Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Clunky suspension... help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've had the same noise/problem for the past 3 days. in my case, the rear shocks are blown.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thekevin
i've had the same noise/problem for the past 3 days. in my case, the rear shocks are blown.
sure they are blown? is there an easy way to tell for sure? I'm still suspiciuos that mine are blown, especially because the sound came after 9 months of driving lowered. Guess I'll upgrade at some point, but isn't it like $400 just for the install?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the endlinks, sway bar and bushings seem fine. when i stood on the rear bumper and made my car go up and down, i can hear the popping that i hear while im driving. plus, it was pretty easy to make the rear go up and down
Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same issue but my car is completely stock suspension wise. The sound is more of a creaking sound when I go over speed-bumps or making a turn into an incline (like a driveway).

Maroone Scion in Weston FL has been looking into it and couldn't figure it out. They've retorque all bolts to spec and even regreased the bushings. The noise is still there so they've opened a case with Toyota to have an engineer come in. They didn't want to start swapping out parts without knowing exactly what part is making the noise.

The car was purchased used at around 16k miles - it now has a little over 30k. Like I said earlier the suspension is stock. The noise had just started about 6k miles ago - the same time I had my rear parking brake adjusted. It could be coincidence however.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine started as a little "click" noise way back when my car had stock suspension. It's just gotten more noisy over time, and like you above ^^^^ no one can figure it out. Maybe it's a fundamental flaw in the design of the tC's suspension...seems to be happening to a lot of tCs, stock and otherwise.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

Toyota has given Maroone Scion in Weston permission to swap out whatever parts necessary. They'll be taking my car in on Friday and have it for a couple of days. Hopefully this can get resolved.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How many of you with suspension noise in the back have compressed the springs, put the appropriate sized socket in a vice grip to hold onto the strut bolt, and stuck a hex wrench through the socket to turn the strut rod, making sure the strut bolt is COMPLETELY tight?

...try that.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman
How many of you with suspension noise in the back have compressed the springs, put the appropriate sized socket in a vice grip to hold onto the strut bolt, and stuck a hex wrench through the socket to turn the strut rod, making sure the strut bolt is COMPLETELY tight?

...try that.
Uhm...I do that at least once a day. J/k...I'm too lazy for that. Someone else do it, and tell us what happens.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
I have the same issue but my car is completely stock suspension wise. The sound is more of a creaking sound when I go over speed-bumps or making a turn into an incline (like a driveway).

Maroone Scion in Weston FL has been looking into it and couldn't figure it out. They've retorque all bolts to spec and even regreased the bushings. The noise is still there so they've opened a case with Toyota to have an engineer come in. They didn't want to start swapping out parts without knowing exactly what part is making the noise.

The car was purchased used at around 16k miles - it now has a little over 30k. Like I said earlier the suspension is stock. The noise had just started about 6k miles ago - the same time I had my rear parking brake adjusted. It could be coincidence however.
hahaa maroone scion, they tried to f*ck me over on my tc when buying it new. Lipton scion FTW!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ ok.. why is someone trying to start a dealership war??

All dealerships try to get the most out of you. It's the business. However I can't complain about their service department at all. They've done nothing but the right things in helping me. Lehman Toyota tried to screw me because it seems like the previous owner had modded this car before.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman

...try that.
Would you need a spring compressor for this? Please explain a little bit better only because I don't know all of the nomenclature... If this was the problem, would it be one that would arise after so much time, or would I have noticed it first thing after a spring install...

Btw, I can't seem to reproduce the sound by bouncing on the trunk, but maybe by pushing up really hard on a wheel with a breaker bar... well see
Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would have noticed it first thing. But I noticed this is stock shocks, which do not have locking bolts on the struts, which means they could have backed off. Basically, if you're just tightening the strut bolt by hand inside the car, you'd think it's as snug as it's going to get. However, if it's not, when you hit a bump, the strut is going to shift upwards and knock on the mount. You can't reproduce this by bouncing the car because you can't generate the sudden impact of a road defect.

You'd use a spring compressor to not have to fight against the spring when you attempt to tighten it. If you try to use a tiny hex/allen wrench to turn it with the spring putting pressure on it, you're going to bend many hex/allen wrenches. You'd lift the car, put it on stands, take the wheel off, compress the spring, jack the suspension up with a jack under the hub, hop inside the car and tighten the bolt with an hex/allen wrench and a socket.

It's hard to convey in texts, but its a very simple concept. I wish I had pictures, but unfortunately no tC to take pictures of.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im getting a clunking noise from my front end when i go over bumps and i can hear it when going slowly pulling into parking lots and what not.......i can feel a knock when it happens too under my feet from inside the car......Maybe CV joint maybe not...if anyone has anymore input it would be awesome
Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boomshakadae
man all this time I thought it was just me...
x2

i have the hotchkis sways and greddy strut bars and i'm getting a clunking noise too when i go over bumps. i've ripped out the carpeting in the trunk so many times to try and find the problem and came up short every time.

just turn the music up and you'll be fine.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My promblem turned out to be the Progress endlinks... I ordered new ones from Dezod and it fixed everything... GL
Old 04-05-2009, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had that same problem in mt car. it only happens in the winter or when its cold out so I took it into my local scion dealer and one of my struts was bad. It was the bushings and everything so maybe take it in and have them look at it. Warrant covered mine. Like I said it was only when i hit a bump or something in the cold.