Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

B&G Coilover thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default B&G Coilover thread!

I hope its cool that im making this. Ive noticed a couple other coilover brands have their own thread, so i thought i'd make a b&g thread. Ive noticed several more people acquiring b&g rs2 coilovers recently, so why not have a place for everyones pictures? PLUS, nobody gets b&g's unless they want to go LOW! So it should be an amazing group of pictues... Anyways... Ive had mine on a little over a year, still going great.

Name:  DSC_0464-1.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0346.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  105.7 KB
Old 03-30-2011, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i dont know how well this is going to work.
as far as im aware the only other 2 brands that have their own threads are stance and raceland.

The racelands have one because theyre cheap so it started as a discussion about how good they were for the quality and is still open.

The stances have one because they just came out so people had some questions and wanted to see them installed.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice! Thats one stubby antenna!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks clean these go lower than the RL's by far. How is the ride, being that low.
My RL's are one thread all around and feel ok after almost 2 years.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can the ride height be adjusted independently of the the dampening?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Yes! And they ride great, I've had my dad and brother in the car and haven't had any complaints and both say the ride is good. The coilovers absorb dips and bumps well and doesn't make the car jump all over the place like some other coilovers do. I do rub on the fender liner because of it and how low I am but love the coilovers and glad that I did not cancel my order and waited for them to arrive. I think I'm the only one riding on 8K springs front and rear, these come with 6K springs front and 8K rear. You may ask why do I have 8K springs in the front? Well I wanted 8K front and 10K rear but B&G doesn't have 10K springs available, they are special order(and then another 2 month wait), so my front springs were only swapped and I'll probably source 10K springs elsewhere. I'm liking how everything is so far so I don't feel in such a rush to get 10K for the rear.

Pics of what you get can be found here...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201185

Height adjustment:
Front: ~5" Rear:~3.5"

Spring Rate:
Front: 6K Rear: 8K

Dampening Adjustment:
18 levels

Adjustable Camber Plates?:
None/Not Available

Adjustable Endlinks for the front are included, the coilovers arrive assembled with top mounts to make for ease of install, 2 spanner wrenches to tighten/loosen the perch/lock rings, lifetime warranty.

Pics to be posted later of how the car is sitting later if I get the car cleaned up.

Last edited by dropzone; 04-18-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason I ask is because I'm looking into possibly getting coilovers instead of a spring/strut combo once my stock suspension goes out of me. I was looking at Racelands, but based on the outrageously low price and "made in China" quality, I have my doubts about them. I also like the concept of being able to adjust dampening and ride height separately.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Same reason why I held out for these, the ride height adjustment is independent of the spring pre-load and dampening, so you can really lower the car and maintain ride comfort. Now don't forget that since the spring rates go up, you will feel more of the road, but the dampening on these handle bumps and dips well. Also the lifetime warranty is a plus.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't know if u answered this but did u modify the coilovers to get them that low? Any perch rings removed?

still debating between B&G, FF Type II or the D2 coilovers

thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right now the rears are pretty much on top of the tire, lowered with the body threaded up to where it stops, and the spring are preloaded. If I take off the preload and bring the perches down I don't know how much of a drop I'd exactly get, but I have 1/2" of threads how it is now. The fronts have ~2+" of threads to go lower, I'm also set with the fender on top of the tire. If I can get up at a decent time before work I'll try to post pics.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
^Yes! And they ride great, I've had my dad and brother in the car and haven't had any complaints and both say the ride is good. The coilovers absorb dips and bumps well and doesn't make the car jump all over the place like some other coilovers do. I do rub on the fender liner because of it and how low I am but love the coilovers and glad that I did not cancel my order and waited for them to arrive. I think I'm the only one riding on 8K springs front and rear, these come with 6K springs front and 8K rear. You may ask why do I have 8K springs in the front? Well I wanted 8K front and 10K rear but B&G doesn't have 10K springs available, they are special order(and then another 2 month wait), so my front springs were only swapped and I'll probably source 10K springs elsewhere. I'm liking how everything is so far so I don't feel in such a rush to get 10K for the rear.
Thats what I'm doing with my B&Gs 8kg/mm up front and 10kg/mm rear. I've asked them about 10kg/mm springs too they said they don't make them. I'm having a hard time looking for the rear springs. They are have to be even shorter then original 140mm B&G springs.
Oh btw, those of you who had these coilovers close to a year or so check your shocks. I blew my rear shock in less than a year. Crazy thing is I couldn't even tell until i took it apart ride is still amazingly smooth even with blown shocks. Still haven't ordered replacement.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DSCF0049 by 09 RS 5, on Flickr

DSCF0070 by 09 RS 5, on Flickr

DSCF0078 by 09 RS 5, on Flickr

DSCF0148 by 09 RS 5, on Flickr

frontclearancecheck by 09 RS 5, on Flickr

rearcheck by 09 RS 5, on Flickr

DSCF0150 by 09 RS 5, on Flickr

DSCF0149 by 09 RS 5, on Flickr
Old 04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That strut / coilover comparison pic is awesome.. Thanks for posting that one!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, that just shows how much range there is with the front. When i installed it like it was matched up to the TRD I was sitting just about or higher than stock! With the rear one could easily set to the same height as TRD's and go a bit higher but didn't want to end up taking off the lower body figuring that. Now if the threaded part of the coilover for the rear could be short I could tuck a bit with no problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how many rings you got in the back?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All three just like in the pic posted, it's actually installed exactly like that.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

remove two! Ive only got one and i cut about half an inch off my lower mount
Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM

So I just picked up a set of these super cheap from a local shop in San Diego....but I have some questions. I'm extremely new to coilovers and don't know much about the tips and tricks to get them lower and whatnot. I haven't had a chance to put them on yet but after playing around with them I noticed a few things. On the two rear coils, I maxed each one to the lowest thread but noticed that when each was maxed there were different gaps between the two smaller perches. Does this mean my preload is different or messed with on each or one of them? and if it is, is that hard to fix or is that not really a massive deal?

I want to go pretty dang low once these things are put on. The roads and highways around here are pretty decent so I want to be able to have at least a 4 finger gap from the ground to the bottom of the skirts. My eventual goal is stancing the car out but I can only go as fast as my wallet allows for the project. With that sort of drop in mind, what all can be done to get me there? For example, would I need to adjust the preload on each coil? Or I've heard people take off perches, but I'm curious how that works if the bottom part only threads so far. Also I want to try and avoid breaking my warranty unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for any and all help guys and gals! It is greatly appreciated. I'll also try and get some pics up of the difference in threads I mentioned.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What most have done to lower the rear more you take off the preload lowering all the rings down. Not much of an option on keeping the preload there, and if it's not enough for you, then start removing the locking rings. If that still not enough after all of that then run a shorter spring. The fronts should not have any problem getting low low.

Quick Reply: B&G Coilover thread!