Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Is $200+Installation Really Worth the TRD Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Wow.... so much disinformation....

For daily drivers, much lower than TRD's or H-Techs are going to get you into trouble in the snow or for angles (I hate diagonally driving up ramps to driveways)... I can't run anything lower with my 19's without rubsville anyways...

Paying anything over 150 for spring installs is too much... and do not buy them from the dealer... you can get them shipped online for MUCH cheaper... and get them installed at a local shop for around 150 or so... at least save yourself a few hundred bucks

If you have a local scion club or regional area club... they probably is someone who has done them themselves... and could help you if you want to save a few bucks and learn a lot about your car's suspension..

The struts are a nice upgrade as well, but not absolutely neccesary with the smaller drop of the TRD springs...

Be aware, that dropping anything over 1.5 will start to effect your suspension geometry negatively.... as your pivot point will go lower than the center of the wheel... which isn't good for performance.... just for looks.... if you want that ballpark... coilovers are the way to go.

BTW... I run TRD's and I think it looks Damn Good...

Old 12-08-2005, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If any of you guys are in the Portland area, I'll install the springs and sway bars for you for a price. Just let me know.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'lll install them for a dinner and props... In the Portland area...

Sorry Apex...

I've got a few under my belt.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I don't.. I'm on my second TC. ;)

Yer killing me.... hahah.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default there is cheaper

Find a local modder in your area... I got my car lowered with TRD springs for $50 bucks TOTAL !!!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Springs and Shocks

Originally Posted by Immune
Can anyone help me?

The TRD springs i can purchase at Toyota right?

How about TRD shocks i can get it there too?

I made a post.. what is the MIN DROP for TRD springs?

I hope i can get TRD shocks/springs in one place.

Also how good does Spings/Shocks last.
www.trdsparks.com (Sparks Toyota/Scion) is always a good place for TRD.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...1&parts_id=325

Ken
Old 12-09-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i do all socal tc, xb, xa drops for 50 bucks. PM me.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

____ drive to fresno, i know of two shops that will do the install and alignment for under 150.00
Old 12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD is only worth it if you don't want a low drop, and you don't want to drive aggressivly. (i.e track) Even then you can go with tein h-techs which perform a little better with the same drop.

S-techs will drop you the most if you want springs.

You aren't going to see 3'' from springs, safely anyway. If you want to be that low go buy coilovers.

Cya
Old 12-24-2005, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I were to get the factory ground kit, would it be better to get the TRD springs or would the S-Techs combined w/ the ground kit rub off on speed bumps?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My TRD Springs and ground kit are JUST perfect... any lower and you'll face rubbing/curb issues

The TRD drop is almost perfect for the suspension setup.... and will suit most people perfectly...
Old 12-24-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
My TRD Springs and ground kit are JUST perfect... any lower and you'll face rubbing/curb issues

The TRD drop is almost perfect for the suspension setup.... and will suit most people perfectly...
Explain by what you call rubbing issues? There are tons of tC owners dropped 2+ inches with no rubbing issues, so i don't get what you are talking about. I also don't understand when you say "trd is almost perfect for the suspension set up.." Are you talking about the stock suspension? Because that doesn't matter when you start replacing it. Explain yourself!!!

Cya
Old 12-24-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I mean rubbing your bumber going up inclines and hitting parking curbs.... Mine JUST clears the curbs in my parking garage... so I don't have to worry about parking too far forward and I don't have to worry about rubbing the front of my bumper off going up and down driveway inclines... any lower and you get problems and have to drive diagonally too much....

Also, in regards to the setup of our tC suspension, if you drop it too much, you start getting detrimental performance... you don't want to lower the car too far, or you will change the suspension geometry to non-optimal settings....

TRD springs will suit more people's needs than S-Techs or lower options... most people don't want THAT stiff of a suspension, so in that regard, it's the perfect option to present to the general public. (an increase in performance, without TOO many comprimises in comfort and usability)
Old 12-24-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mean rubbing your bumber going up inclines and hitting parking curbs.... Mine JUST clears the curbs in my parking garage... so I don't have to worry about parking too far forward and I don't have to worry about rubbing the front of my bumper off going up and down driveway inclines... any lower and you get problems and have to drive diagonally too much....
Gotcha, not really. I'm dropped 2.2/front 2.3/rear and as long as you are carefull and pay attention, its not bad at all. Of course you will eventually get some scrapes underneath, but nothing mind blowing.

My old GSR was dropped 3.8'' and it was a daily, i rarely ever had to touch up any paint on the bottom, and when i did it was underneath so it wasn't even something i had to do, just something i wanted to do.

TRD is not the lowest you can go without problems, you can go as low as you want providing you have experience with driving a lowered car and know what to do in certain situations, such as driveways. Its the price to pay to look good and improve cornering significantly given the right set up.

Cya
Old 12-24-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The reality I discuss is that most people don't want to have to drive differently and comprimise ride quality "TOO" much to get a desired performance gain...

I'd suggest coil-overs to someone who wants the best of both worlds... and great performance

With the factory lip kit and trd springs, your wheel gap is perfectly uniform and when you slap on some 18's, or 19's... it looks just great... not too much need to go any further... and you can drive pretty much worry free...

to each his own... but too low... just too many comprimises.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reality I discuss is that most people don't want to have to drive differently and comprimise ride quality "TOO" much to get a desired performance gain...

I'd suggest coil-overs to someone who wants the best of both worlds... and great performance

With the factory lip kit and trd springs, your wheel gap is perfectly uniform and when you slap on some 18's, or 19's... it looks just great... not too much need to go any further... and you can drive pretty much worry free...

to each his own... but too low... just too many comprimises.
Well if you 19's or 20's on the tC, you probably aren't into performance to begin with. If you are, you shouldn't be on 19's or 20's. With that said, yes, to each their own.

Cya
Old 12-24-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wheels for Show, Wheels for Go....

Track Wheels are not as aesthetically pleasing as a pair of 19's or 20's for show's and daily driving... and changeovers are cake...

If you want performance.... shouldn't have started with a Scion anyways ... LoL.

Everything is a mix and a comprimise....
Old 12-24-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wheels for Show, Wheels for Go....

Track Wheels are not as aesthetically pleasing as a pair of 19's or 20's for show's and daily driving... and changeovers are cake...

If you want performance.... shouldn't have started with a Scion anyways ... LoL.

Everything is a mix and a comprimise....
Everyone always says, you shouldn't have started with a scion. Thats the whole point of tuning and watching your car grow. Yeah, we could have all bought a $30,000 sports car if we wanted, but we didn't for whatever reason.

As far as autocross goes, the xb handles amazing. Its a light weight, which was part of the reason i bought one plus i just liked it. I've come first 6 of 8 times this season in my class, and i have beat several cars with overall times in the classes above me. Bottom line is, it doesn't really matter what car you start out with, it just matters what you want it for. I really hope to see more road course/autox threads because all of these 1/4 time chats are getting boring. No offense to anyone that does it, but theres more out there than getting to xxx in xx.xx time.

Cya
Old 12-24-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ I Agree.... I love my xB.... and for Auto-X, the Scions have some great potential...

I agree that 1/4 miles aren't everything, but there are different types of tuning....

Auto-X/Drag/Dyno Queens/Rally/Show...

I mix them all (Cause I love them all) and make comprimises for one or the other at times... but, that's the life...
Old 12-25-2005, 12:19 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I was told the OEM ground kit didn't lower the car any.

Quick Reply: Is $200+Installation Really Worth the TRD Lowering Springs?