Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

brake pad installation..

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ends would be what? The face of the pad or the left and right ends?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey instigator,

what pads would you recommend for the stock calipers, if I don't care about dusting but want really really good stopping. No track. Just daily driver on normal city streets. I do a lot of breaking while driving because of the roads taht I travel. How much would it cost for the fronts. Should I also change the rears? I only hear noise from the front brakes when I hit the brakes. Is it time to change?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you dont mind dust than I cant recommend the Axxis Ultimates high enough. They offer great bite and pedal feel and are also very inexpensive. From a balance standpoint it is better to install the rear pads at the same time to keep front and rear torque levels in check, but it will not cause any problems if you run the front only.

Noise form your front pads can mean different things depending on what the sound is. If the sound is a high pitched squeal that is only heard when light pedal pressure is applied when coming to a stop, the pads may need to be put through a bed-in procedure to restore the pad transfer layer onto the rotor: https://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/w...contents.shtml

If the noise is a more metallic sound that stays constant when the brakes are applied regardless of pedal pressure the the noise is most likely being caused by the pad wear sensors which are no more than metal tabs designed to rub againt the rotors. If this is the sound you are experiencing then the pads are most likely worn and should be replaced soon.

Another way to know if your pads are getting worn is if the "brake" light comes on while driving or comes on solid. This light comes on when a sensor in the brake fluid reservoir senses it is no longer submerged by fluid. This condition happens when the pads are worn causing the caliper pistons to stay pushed further out of the calipers. This lowers the fluid level in the cylinder itself and is completely normal. I this is the case, brake fluid shoud not be added to the reservoir to make the light go off due to the fact that when you go to install your new pads and push the caliper pistons back into the caliper body, the fluid the displaced will be pushed back into the reservoir causing it to overflow and make a big mess.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

today i just changed my breaks and i bled the lines a bit because the piston wouldnt fit with the new pades on, so when i bled it, the piston could be pushed. but now my right side of the car is screeching kinda bad, the left is ok. i bought the axxis pads ceramics. is that noise normal? and the right side smells too
Old 05-13-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
If you dont mind dust than I cant recommend the Axxis Ultimates high enough. They offer great bite and pedal feel and are also very inexpensive. From a balance standpoint it is better to install the rear pads at the same time to keep front and rear torque levels in check, but it will not cause any problems if you run the front only.

Noise form your front pads can mean different things depending on what the sound is. If the sound is a high pitched squeal that is only heard when light pedal pressure is applied when coming to a stop, the pads may need to be put through a bed-in procedure to restore the pad transfer layer onto the rotor: https://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/w...contents.shtml

If the noise is a more metallic sound that stays constant when the brakes are applied regardless of pedal pressure the the noise is most likely being caused by the pad wear sensors which are no more than metal tabs designed to rub againt the rotors. If this is the sound you are experiencing then the pads are most likely worn and should be replaced soon.

Another way to know if your pads are getting worn is if the "brake" light comes on while driving or comes on solid. This light comes on when a sensor in the brake fluid reservoir senses it is no longer submerged by fluid. This condition happens when the pads are worn causing the caliper pistons to stay pushed further out of the calipers. This lowers the fluid level in the cylinder itself and is completely normal. I this is the case, brake fluid shoud not be added to the reservoir to make the light go off due to the fact that when you go to install your new pads and push the caliper pistons back into the caliper body, the fluid the displaced will be pushed back into the reservoir causing it to overflow and make a big mess.
could you pm with pricing for a full front set of brake pads.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

guys, i took my car to a shop to get the brakes checked on how my right side was making noise, they corrected the problem and when i asked what had happened, they told me that my rotors needed to be cut and resurfaced, they look pretty cool right now and shiny, but were they supposed to do that?because they said u have to cut the rotors everytime you change the brakes..... i thought that was bs. and they charged me $80 for everything.