Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Best Autocross Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

i didnt read all the posts but another suggestion for u...Ptuning doesnt run a front sway bar or a strut tower bar...they took them completely out. and they are destroying the competition.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true, and Chris Rado just has the Progress rear sways no front sway and not sure about the front strut tower
Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sellin them yet as they are still on the ride but ill let you all know when the time comes in the classifieds section. maybe sometime late this month or next.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:47 PM

This is great information guys, I've enjoyed reading this thread.

As a poor college student, I have very limited funds to modify my tC. I autocross every opportunity I get, and would like to increase my car's performance at autocross. Currently I have TRD lowering springs, 18 inch wheels on pirelli P nero zero rubber, and the TRD exhaust. I'm trying to figure out how to increase its handling for the least amount of money.

Should I go with sway bars? If so, should it be the TRD, progress, or Hotchkis? Is it worth it to get better brake pads? Or should I go a different route all together?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WalkerRS

As a poor college student, I have very limited funds to modify my tC. I autocross every opportunity I get, and would like to increase my car's performance at autocross. Currently I have TRD lowering springs, 18 inch wheels on pirelli P nero zero rubber, and the TRD exhaust. I'm trying to figure out how to increase its handling for the least amount of money.

Should I go with sway bars? If so, should it be the TRD, progress, or Hotchkis? Is it worth it to get better brake pads? Or should I go a different route all together?

Thanks!

best bang for the buck is the progress rear sway.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Beckenbauer
i didnt read all the posts but another suggestion for u...Ptuning doesnt run a front sway bar or a strut tower bar...they took them completely out. and they are destroying the competition.
you must not forget they have a full cage, and in the front the welded a pipe to the two strut, so yes, technically do have a strut tower bar.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WalkerRS

Thanks!

Increasing handling might be counter productive to the wheels you have now. 18's are great for looks, but not so great for handling on our cars and tend to weigh more than 17's. See if you can pick up a really cheap set of lighter weight 17 (or even 16's if they clear your brake calipers) wheels and then wrap them in the highest quality rubber you can afford that still keeps you in the right autocross class. Obviously you said you're on a tight budget so that might be a stretch, but wheels and tires are a HUGE part of handling well. (Next time you're out at the auto-x track, check out the fast guys and see what rubber they're running for ideas on which tires work well. You'll have to make a decision if buying a second set of wheels and some expensive race rubber is the right choice for you though.)

Yes, you absolutely should go with a rear sway bar. They're one of the best/simplest modifications you can get for improving handling on the tC. I'd personally recommend only going with a stronger rear sway bar and just keeping the front sway bar stock. Which brand you choose for sway bars is mostly irrelevant so long as you put them on the stronger/tighter settings. I personally run the TRD sway bar, but I hear good things about Progress bar all the time.

Yes it's worth it to get better brake pads, but I'd say to just wait until you're getting close to needing a brake pad change anyway as the stock tC pads are decently adequate for lower level autocross. Wear out your stock or current pads, then switch up to something with more bite.

You're definitely on the right track with the two upgrades you were looking at.

Regarding NOT running a front sway bar: Like bdis3 said, the people not running front sway bars are also running pretty serious cages. I've tried running on the track with my front sway bar detached and the front end liked to 'squish'...I don't really know how to explain the exact feeling, but it wasn't what I was hoping for at all. It wasn't positive for handling and front-end reponse, that's for sure. Unless you're running a cage, I'd recommend keeping at least your stock sway bar.

Last edited by One-Nut_McGee; 11-02-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Coherency edit
Old 11-02-2009, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the response!

I still have my old stock 17 inch wheels, so I might try and put some quality tires on them. It seems like I should either get the TRD or Progress rear sway bar - I think I'm going to lean towards the TRD one, since it is a dealer option and shouldn't hurt my resale value later on in life.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this tread is bookmarked! i also plan to autocross in the future and this is a great thread.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i decided to go with the following:

NST shifter parts
TRD rear sway bar
Ingalls rear 4 point brace
C-Pillar
Power Slot - slotted rotors fronts/rears
SS brake lines from Corsport

Anyone have history with the "Red Stuff" pads?

im between these coilovers as when i started the thread lol:

Buddy Clubs Spec Damper (just came out in september)
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=6191

and

Progress Coilovers
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=1013

I think im gunna try the buddy clubs.. they look like great quality for the price. does anyone have any experience with these or will i be the first??

Tires on stocks:

Size: 215/45ZR17
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 (KDW for Key feature: Dry and Wet traction)

Mcgee - the TRD leather ball shifter is nice indeed, i went to get new spark plugs saturday and they had one left on display got it for 29 bucks best 29 bucks ever spent!!

Last edited by Gripking; 11-03-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Progress all the way. Everything I've seen from Buddy Club has been pretty crappy and PTuning has proven that the Progress will hold up to non-stop track abuse. The only Buddy Club stuff I've seen, were body kit parts, and fitment and quality was just terrible.

If you still have stock seats, I highly suggest looking into getting a racing seat and a harness. You'd be surprised at how much it helps when you're basically glued to the seat. If you don't want to DD with a racing seat, it only takes 5 mins to swap a seat.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Everything I've seen from Buddy Club has been pretty crappy and PTuning has proven that the Progress will hold up to non-stop track abuse. The only Buddy Club stuff I've seen, were body kit parts, and fitment and quality was just terrible.
Really? I've not really heard anything about Buddy Club being low quality before. The Honda boys get a lot of love from BC and I've never heard more than the random grumblings from them that you hear about every company when dealing with the Honda crowd. I've always just assumed that they were a "middle ground" parts company that was neither garbage nor gold.

Admittedly I've got lower exposure to their parts than some other brands so I can't speak with authority, but it sounds like you said that you've only seen their body kits so it might be a little quick to say that everything they make is crappy.

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
If you still have stock seats, I highly suggest looking into getting a racing seat and a harness. You'd be surprised at how much it helps when you're basically glued to the seat. If you don't want to DD with a racing seat, it only takes 5 mins to swap a seat.
Totally agree with this. 100%. You won't really realize just how much you're sliding around and desperately trying to keep yourself upright until you have a seat that does it for you. Without proper side bolstering or support from a proper belt, you'll use your hands and arms to grip onto the steering wheel very tightly. This is NEVER a good way to hold the wheel as it limits your ability to make the fine adjustments that racing/autocrossing/precision driving demands.

The seats are about 4-5 bolts depending on if you're pulling out stock or aftermarket seats, and about 3 plugs depending on which model year your car is. Super easy to do at the track. 14mm socket and about 15 minutes of work.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess might just end up with the progress.. lol

check out these seats im not trying to spend so much on seats..they have a pair of carbon fiber ones for 550... are these good quality seats?

http://www.andysautosport.com/scion/...i00204503.html

Last edited by Gripking; 11-03-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another question were on earth can i find a harness bar and a harness for the seats? i cant seem to find either.. ive seen a setup i believe with the takata harness that connects someplace around the back seats without a harness bar? idk if anyone can point me to the right website plz link thanks in adnvance
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NRG is fine...middle of the road quality-wise, but again, if you're only using it for the occasional auto-x day then it should be fine. Buy one, store it until you need to race, then bring it along and install it at the track and uninstall it for the ride home. (With all the switching of seats, make sure to be careful when bolting/unbolting them repeatedly. Retapping a bolt hole that is part of the car's body isn't always fun or recommended to do often)

Personally I'd recommend against buying from Andy's Autosport as they have been exposed to have taken part in some questionable business practices. You can buy those seats directly from the NRG website if I recall correctly so that'd ensure that your money is going to the right people.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gripking
another question were on earth can i find a harness bar and a harness for the seats? i cant seem to find either.. ive seen a setup i believe with the takata harness that connects someplace around the back seats without a harness bar? idk if anyone can point me to the right website plz link thanks in adnvance
NRG also makes a harness bar for us.

http://getnrg.com/products/

Skim around on there and you should be able to find everything you need except the harnesses. Personally, I think Takata is super overpriced/overrated. They have great marketing though so everyone knows them and I know everyone wants them and thinks they're "baller", but there are plenty of equal or better quality harnesses that you can get for cheaper.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Watching.....real good information in this thread
Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cavveee what up buddayyy

well even though i agree with you on the takata harness as i also feel the same about over rated/priced.. i did see one in a indy car , sarah fishers car to be exact (i believe) last month at homestead.. i was in shock! lol - i was thinking well damn.. i guess they are good after all?? - just thought id share that bit of info..

i see the harness bar and they also make the harness itself.. looks like ill be ordering thru one of my boys at www.noicsgarage.com they can get all the brands and parts for scions we have been talking about in this thread and hes local so it works out for me..

well.. its going to be an intresting 2 months getting the car ready for autocross.. and this is just suspension and interior work lol.. should be fun! my goal is to be ready by jan when the auto x season begins :D this thread has turned into a monster load of info.. i love it! thanks again everyone for inputting their 2 cents!!

Last edited by Gripking; 11-03-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i decided to go with the following:

NST shifter parts
TRD rear sway bar
Ingalls rear 4 point brace
C-Pillar
Power Slot - slotted rotors fronts/rears
SS brake lines from Corsport

Anyone have history with the "Red Stuff" pads?

im between these coilovers as when i started the thread lol:

Buddy Clubs Spec Damper (just came out in september)
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=6191

and

Progress Coilovers
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=1013

I think im gunna try the buddy clubs.. they look like great quality for the price. does anyone have any experience with these or will i be the first??

Tires on stocks:

Size: 215/45ZR17
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 (KDW for Key feature: Dry and Wet traction)

Mcgee - the TRD leather ball shifter is nice indeed, i went to get new spark plugs saturday and they had one left on display got it for 29 bucks best 29 bucks ever spent!!
I would stay away from the EBC pads for track use. I would go with Hawk front pads and Porterfield rear pads.

i guess might just end up with the progress.. lol

check out these seats im not trying to spend so much on seats..they have a pair of carbon fiber ones for 550... are these good quality seats?

http://www.andysautosport.com/scion/...i00204503.html
Check out these seats by Ultra-Shield. I sat in a set of these in a customers Viper last weekend. They are light weight, inexpensive, comfortable, optional lay back and offered in many sizes.

-Jeremy
Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

cavveee what up buddayyy

Whats up...glad to see you getting all the information you were looking for and more.

Cant wait to see you get your setup together and see how it works. Hopefully I will be able to run as well starting this January.

Quick Reply: Best Autocross Suspension?