reset **** is pressed. The LCD displays “b-ON” or “b-OFF” according
to the buzzer reminder ON/OFF status. The display changes to the ODO or TRIP meter” if the ****
is not pressed for ten seconds.
4) Performing steps 1) and 2) again when the buzzer reminder is off exits cancel mode.
5) The cancel mode will also exit when the battery or combination meter connector is reconnected.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it another try!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member

Has anyone tried the steps, its not working. Will this completely shut off the buzzer. The light on the dash is enough reminder for me.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

... Fastening the driver’s seat belt while holding the **** cancels the buzzer reminder.
That's the key phrase - basically after you've been holding the odometer **** for 10 seconds, click your seatbelt (without letting the go of the ****) - you will see the display change to b-OFF. you are done. you can click the **** to swith from b-OFF to b-ON, if you ever want to make it annoying again.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol
Old 12-24-2004, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

revised procedure by Ivblown works fine! thanks
Old 01-02-2005, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member

I tried this procedure several times, but it only seems to affect the automatic locks - making the switch operative/inoperative. What's going on here?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you forget to buckle up after you disengage the buzzer this might be you!
http://www.949zeta.com/pages/noSeatbelt.html

Quick Reply: You're a complete idiot if you don't wear your seatbelt!