Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

07 TC tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 AM

Default 07 TC tire wear

Hello, The tires on my stock TC are wearing in a choppy pattern only on the very inside row of treads. They have been rotated a couple of times and the car has 17K on it. I took it to the dealer for an alignment check and they said everything was within spec. i have the printout with the numbers on it if that helps. Anybody else having this problem? The tires are very noisy at low speeds.
Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If everything's within spec, then it's likely that the tires are just worn out and need replacing.

The tires supplied with the car are not very good, and are largely responsible for the mediocre handling ratings given by independent testers.

Time to replace them... but search for recommendations, and choose a tire based on what you'll be using it for.

All-seasons with high treadwear for just daily road use.
Soft, sticky tires with low treadwear ratings for racing.

One other question - Do you usually keep a lot of weight in the car? Keeping a lot of weight may cause temporary excessive negative camber, which goes with what you're describing.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also alot of it comes down to where you drive, and how you drive.

my stock ones (the bridgestone protenzas) lasted only about 20K before i had to replace them...my mom's subaru which has the exact same set that my tc came with, and she is at nearly 60 k, and they are still fine.

granted, there are different cars, with different suspension and drivetrains, but i think it is largely due to her driving much more slowly then i do.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stock tires suck... end of story buy new ones
Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 PM

I hardly ever carry extra weight in the car and if i do it's only for a very short time. I hate to replace the tires as they have alot of tread left on them. I would hate to replace them and have the same problem again. The stock tires are yokohamas, what do you recommend for an all season tire. Here in wisconsin I have to have a tire like that.
thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes the stock tires suck. i was soooooooo shocked when i replaced them. the car is totally different now.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: 07 TC tire wear

Originally Posted by grinderman
Hello, The tires on my stock TC are wearing in a choppy pattern only on the very inside row of treads. They have been rotated a couple of times and the car has 17K on it. I took it to the dealer for an alignment check and they said everything was within spec. i have the printout with the numbers on it if that helps. Anybody else having this problem? The tires are very noisy at low speeds.
Thanks
I have the same exact problem on my '06 TC. Stock Yokohamas. Lots of tread left and very even wear across most of the tire but the inside edges are wearing in a scalloped pattern and makes a lot of noise. The wear is also not the same all the way around the circumference. I have always driven it gently and at moderate speeds. It happens on the front tires. When I rotate them to the rear it doesn't get worse on the rear but then then begins again on the front. It started at about 15K miles even with rotating the tires every 5K. I've now got 24K miles and lots of tread but the noise is driving me nuts. Starting to feel some vibration in the steering wheel too at low speeds that matches the growling from the tires.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by grinderman
I hardly ever carry extra weight in the car and if i do it's only for a very short time. I hate to replace the tires as they have alot of tread left on them. I would hate to replace them and have the same problem again. The stock tires are yokohamas, what do you recommend for an all season tire. Here in wisconsin I have to have a tire like that.
thanks
definitely post up the alignment results, I'd like to take a look at exactly what's going on. thanks!!

Also if you do need new tires, I'd recommend (along with a lot of other tC owners) the Toyo Proxes4 very good indeed, you can do a search to see what everyone is saying about them. Good match for the tC.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have this problem too. its called "feathering" my co workers (firestone technitions) are telling me that its because of constant acceleration so i dono. they like to feed me as much BS as they can. try some new tires