Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

battery weight ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default battery weight ?

wondering what the weight of the oem battery and is there any other battery out there worth the money that will weigh less and handle a system?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching...i might learn something new...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im always hearing good things about optima red and yellow top batteries.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was thinking of those they have one thats 31lbs. but still dont know the difference in weight between the two
Old 03-07-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

found this info http://www.kingofimports.com/product...0&idproduct=57

The Braille battery has been referred to by many as an 'insanely small battery' tipping the scales at a mere 11.5 lbs. Comes with all necessary installation components including automotive posts and nylon spacers for a quick and easy installation in most vehicles.The batteries supplied by manufacturers weigh between 32.5 and 50lbs. Installing the Braille battery removes a considerable amount of weight from the vehicles front and and provides a noticeable improvement in acceleration and handling.

if this is true the optima is about 1 maybe 2 ibs. lighter and the racing batt is about 20lbs. lighter but will the racing batt handle a system and daily driving. im also looking for good batt life(amount of cranks and so on)
Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Unless you are stripping the entire car to save alot of weight, the 20 lbs wont ever make a noticeable difference. If this were a sports car (actually being used to race seriously) being run on a track for some serious racing (and many laps) then 20 lbs could be the difference you need, but if you are running a system, you are already adding more weight than you will save with even super lightweight battery. And I dont think we are racing to the point of thousandths of a second being an issue Just get an optima and call it good.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the braille is a popular choice amoung racers because of its light weight. would not recommend it with a system because the battery has been known to need a jump if its been sitting over a week.

optima batteries are a better route to go for a system. swapping batteries is a good way to reduce weight off the front of your car. only consider this route if you are serious about weight reduction.

a better option would be to relocate the battery. you can mount it in your trunk over the rear wheels. plus you will also lower the center of gravity and free up more room in the engine bay.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by shinkuu
the braille is a popular choice amoung racers because of its light weight. would not recommend it with a system because the battery has been known to need a jump if its been sitting over a week.

optima batteries are a better route to go for a system. swapping batteries is a good way to reduce weight off the front of your car. only consider this route if you are serious about weight reduction.

a better option would be to relocate the battery. you can mount it in your trunk over the rear wheels. plus you will also lower the center of gravity and free up more room in the engine bay.
another nod to battery relocation, it'll even make it easier to run your wires for your system, you'd just need to run seperate wires back to the engine bay for the alternator and whatnot.

do a search for the user "raamaudio" and look for "battery" he mentioned it quite a few times and gave a little bit of detail now and again on where it's mounted, and how.

Personally, I would worry about weight regardless, but you need to make sure it has enough cranking amps and a deep enough cell to handle what you need, and obviously the smaller you go, the more trade-offs you'll deal with. The stock battery weighs 38lbs. If you'd like to knock some weight off your car for free, check out the thread I made a while ago https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120268
Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thnx guys for the feedback... thinking about relocation and i did see that article on stripping the wieght from the car...very informative.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM
SL Member

the battery size wont really effect anything.. but make sure that they have they same CCA's (cold cranking amps)
Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you put the battery in the rear you end up adding heavy starter wires back to the engine which will add more weight to the car. But it will lighten your wallet!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's all about weight distribution, you're taking away a heavy element in the front and putting it in the rear. the weight of the wires will all be lower on the car and evenly distributed.

the tC needs a diet but more importantly, it needs to loose weight off the front. too bad most of the weight that can be easily removed is in the rear.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I hear that - too bad they always mount the heavy battery way up high too but I guess in cases of deep water it is better to keep it up high.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if your battery is getting flooded, you have more problems to be worried about.

also, for chopping weight off the front of the car, the counter-weights for the motor and tranny mounts can be removed, and at the same time filling them with window weld, close to 15lbs total can be saved with negligible vibrations added. Also, the counter-weight for the shift cable can be removed and that will save over 5lbs. The plastic engine cover weighs over 2.5lbs. the battery can be moved to the rear taking another 38lbs off the front. That's about 60lbs off the front of the car. That brings the weight split down to about 57/43 weight distribution with barely spending any money.

carbon fiber hood and front-side fenders (about $1,000 total) saves about 55lbs total, bringing it down to about 55/45.

Of course, if you knock out the hundred&fifty plus pounds out of the back of the car, you're now back to square one with the weight distribution, even though you knocked about 350lbs off the car for your hard work and tons of money spent.

Anybody converted the TC to mid-engine, RWD yet?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ is this the only guy on here who knows anything at all about tCs and cars in general?

i'm just going to add that any imbalance in weight should be corrected with CORNER BALANCING! i've said it before in other threads. Even tho the mass in front of the tC will always be there, a balanced car will help send that weight to where its needed.

i fixed my weight distribution problem by getting a Z and a RX-8. For what i needed, it was cheaper to spend the extra $10k and get a different car than to put 10k into the tC and still not have what i want. (i figure the cost of getting 300hp, six speed tranny, and rwd out of the tC would cost $10k) i'm still around tCs all the time tho and the two biggest weakness for me about the tC is it's weight distribution (not too much its weight since the Z actually weighs a lot more) and it's brakes. my next move from the Z will probably be a Lotus or something <2500 lbs. all this talk about weight is making me hungry, time to start thinking about lunch now....
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone know what the cca of the stock oem battery is?

any pics of an aftermarket lightweight battery in their engine bay?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

if i remember correctly mine was 800 cca.......i tossed it for a red top and have never been happier......my red top has like 100 minutes of reserve power for when you are using it with the motor off......and a 3 year warrenty and it was i think 6 lbs lighter or so
Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about those braille batteries, they are light, small, and powerfully right? I need a new, powerful, could care less about weight battery, because my stock one is hurting...