Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Another uneven lowering story...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another uneven lowering story...

I've been reading a ton of people including myself have the problem where the front passenger side sits higher than the front driver side after lowering. I lowered my 07 tC using Hotchkis springs and noticed the difference immediately. I figured they just needed some time to settle.. I drove about 2 weeks and saw no difference (finger check and everything).. It's about a 1 finger difference for me in the front.. I then got a 4 wheel alignment and it didn't help anything. I even asked the tire shop to inspect my springs to see if they were installed properly and they said they looked great. So no problems there.. i've been driving the car lowered for about 6 months now and the gap difference still remains.

Is this just the nature of the tC? Or is there a real fix to this? I've read TRD, Tein, Hotchkis and other springs producing the same results. It makes me wonder if the tC sits crooked on the stock springs as well (any confirmation?).

Thoughts? Advice? It straight up bothers me seeing my car sitting uneven.. It's noticeable to the naked eye, although I don't expect a lot of people to notice it.. but i'm **** and want this fixed.

Jay
Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Eibach Pro-Kit....Even ALL around....

But getting Progress Springs soon...They are level ALL-around too...

I have a few friends w/ TEIN Stechs they have no probs....
and a friend w/ B&G Springs no Prob;ems..

I know TuRD Springs are notorious for being Uneven....& Hotchkis Springs...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shrug, I think i'll re-seat my front passenger side spring and see if it helps.. maybe it's not sitting right.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No it shouldn't be uneven. Call hotchkis and tell them your situation and they'll probably replace it.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey, so is this uneven lowering situation common in the hotchkis springs?? Because i was just about to buy those springs this weekend...
Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

My TRDs used to be uneven, but I think they're all the same now (or close enough to go unnoticed). I'll get a tape out tomorrow and take some measurements.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if he's not riding with anyone in the passenger seat wouldn't the extra weight on the one side of the car make it uneven? *shrug* seems logical to me..my TRD springs are uneven from driver to passenger side (driver side is lower)
Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They just look uneven because the wheel well for the front wheel is bigger than the back
Old 11-02-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just throw some weight on the passenger side for like a week or two and it'll even it out
Old 11-04-2007, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really don't think it's a weight problem.. if it were, i'd start to question the quality of all of these spring makers if they can't support the weight of the car.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

same happened to me too but i just got them and my garage slopes downward to the drivers side so puts more weight on that side.so right now im just parking with the car on a curb leaning on the passenger side to even it out..that works for me
Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have s-techs and i noticed that the driver side sits lower not by much but it does... im hoping it will settle out only been on them for a week so we will see
Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the Tein H-Techs installed this past September and I noticed the passenger side was a slightly higher than the driver side. After about a month regular driving, everything leveled out.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my coilovers are like 1/2 higher on the right side than on the left, but thats just because i am too lazy to lower them again, it takes too much time
Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wow, i have trd springs and never checked about eveness.. will check tomorrow
Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default uneven

The problem is probably not the Springs. This is one write up from someone who had the same problem and it's been this same problem every time we first started hearing about it. Take a look, I think it will help.

Ken

I figured it out............checked everything and they were in correctly......upon
inspection of the struts when they are out of the car you will notice that the orientation of the left spring is different than the right (so they will fit). because of this the left strut becomes abou 1/8-1/4 inch shorter!! FIX!!!!!! (def. REAR BUT PROB FRONT TOO!!!!)..............LEAVE THE STRUTS IN THE CAR!!!!!! take the trunk apart so you can see the top of the struts (you have to take out the side walls). Once you can see the strut tops, pry the plastic cover off. NOW WITH THE CAR ON THE GROUND (not jacked up), crank the strut top nut down on the strut that is higher!!! YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW FAR DOWN YOU CAN GO. This will essentially "even out" the two sides. I assume this will work on the front as well, as you can take theplastic tops out to see the screw with NO EFFORT.
I got this tip from a mechanic who worked with race cars, and he said sometimes the shorter springs + the strut orientation will result in one side being taller (or shorter). That is why there will be some thread left in the strut top screw.

Good Luck.............THIS WORKED FOR ME!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

interesting... i'll have to keep that little trick in mind once my TRD springs go on if they end up uneven
Old 12-21-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope i have no issues b/c i want to lower my car soon using TRD so im going to keep my fingers crossed... ...but i never had a problem with my last cars....97 jetta GLX VR6 and 06 rsx type s....the wheel wells do look bigger in the back then the front on the tC but hopefully mine will be even all around....ill keep you guys posted when i decide to lower it...
Old 12-25-2007, 08:09 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

my stechs are uneven... the drivers side is lower than the passenger. 1 finger drivers side and 2 fingers passenger. i noticed it when i first installed them. its been 6 months and there still uneven. the only time there even is when my girlfriend is in the car. she weighs 20 less than me

i want some b&g rs2 coilovers but cant find them anywhere
Old 12-25-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SW_08
i hope i have no issues b/c i want to lower my car soon using TRD so im going to keep my fingers crossed... ...but i never had a problem with my last cars....97 jetta GLX VR6 and 06 rsx type s....the wheel wells do look bigger in the back then the front on the tC but hopefully mine will be even all around....ill keep you guys posted when i decide to lower it...
U dont wanna get the TuRD Springs then...the front will be Higher!

Quick Reply: Another uneven lowering story...