Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Brake Pedal Making Clicking Noises & Feels Loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM

I'm interested to hear how this went, since I guess I'll be doing mine myself too. Stupid dealers.

How much was the new switch?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jerry2334
I'm interested to hear how this went, since I guess I'll be doing mine myself too. Stupid dealers.

How much was the new switch?
I just looked it up at trdsparks.com
List price is $32.24, trdsparks is selling it for $25.79 so think around $30 from your local dealer.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, the one i got from the dealer was $32 with tax. hopefully i'll get a chance to swap it out this weekend. the heat here in tampa has been brutal.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any updates or info on the lateral play of the brake pedal? My pedal has the same amount of play as yours does.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM
SL Member

Bump, any updates on this? Anyone having the same problem? What was the culprit? Any solutions? I am having the same problem with my brake pedal!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM
SL Member

Those of you that changed your brake light switch, did you just hear the clicking or did u feel the clicking in the brake pedal as well? I don't just hear the clicking noise though I feel it coming from the pedal area. It doesn't happen everytime I step on the brakes but I would say about 60-70% of the time.

Those of you with clicking when you step on the brakes, did the clicking occur when you stepped on the brake and then again when you let your foot off the pedal? I hear a clicking noise when I step on the pedal and again when I release the pedal.

Help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontcmm
Those of you that changed your brake light switch, did you just hear the clicking or did u feel the clicking in the brake pedal as well? I don't just hear the clicking noise though I feel it coming from the pedal area. It doesn't happen everytime I step on the brakes but I would say about 60-70% of the time.

Those of you with clicking when you step on the brakes, did the clicking occur when you stepped on the brake and then again when you let your foot off the pedal? I hear a clicking noise when I step on the pedal and again when I release the pedal.

Help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
when my brake light switch was doing that, I felt a slight "tick" in the brake pedal as I would start to push it. I didn't hear the click til later when it got much louder to localize where it was coming from and I realized what was going on. You're right in it's kinda confusing until you realize what is clicking. I dont remember feeling it as I let off the brake pedal but I could see it happening as it gets progressively worse like mine did.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 AM
SL Member

This clicking that is caused from the brake light switch occurs even when your brake lights are still working?

Maybe something is loose with my pedal. Can your brake pedal actually get loose and cause a clicking/clunking noise when pressed?

The play in the pedal is also causing some noise when the brake pad is stepped on. It just feels very sloppy.

Could me needing rear brakes soon cause any of these issues? (I obviously don't know too much mechanical stuff about cars)

I am bringing the car in to the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation either end of this week or beginning of next so I will probably get my rear brakes done at the same time.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontcmm
This clicking that is caused from the brake light switch occurs even when your brake lights are still working?

Maybe something is loose with my pedal. Can your brake pedal actually get loose and cause a clicking/clunking noise when pressed?

The play in the pedal is also causing some noise when the brake pad is stepped on. It just feels very sloppy.

Could me needing rear brakes soon cause any of these issues? (I obviously don't know too much mechanical stuff about cars)

I am bringing the car in to the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation either end of this week or beginning of next so I will probably get my rear brakes done at the same time.
well i know that when the switch went bad it did make the pedal feel like there was play in it. It was the switch itself moving around where it was mounted plus the clicking was from the switch going bad and sticking. that was where my clicking was coming from. you should get someone to stick their head down there while you push on the brakes and let them locate the noise or you have someone push on the pedal and you can listen.. either way to be able to locate the noise.

clicking in the pedal wouldn't be because you need rear brakes. since the clicking is coming from inside the car not outside. its cool if you dont know mechanical stuff that's what forums are for, to ask questions.

oh and yes to your question about the brake lights. Mine were working as well but the plunger that's part of the brake light switch was binding causing the clicking. hope that helps.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
well i know that when the switch went bad it did make the pedal feel like there was play in it. It was the switch itself moving around where it was mounted plus the clicking was from the switch going bad and sticking. that was where my clicking was coming from. you should get someone to stick their head down there while you push on the brakes and let them locate the noise or you have someone push on the pedal and you can listen.. either way to be able to locate the noise.

clicking in the pedal wouldn't be because you need rear brakes. since the clicking is coming from inside the car not outside. its cool if you dont know mechanical stuff that's what forums are for, to ask questions.

oh and yes to your question about the brake lights. Mine were working as well but the plunger that's part of the brake light switch was binding causing the clicking. hope that helps.
Thank you very much for your responses sciontc_mich. I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions and help out a fellow tC owner. I will keep you posted and let you know what happens when I go into the dealership.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*bump* so what ended up happening for everyone with this brake pedal movement/click ??
Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
*bump* so what ended up happening for everyone with this brake pedal movement/click ??
07 5spd same problem.