Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Clunk driving me crazy - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Clunk driving me crazy - HELP!

I'm having a "clunking" issue with my tC. I have been working on this for a long time now and not even the dealer can help me (even though they recognize that there's a problem.

I just spent the past 2 hours outside analyzing my tC from top to bottom and front to back. I jacked up everything and checked, rechecked, and checked again all of the bolts underneath the car having to do with the suspension, and all of the bolts having to do with the strut and strut bar under the hood. I then took it for a test drive, and the problem is still there, but I think I may have located it a little bit better.

The problem happens when i'm doing lets say 3K in 2nd gear for example and then I smack the gas hard and very suddenly. When I do that, it happens EVERY time and it definitely is coming from the front driver side. It almost sounds like it is coming from underneath the gas pedal...any ideas?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you check the bolts in the endlinks holding the sway bar? Not the strut bar, the sway bar (under the car).

Also- if you have an aftermarket CAI, you might want to make sure that its bolted down tight and not moving around.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yep, I checked the sway bars, both of em (I have a trd rear and stock front). Although I have no aftermarket CAI. Stock airbox!

hmm... I just can't understand why it clunks right when I hit the gas pedal. NEVER when i'm braking, no matter what, even if I slam them!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same here, check the sway bar....
Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I checked em and they seem fine...I couldn't tighten it anymore with my breaker bar...the ends to those sways bars are on tight...any other suggestions?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sound like it could be a blown strut, but it seems like it would clunk when braking as well. I vote checking the struts out.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Its funny that you say that. When I went to the dealer, they said my REAR struts are blown and they are going to replace them under warranty (they have to order the parts and i'll bring it back). But that doesn't explain the front...

The rears must have been defective, thats why they are replacing them for free...i'm only on a TRD drop.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah then it is definitely the struts, sounds can be deceiving inside the vehicle, I would put money on that.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It just might be the struts. To use a word better than clunk, I should have used the word KNOCK. Its a fairly faint knock. I took my stepdad for a ride, he said that is sounds like its just behind the firewall or the console. Almost as though there is something loose that swings back and hits when I "jerk" accelerate. Maybe that would help stimulate some ideas?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm.. did u check the center nut on the strut? coz i had a clunk too.. nd i found that the center strut nut was loose.. its the one nut on top of the strut that's covered by a rubber thingy.. lol!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

nobody's going to mention it? nobody?

let's think what happens here.... accelerate with a sudden jerk, hear a knock/bang

when you accelerate, weight transfers to the rear, but snap acceleration can't transfer the weight that quickly.

The front shocks don't do anything when you accelerate except sit there.

The front sway bar doesn't do anything but sit there.

Where am I going with all this? check your engine mounts.

Also, you could be experiencing "wheel hop" where the engine moves enough from instant torque that it affects the front suspension, causing it to literally lift the tires off the ground for a split second, and when they regain traction, it causes a "bang" or "shock" through the front suspension.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I don't think it would be the engine mounts, but I also don't know how to check that. I've not done any engine work though that would involve loosening anything.

As for the wheel hop, that is definitely a possibility as I am on stock crap tires that are basically shot anyway (putting new tires on next week hopefully). If that sudden torque on the front suspension is what is causing the loud knock, is that harmful? I mean, it is clearly not metal hitting metal and doesn't sound like a destructive sound. My stepdad offered that it could be the front suspension or the rack and pinion system having an issue.

But Otocan, if what you said is right (about the wheel hop), is that harmful to the car?

If there happens to be any info around on checking the engine mounts, i'll be glad to do that as well - otherwise it's back to the dealer!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhmm... i still got my money on that center nut on the top strut on the driver side.. wouldnt wheel hop sound more like a muffled slap?

o nd engine mounts u could check by pulling the parkin brake then put ur car in gear or D then slowly add gas nd watch engine movement.. nd do same wid reverse.... this is accMplished wid 2 people!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'll check the top strut again hopefully this weekend and let you know, i'll torque the daylights out it and we'll see what happens!
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol! that's exactly what i did to mine! i did it on both sides lol! but b careful not to strip thu threads! but yea wen i torqued mine it was so loose there was barely ne tension! like the nut was pretty much flush wid the strut!
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol! that's exactly what i did to mine! i did it on both sides lol! but b careful not to strip thu threads! but yea wen i torqued mine it was so loose there was barely ne tension! like the nut was pretty much flush wid the strut!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ah, mine isn't like that. When I tried before, I couldn't even get either one to budge. Now i'm not a big guy or anything, but I was using a breaker bar with an extension and it wouldn't move. I don't have the tools to get to tighten that nut without removing the wiper cowl. Anyway, when you take it off, you can really get a lot of torque on that bolt. I just hate those damn clips that hold the wiper cowl and the rubber piece down, i've broken almost ALL of them now!!! lol Maybe i'll try again this weekend though!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait, u couldnt move it b4?? was the socket at an angle... it mite be a good idea to tighten it that much...but yea try takin just the clips on the left side off then lift it until u could get a siocket nd an extension...

wait how much thread was showin wen u saw it??
Old 11-03-2006, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ i meant it's not a good idea to tighten them that much if they wont move in the first place neway... lol! if thats the case... im very sorry... i dont know wats wrong...
Old 11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea, I mean, the right and the left side looked the same and I couldn't tighten either one...i'm taking it to the dealership probably next weekend just b/c I don't have time to do it this weekend as i'm installing an eclipse avn unit. I'll post again soon and let you all know what it is, but if there are any more ideas, please let me know as I want to avoid the dealer at all costs!

Quick Reply: Clunk driving me crazy - HELP!