Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Can a TRD Suspension TC handle as well as a Honda si?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

coils
Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD coilovers, as far as I know, are Progress coilovers. I think you could get the Progress ones for less... How about H&R or Tein?

Btw, I think all this argument is useless, but my reason is that neither the tC nor the Si are race cars. So mod it however you like and be happy. And personally, I think a tC fully done up on TRD suspension parts can out handle a stock Si. Probably not by too much but still pretty good. Yea, the tC has the luxurious dead weight on the top but the body roll isn't as bad as some of you make it out to be. TRD springs aren't miraculous but they do kill a significant amount of body roll. Once you upgrade the struts and sways too, it's not too far fetched that, God forbid, the tC actually handles pretty well!

But honestly, I don't really care. The Si is ugly. If I wanted a track car, sure I'd prefer the Si over the tC but it'd be more correct to say I'd prefer most other sports cars to either of them.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
Originally Posted by 05FMtC
i personally have not driven a SI. but, when i had my trd shocks, springs, sway bar and strut bar. the car handled like a champ even on stockers.
Agreed. I have the complete list of TRD suspension and handling parts, and the car handles like a dream. It feels perfectly planted and perfectly in balance. When it was just stock, it felt floaty and unresponsive.
^^ I agree.

Oh yeah if you think about it. The SI is a modded EX from the factory. lol Just like TRD tC if a modded tC from the dealership. lol

After a few more runs down the drag strip, we nail the launch and click off a 7.2-second 0-to-60 time and a 15.1-second quarter-mile. Solid times that are identical to the numbers we ran in the Civic Si. With a limited-slip splitting up the torque, there's no doubt that the tC would be quicker, but as of right now, Scion doesn't offer one.
Well now TRD offer one.

I have one and I love it.

I'm not joining this internet argument. lol this TRD tC VS SI stuff is old. the both are kind of equal. get over it.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, this debate will NEVER end

Anyways, i agree with cessblood, TRD suspension tC vs Si is pretty much EVEN (although u might as well go aftermarket imo).

Don't buy into all that understating/overstating pricing which is just ridiculous. If anybody has done a REAL unbiased price comparison (www.kbb.com) they'd see a Civic DX costs nearly the same as a tC (less than $500 difference). "killerxromances" is known as an Si fanboy with a bias against tCs & a passion for "trying" to bash performance, so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R2D2

Anyways, i agree with cessblood, TRD suspension tC vs Si is pretty much EVEN (although u might as well go aftermarket imo).

Don't buy into all that understating/overstating pricing which is just ridiculous. If anybody has done a REAL unbiased price comparison (www.kbb.com) they'd see a Civic DX costs nearly the same as a tC (less than $500 difference). "killerxromances" is known as an Si fanboy with a bias against tCs & a passion for "trying" to bash performance, so I'll just leave it at that.

actually im not a si "fanboy". but its amusing how if you dont agree with the general population of tc owners on here, your instantly seen as a threat.

wah wah wah. you havent even talked to me in how long?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hate to say it i would go for the SI. if scion would of made the tc with out a glass roof lets say for the tuner model, i would pic that. just i love the look of the tc than the si just my 2cents
Old 03-05-2008, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well everyone..look at it this way

scion tc - costs about $16500(just an estimate on a newer one...ive seen some for much cheaper)...now the supercharger, sway/strut bars, coilovers, exhaust would end up costing about $20000 depending on the cost of installation.

honda civic si - costs roughly around $20000 (i personally have never seen one for cheaper with very low miles).. this basically comes with all the goodies except for a supercharger or turbo...

so lets look at it this way, if you want a quick car right off the bat with nice handling, then go with the SI...if you wunna have fun with your and build it up and customize it, then go with a tc...personally i liked the tc better because i knew the tc was such a fun car to build and i like the overall style better...

so thats that...it all depends how much money you will put into the cars...if you spend $20000 on a tc, it will probably be similar if not better than the SI
Old 03-05-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ u can't compare the price of a USED Si to a brand new tC.

It's fact that who ever has more money will have the potential for a better ride. $20K for an Si is simply out of the question, cuz u need to factor in taxes, licensing, etc.. Like i said in the previous posts.

FYI: Invoice price (which is basically unattainable unless ur a dealer) is OVER $20K. N i highly doubt Honda is gonna pay u to drive their car
Check it: http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewCars/Prici...35&YearId=2008
Old 03-05-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, which makes the scion a better choice
Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

X2
Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why pay more for a civic when you can spend 22000 on a tc and blow the ***** off of more than just a civic
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Drummer829
why pay more for a civic when you can spend 22000 on a tc and blow the ***** off of more than just a civic
pretty sure you meant 2200 or 2000 in mods.. and if thats the case..

you wont "blow the *****" off much of any car other than base models and other entry cars.

so uh, that was a pointless arguement..

if thats really how everyone is viewing this arguement, screw both cars and buy a 90's hatchback and invest the rest of the $18,000 give or take on the chasis, suspension, motor swap + mods, etc...

if you dont like that idea, there are plenty of rollas, mr2s, etc for cheap from the early 90s..

i mean hell, why buy any car thats more expensive than the tC if your thinking that way. I mean why spend $60k on any given car when you can invest the $33k in the tC and make it faster...

this debate is old, and honda vs toyota will never end just like ford vs chevy or any other rivals..

advantages and disadvantages no matter which side your on..
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but im just saying if you bought a new tc and spent the extra $6000 to mod it, totalling aboutt $22000...that doing that would be better than a stock si which costs $22000...all im saying is the tc is a more fun car to mod and altogether when both cars have the same amount of money put into them, i believe the tc would ride better. im not talkikng about other cars, im talking strictly about the si and the tc
Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but im just saying if you bought a new tc and spent the extra $6000 to mod it, totalling aboutt $22000...that doing that would be better than a stock si which costs $22000...all im saying is the tc is a more fun car to mod and altogether when both cars have the same amount of money put into them, i believe the tc would ride better. im not talkikng about other cars, im talking strictly about the si and the tc
"The tc is more fun car to mod" is strictly opinion, which of course this would be a shared community opinion im sure since this IS a scion website. lol.

the tC would ride better meaning? Too many factors go into that statement. If both cars have 10k invested, but ones for style and comfort and the other is for speed, whoever has the style and comfort will ride "better" on the street in terms of being able to live with it daily....so that statement really isnt even...anything lol...

stock for stock, si wins..
cash for cash, si wins..

this is strictly trd tc vs stock si, not if you dump this into that..

with s/c, lsd, coilovers, better tires..yeah, i can see the tC beating a stock si around the track.

with just springs and sc, im calling bs. i've seen quite a few tcs in autocross and mountain runs with trd springs and they are still all over the place with body roll. yeah, not as bad but definitely not "okay" either.. of course there are those that will always say, all those drivers must of sucked. well, show me on the track with yours and ill shut up!

again, this will go round and round until the death of time.

meanwhile, people with pure sports cars are telling both parties to buy a real car.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
stock for stock, si wins..
cash for cash, si wins..
Again Honda Fanboy @ work AGAIN......

stock versus stock = tC versus Civic DX (NOT Si.)(get ur facts straight. I repeat goto kelly blue book and check YOUR PRICE FACT COMPARISONS)

cash for cash = TRD tC versus Si (or aftermarket modded tC)
(Fact check here: http://www.kbb.com/kbb/CompareCars/R...=196249-223789)

BOTH CASES tC WOULD WIN! END OF STORY
Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ook, let me clear this up...
all im saying is if you spent as much money as a basic civic si ($22000ish)...the tc would win...stock vs stock of coruse the si would win, but im just saying if you did spend altogether $22000 on a tc including mods, i believe the tc would beat the SI in most or all aspects
Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, but $22K is not likely.. Si after taxes is closer to $23K, and the tC $19K+/-.

It's already been proven bolt-ons for the tC overtakes an Si.
i/h/e/tires is nearly about even already (for 1/4 mi), but that rests purely on a good driver.

Just to defeat ridiculous statements I am certain will appear..... it's BS that an Si goes for = or <$21K.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stock versus stock = tC versus Civic DX (NOT Si.)(get ur facts straight. I repeat goto kelly blue book and check YOUR PRICE FACT COMPARISONS)

cash for cash = TRD tC versus Si (or aftermarket modded tC)

BOTH CASES tC WOULD WIN! END OF STORY
I agree

Yo I'm not a fanboy but R2D2 is right. you will have to compare the tC with the civic DX or EX. When you compare the Si(which is a factory modded civic DX/EX) to a scion you will have to compare with the full TRD option tC(which is dealer modded tC). The TRD tC might be quicker, Well anyway Both cars are equal. it could come down to driver error to see the winner of the race.

To say cash for cash this car is better or this car is not. is kind of f-ing dumb. cash for cash it could go both ways. it all depends how well you build and tune your car. With a enough my money you can do anything with a car. Fanboys need to get over it. TRD tC is equal to the Si. Both side wins, now get over it.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup yup, thats how it is...so until scion comes out with a factory modded TRD tc, we will never know...but my friend has an SI, and im gonna make my tc beat his SI =)....only for you honda haters
Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great thread!

My friend got an si, not really impressed.....

Quick Reply: Can a TRD Suspension TC handle as well as a Honda si?