Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Clunky suspension... help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clunky suspension... help diagnose

Well, it's been a few months now that I've had a chunky noise coming from the rear when I hit bumps. It's is hard to describe. Kind of a deep annoying sound. I figured it was my struts, but there doesn't seem to be any extra bounce or a bad ride... just a bad noise.

I felt like it was coming from the back left, so I rechecked the center bolt on top of the strut, making sure it was tight... no problem. Perhaps it is the right strut and I'm just being tricked by the sound?

Anyhow, I took it to the suspension shop that put the springs on, and had them check it out. They told me that visibly, they felt like my sway bar end links were bad. They suggested I get them replaced before the struts since it's much cheaper. Unfortunately, after calling Progress for new end links, I found out that they were $70. Just a bit cheper than Dezod's end links. I didn't want to waste the money, so I took off the end links, inspected them and regreased the bearings. They seem perfectly fine if you ask me. The actual links are rusty, but the bearing turn freely. So could this actually be the problem? I greased the bushings while I was at it too.

Anyhow, anybody that has some advice or who has had a similar problem, PLEASE chime in. I've loved my car from day 1, but seriously, the rattles really are a downer.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know when i was changing my springs the mechanic told me that toyota left out this rubber piece so it will make a sound because its scraping metal to metal the ride wouldnt be different but u might here a sound. i got it taken care of but it might be the problem you have
Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I don't think that is the case though, because I had my springs on for at least a summer before the noise started. How come there isn't away to know for sure if the strut is bad before it is replaced? I didn't notice any oil around them either...
Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After installing my springs I had a clang from the rear when hitting a dip with a full load in the car (gasoline, passengers, work gear). It only happens in my driveway (I manage to avoid most big dips while driving) and while I've got heavy things like passengers. Oddly enough, when I switched from OEM tires to 225/45 17 rt615s, I didn't have the same clanging. As for bad struts, bounce the corner with your weight and see if it keeps bouncing around. If so your strut might be ready for replacing.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with lowering springs it better to get aftermarket struts cause they last longer
Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) Check that the end links are installed properly, particularly that they're tightened all the way down. To do this, use an allen wrench stuck INTO the bolt to keep it from rotating, and then tighten the nut.

2) Do you have an aftermarket sway bar? Whether you do or don't, might be good to check the bushings between the sway bar and the frame. Locate where the sway transverses across the car, and the bushings are little rubber pieces that secure it to the frame, yet allow it to rotate freely.

--- Also check integrity of the bar. Very small chance it's snapped. It's happened, oddly.

3) As odd as it sounds, try removing all of the stuff behind the rear passenger seats, and drive around a bit with nothing back there. Try to illicit the noise.

The reason I ask you to do this, is because it might be as simple as your spare is loose and clanging around. Stiffer suspension imparts more energy to the interior components.

4) Is the retaining bolt to the strut tight? This is the bolt at the bottom of the strut, connecting it to the lower A-arm. Also check for any bends, since potholes can do that.

Hopefully you can find it with one of the above... if not, I'm stumped... what suspension setup are you on?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

/\/\/\/\/\

He is right. My "Bang" was the spare banging around. A little old blanket action and
poof be gone to the noise.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your rear sway bar bushings. if the insides are worn down a lot, the sway will have excessive play in the bushings (wont be a snug fit) causing the bar to move around up and down inside the bushings when going over bumps. the bar will slam against the upper inner part of the bushing and transfer the force to the bracket causing that clunk sound.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. My suspension is stock shocks, H-techs, and Progress sway bar. The shocks will definitely be replaced at some point, but I'd like to wear them out first. There is no bounce by pushing down on the corner of the car. The endlinks are all very tight and the bushings are regreased. Although rusty looking, the bearings in the end links move freely and normally.

I will check the spare and other possible things in the back. Keep the suggestions coming and thank you again!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everything is tight in the trunk... any help? bump
Old 05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My clang seems to have gone away when I installed Hotchkis sways (front and rear). They're set to hardest right now. The only thing I can think of is I've loosened and retightened the links and retorqued everything to spec involved in the swap.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

This clunk...does it only occur when you drive over a bump? When you are turning? Be VERY specific.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i first installed my lowering springs i had a clunking noise as well and it was annoying as shizz but i took it to my mechanic and he just said the bolt to my sway bar was loose and he tightened it and it fixed the problem.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The clunk is ONLY when hitting a bump. A tough bend just won't do it. It's hard to reproduce the sound without driving, but it is immediately noticeable as soon as you start. I paid the suspension shop $15 bucks so that they could tell me it was the sway bar, but I'm really convinced it's not. Right? I think I might just take it to a different mechanic unless I can get some more suggestions here. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I have the same problem in my 06. It does not take a huge bump to make the sound, it kinda sounds like the spring is 1/4 inch too small and it clunks on every bump, but it is not. Everything is tight. Some days it is bad others it is not so bad. I wish I knew what it was too. I don't think it is a serious problem but just another noise coming from the car.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Did you cut and re-install the bumpstops when you put the damper assemblies back together?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

man all this time I thought it was just me...
Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
Did you cut and re-install the bumpstops when you put the damper assemblies back together?
I didn't actually do this install, but I did take it to a reputable suspension shop. The sound definitely wasn't always there for let's say 15K miles after the install. And as with any car sound, it is hard to tell, but seems to be coming from both back shocks now. hmmm....
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same problem. Mine is sort of a creaking noise. It sounds like a race car with a full cage and no interior...except it's a street car. My car has been up on many lifts and no one can figure it out. I've had the suspension completely taken apart and put back in...still happens.

The car still drives and handles soundly, so I've just learned to ignore it via the stereo.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just lowered my car today with s techs and tokico blues and now that its back on the ground its creaking as well? Im positive all the bolts were tightened down so is this just normal while its all working itself in?

Quick Reply: Clunky suspension... help diagnose