Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Brakes/Tires when hot - vibration (UPDATED:see last post)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brakes/Tires when hot - vibration (UPDATED:see last post)

When the car is cold, the braking is smooth. After the car warms up (brakes/tires) the vibration shows up when braking medium to heavy pressure. Like when exiting the highway and stopping quickly. But slower speeds you don't feel the vibration in the brake pedal.

I've also noticed driving on the highway after about 40 minutes of driving (no braking) there is a vibration that shows up in the steering wheel.

Now my question - Is it the rotor causing the vibration ?

Or- Is it the tires causing the vibration?

I can't figure out which it would be.

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 08-06-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: UPDATED: SEE LAST POST
Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Both!
When braking, it's the rotors and when driving, it's the tires. Balance the tires and either resurface the rotors or do what MOST people on here do and replace them... :D
Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i thought it might just be one thing not both ;) Like was thinking that as the rotor rotate it was causing the imbalance.

Yeah if I had the $$$ I would definitely replace it right now!

But here's the other question about the tires, why as the tires get hot does the balance change? So if it does, shouldn't the tires be balance while their "hot" not cold?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you drive the air in the tires expand thus causing you do notice the imperfections in the roads a lot more... could be feathering cupping.. or both... alignment..(prolly unlikely).. what tires are they?? change rotors.. not too expensive... like 120 or something like that..
Old 04-11-2009, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

proxes4s is what I have right now.

i've heard about how other auto companies like nissan and honda both say to warm up the tire before balancing it. So Im wondering if there's something to that.

Alignment has been checked, it's good. No cupping or feathering (checked with my hand), also road imperfections, sure that part I can see where the road has a ripple to it.

This is no matter where I drive, within a 1/2 hour of constant driving the vibration shows up any speed faster than 50mph.

Changing the rotrs, sure if I can prove these are out of round. But turning them would probably cost as much as a new rotor?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude also try jacking the car up and seeing if you can turn the wheel without too much effort. I have some of the same symptoms and its from a frozen caliper piston that wont retract.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ thanks jamarr911, i will definitely do that, I think that it will move freely, but i'll check again just to be sure.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no prob, just hope that it will move freely and that itz not a caliper issue, because calipers arent that cheap. I was lucky by the grace of God to find a pair on ebay for $65 shipped. They were used but in very good condition, even came with pads and shims.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also am starting to see some signs of this mich...I just put the proxes on tho lol
Old 04-12-2009, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by indyTC
i also am starting to see some signs of this mich...I just put the proxes on tho lol
yeah im sorry i was recommending those proxes4's now.. seems as the mileage grows on these tires, they begin to vibrate. I don't think I'll be getting them again!

so you're seeing this vibration too, indyTC? Do you also have vibration when you're braking or just when driving? What speeds does the vibration happen?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamarr911
no prob, just hope that it will move freely and that itz not a caliper issue, because calipers arent that cheap. I was lucky by the grace of God to find a pair on ebay for $65 shipped. They were used but in very good condition, even came with pads and shims.
hey jamarr911, thanks yeah i did spin them today. But they did spin ok, just think there should've been more spinning motion than there was. Going to the dealer to have them check it out. Glad you mentioned that, I never would've thought of a defective caliper this early. Yeah that is a cheap price for you! Glad you got them. Mine would be covered under warranty.

Keep ya posted with what I find out.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it like vibration that has a "Air Raid horn" screaming too????

Cause I've been having an problem like this.

I've had ear clog for several months and couldn't hear anything except for loud sounds. Last weekend, I finally was able to hear again. This week, I noticed this problem with a vibration when braking. I figured its linked to having slotted/drilled rotors, improper enbedding TRD pads and STILL driving on winter tires when its starting to be an average temp of 45 degrees. Don't drill me about the tires; can't take them off until April 30th. You know; money!

Strange thing is I'm also getting a strange metal rattle in the dash-engine compartment but it started about two days ago? I was in accident with the car back in Jan?
Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
Is it like vibration that has a "Air Raid horn" screaming too????

Cause I've been having an problem like this.

I've had ear clog for several months and couldn't hear anything except for loud sounds. Last weekend, I finally was able to hear again. This week, I noticed this problem with a vibration when braking. I figured its linked to having slotted/drilled rotors, improper enbedding TRD pads and STILL driving on winter tires when its starting to be an average temp of 45 degrees. Don't drill me about the tires; can't take them off until April 30th. You know; money!

Strange thing is I'm also getting a strange metal rattle in the dash-engine compartment but it started about two days ago? I was in accident with the car back in Jan?
xpresscion - Yours screaming like that, is it a high pitched squeal? I had that before with brakes and all it needed was some anti-noise compound (like the consistency of toothpaste) applied to the backside of the pads/shims. did you put some of that on the pads? About the metal rattle in the dash/engine area, have no idea, but accidents cause strange things. Most of the time the impact of the accident loosens things up, might want to go into that area and see if all bolts/screws are tight.

the vibration i was getting is from getting into the brakes harder, not just routine braking. Like quick braking because of a sudden stop ahead. That's when my vibration comes into the brake pedal. I had the tires rebalanced and the vibration when driving (not just when braking) is still there
Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Higher the speeds-higher the squeal. Vibration is happening at every stop.

I'm praying its something silly like weather keeps changing to warm then back to cold. Car's not liking it too much. I figured I'll buy the tires & alignment. If its still doing it...I'll ask few people I know and take off the bumper & wheels. See what looks normal & unsafe. Go from there.

The metal rattling-
When I drove my car with the damage (Had no choice.) Car was idling rough almost to the point it wanted to stall. Someone on here stated one of the engine mounts are damaged. Sure enough one of them was damage. Body shop replaced it. To this day, it still idles rough but only on long stoplights & if the car isn't warmed yet. I'm thinking one of the engine mounts might of gotten loose...But one of my friends stated "Exhaust smoke is built up in the throttle. Just might need very good clean..." That's possible since the car did sit at the body shop for three weeks without starting every day when the car is used to be driven least 70 miles a day.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
The metal rattling-
When I drove my car with the damage (Had no choice.) Car was idling rough almost to the point it wanted to stall. Someone on here stated one of the engine mounts are damaged. Sure enough one of them was damage. Body shop replaced it. To this day, it still idles rough but only on long stoplights & if the car isn't warmed yet. I'm thinking one of the engine mounts might of gotten loose...But one of my friends stated "Exhaust smoke is built up in the throttle. Just might need very good clean..." That's possible since the car did sit at the body shop for three weeks without starting every day when the car is used to be driven least 70 miles a day.

this happend to me last night..I havent had my car for a month and i was sitting at a stoplight and it jumped from the normal to about 1500 to almost dead 0.. i was like crap..but after that it was fine..prolly just needs a bit of tune up :D

mich, the vibration only seems to exist when i am on highway and braking at highway speed. It would seem like a normal alignment problem, but i may give it a few miles to decide that out, seeing how they only have about 110 miles on them..I also got the squeaky strut and shock thing now that drives me bonkers.. haaha its like a little cricket..Looks like its time for some new shocks n struts..SO thats what i could be for me idk..looking to get some answers also.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="indyTC"]

this happend to me last night..I havent had my car for a month and i was sitting at a stoplight and it jumped from the normal to about 1500 to almost dead 0.. i was like crap..but after that it was fine..prolly just needs a bit of tune up :D

mich, the vibration only seems to exist when i am on highway and braking at highway speed. It would seem like a normal alignment problem, but i may give it a few miles to decide that out, seeing how they only have about 110 miles on them..I also got the squeaky strut and shock thing now that drives me bonkers.. haaha its like a little cricket..Looks like its time for some new shocks n struts..SO thats what i could be for me idk..looking to get some answers also.
indytc- you don't need a tune up, well you might but it's not the cause of that rpm fluctuation. The reason is you should check the drive by wire sensors on the gas pedal. There have been others that had this odd revving when stopped and no foot on the gas. It was those sensors that were bad.

yeah i've also had the alignment checked and adjusted didn't change anything with the vibration. You're having the same exact vibration as me! At highway speeds, could be driving or hitting the brakes doesn't matter the vibration is there. Doesn't happen until 60mph or faster. So yeah I'm thinking it's the tires now. Thanks for helping me with your proof!

I know another thing that the proxes4 did it vibrated up to about 200-300 miles then smoothed out on its own. That might do it for you too. Just later on like 12k-15k is when it comes back and doesnt go away. sigh.
Im sorry I ever recommended these to anyone, but didn't know this would happen later on. Oh well lessoned learned.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know whats funny? I actually bought these tires based on ur recommendation haahahhahhah.. I think they are ok for now..The only regret i have about my car is figuring out where this stupid cricket noise is coming from..it sounds like the rear and by going through passed threads it could be the struts, or the springs banging on something.... Have u ever had this problem?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CHECK YOUR CV BOOTS!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by indyTC
you know whats funny? I actually bought these tires based on ur recommendation haahahhahhah.. I think they are ok for now..The only regret i have about my car is figuring out where this stupid cricket noise is coming from..it sounds like the rear and by going through passed threads it could be the struts, or the springs banging on something.... Have u ever had this problem?
yeah indyTC i feel bad about recommending something that turned out to not be that great in the end. Sorry about that. Next time I'll wait til i'm done with the tires to recommend something

Maybe i'll go back and update all my old posts so that no one will have to go through the current vibrations i'm getting.

and the cricket noise? i only had one from the center stack/waterfall behind the radio door. that was fixed with some double sticky back tape that I read about here. But nothing from the suspension. I did have that on another car, stones had somehow gotten up into the spring perch area against the rubber stopper (at the top).
Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i fixed it and let me knock on wood right now...the cricket noise comes from the latch under the hood..The air gets under their and it reacts with the spring or something..I was messing around with the hood on accident and heard the noise..now i have fixed the prob...just a little loving care and presto...I may get a diy up on the matter..

I may end up going back to bridgestone if these dont work out. so far i like em and i hope the vibrating goes away...I havent even hit the normal break in yet so, once i do i will let you know back in this thread... :D

Quick Reply: Brakes/Tires when hot - vibration (UPDATED:see last post)