Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Autocross Brake Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
I agree 100%. The Ultimates dust waaaaaaay too much. To the OP, you may even want to try these:

http://www.dezod.com/pd-stoptechperf_tc_fr.cfm
I'll probably pick up a set of those in a while for next season.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Please keep us posted!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
I'll probably pick up a set of those in a while for next season.
Usually plenty in stock!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I got around to installing the brakes today. It took longer than I expected but for the most part it went smoothly. I had to adjust the handbrake a bit afterward and this took extra time. This was the first time I've ever dealt with the shoe-style handbrake setup and I had it adjusted way too far out (parking brake didn't do a thing at first).

Initial impressions are mixed. The pedal feel has improved a bit but it is still far more spongy than I would like. I suppose some of this could just be the nature of the tC and/or the stock rubber lines. I flushed out the old fluid (which looked perfectly fine as it was coming out of the lines) and replaced it with DOT 4 fluid. It seemed to help a little bit but not a lot. My friend mentioned that sometimes the shims can get corroded (which they were a bit) and this can contribute to the spongy feel, so I may consider replacing those.

On the performance front, I was a bit underwhelmed during the bed-in stops. I didn't feel much, if any ABS activity during my stops, which was a bit surprising. I'll have to see how it does this Sunday at the autocross event when I can really try out the brakes.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude lose the breaks man its just extra weight! Just cut out your floor and use your feet! I always say if it worked for Barney and Fred it can work for me!!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Dude lose the breaks man its just extra weight! Just cut out your floor and use your feet! I always say if it worked for Barney and Fred it can work for me!!
Well I guess that answers the unasked question of how strong the alcohol is in Florida.

In other news, the brakes felt a bit better today. It seemed like the brakes had enough power to engage the ABS, at least at lower speeds, so that's comforting. Additionally, so far I haven't noticed any squeals from the Poterfield R4S pads in the rear (I don't expect them from the HPS pads in the front).
Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Even my stock brake pads on good tires were able to engage ABS. There is more to the issue than pads if you have that issue.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Even my stock brake pads on good tires were able to engage ABS. There is more to the issue than pads if you have that issue.
Tires obviously play a big factor and the Star Specs are pretty grippy. I know the original brakes could lock up my all-seasons but couldn't lock up the Dunlops. I think I'm ok now though, I just need to wait until Sunday to really test out the new brakes.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You were saying though that even with your new pads you were having trouble getting into ABS. My Deluxe Plus pads (nice, but by no means all out track pads) will easily get into ABS on Azenis RT-615's and on my RE-01Rs, which are as grippy, if not more grippy than the Star Specs. I would bet even on stock pads I would be able to based upon their performance. Brakes are by far the least concern on this car, so it just seems to me that you may have more going on than just pads causing your brake performance to be poor.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You were saying though that even with your new pads you were having trouble getting into ABS. My Deluxe Plus pads (nice, but by no means all out track pads) will easily get into ABS on Azenis RT-615's and on my RE-01Rs, which are as grippy, if not more grippy than the Star Specs. I would bet even on stock pads I would be able to based upon their performance. Brakes are by far the least concern on this car, so it just seems to me that you may have more going on than just pads causing your brake performance to be poor.
I understand what you are saying, that's why I want to see how they do when I can really test them out at the autocross. My comments regarding the ABS were regarding the initial bed-in stops. I didn't notice much ABS involvement during those stops, but I think now that they are bed-in the performance has improved.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Cool. Let us know how it goes. We just had our last two events last weekend until spring

Saturday morning was a rare one... I cleaned about 2 inches of SNOW off my car before leaving for the event. Overpasses were icy (and I was on RE-01Rs... VERY slow going) and it was 28 degrees when the event started! There were even small patches of ice on the course at first. Good thing our course designers are great at keeping the courses safe... plus it was a match of one of the Nats courses from this year so it was laid out very well.

Sunday it was a bit nicer, but started at about 33 degrees and ended at about 40. Cold **** autox!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even my stock brake pads on good tires were able to engage ABS.
Seconded. I'm able to get ABS on old stock pads and KDW2's.

I'm looking at going with the Porterfield R4-S pads all the way around next season.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
Seconded. I'm able to get ABS on old stock pads and KDW2's.

I'm looking at going with the Porterfield R4-S pads all the way around next season.
I found a problem with the front R4-S pads. Porterfield used a stick-on (adhesive) shim on the back of the front pads. I didn't think much of it, til the pads began to squeal. I began to smell BBQ coming from my front brakes, it was this shim they stuck on! I took the adhesive shim off, put on the factory shims (got them new) with the brake grease on the shim. No more problems, no more smell and no more squealing!

The pads are awesome now...
I called Porterfield and let the parts guy know whats up. He apologized and agreed to take it off and put the factory METAL shim on. Which I already had done.
So just helping you save time when you go to put the pads in!

Oh and the rear R4-S pads, make sure you add some brake grease on the back of the pad and then put the shim back on. Yeah it comes with shims but they squeal/squeak in reverse. Greasing them up removed that.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Noted. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool. Let us know how it goes. We just had our last two events last weekend until spring

Saturday morning was a rare one... I cleaned about 2 inches of SNOW off my car before leaving for the event. Overpasses were icy (and I was on RE-01Rs... VERY slow going) and it was 28 degrees when the event started! There were even small patches of ice on the course at first. Good thing our course designers are great at keeping the courses safe... plus it was a match of one of the Nats courses from this year so it was laid out very well.

Sunday it was a bit nicer, but started at about 33 degrees and ended at about 40. Cold **** autox!
Some of our members were joking about a snow course this weekend. I think the temperatures should hold out, but I do have a set of wheels and snow tires just in case.

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
Oh and the rear R4-S pads, make sure you add some brake grease on the back of the pad and then put the shim back on. Yeah it comes with shims but they squeal/squeak in reverse. Greasing them up removed that.
When I installed the R4-S pads in the rear I placed the factory shim over the pads. I didn't grease the shims, only the slots where the pads slide. So far I haven't noticed any squeaking or squealing. Are you saying (ideally) the R4-S pads designed to not need the shims, but don't work well without them?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I will just say... RE-01R's on freezing pavement are interesting to say the least... and on icy bridges... well.. that is a slow going, butt puckering drive. Shoulda just put my all seasons back on and swapped wheels on site.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I forget; the RE-010A's are the preferred wet tire, right?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rexpelagi
Some of our members were joking about a snow course this weekend. I think the temperatures should hold out, but I do have a set of wheels and snow tires just in case.

When I installed the R4-S pads in the rear I placed the factory shim over the pads. I didn't grease the shims, only the slots where the pads slide. So far I haven't noticed any squeaking or squealing. Are you saying (ideally) the R4-S pads designed to not need the shims, but don't work well without them?
I was saying that for me I had to grease between the shim and brake pad on the rear r4-s pads. They came with a shim from Porterfield so I kept it. I had to grease it up because switching into reverse would make a squeak, even had that on the stock pads to remove the noise.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not sure on the 01A's. They may be good on wet. The 01Rs are actually pretty good on wet, usually pretty fast. The problem is in the cold. At our event, the guys running Yoko's found that they were great in the cold compared to most of the other summer tires out there. The r-comp guys were just SOL as far as traction :D
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, ice on the pavement is waayyyy too cold for R comps. I'm amazed you even made it there running such summer-focused rubber!

Quick Reply: Autocross Brake Suggestions