Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Coilovers... the proper way.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It's not a mild drop, it's an optimal one. You can only take a tC so low before the suspension geometry starts working against you-- and the point of diminishing returns comes on pretty quickly.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
It's not a mild drop, it's an optimal one. You can only take a tC so low before the suspension geometry starts working against you-- and the point of diminishing returns comes on pretty quickly.
its mild compared to what ive seen around here most tcs are runnin 2.0" optimal if ur auto xing i guess its good to have everything corner balanced and stuff but 1.2" isnt exactly tuckin and i guess thats what im comparing too idk i guess id need to see some pics to decide whether its mild or wild lol im not trying to offend or start one of these tc forum arguments.. ive just seen many a sexy tc dropped 2.0 on stechs
Old 11-28-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My drop isn't about looks-- it's about works. No offense taken-- most folks think the "best" drop is the one that looks the best-- and that's really not the case.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

completley understand what u mean.. but really thats a matter of opinion as usual.. i guess the owner can decide whats "best" for whatever they are going for..

other than that i am jealous of ur fancy setup
Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yep, the 2 inch drop is terrible for handling all the way around. And to make it worse, a lot of those springs have spring rates that are WAY too low for the drop to attempt at a smoother ride.. again, a terrible setup. It is interesting to see someone on S-techs autox... then get rid of those springs asap for a trd like drop so the car actually handles well I wouldnt even think about dropping mine more than docs, as I care about handling too much.

Probably 90% or more of people who drop their cars damage its handling by going too low, not stiff enough, etc.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah thats what im saying there are different bests for different situations like i said in an earlier post this set up good for auto xing.. s techs look hot in the street and everyone who is dropped on s techs will say the tc handles better than at stock ride height and im sure it handles like a champ on coilovers so really im just agreeing with everyone
Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have never heard anyone that has truly pushed the car (unless they just dont want to admit a bad choice) say the car handles better on s-techs. It hits the bump stops under even mildly hard cornering, it handles like a box of crap on stechs under any sort of hard driving. The thing is that most people who think they know how their car handles have never really pushed it. Taking some fast turns on the street every now and then tells them nothing, yet they think it handles better because it is lower. Until you really take it out and flog it you have no idea what it does. The very first thing I have heard people say after really driving it hard on s-techs is "it was bouncy as hell.. riding on the bump stops in the corners" . And it is no surprise since the stechs need to be about 3 times as stiff as they are for the drop they provide. There is a whole thread on yoursciontc.com with the rates and drops listed.. it becomes very apparent how poorly designed most of these springs are by looking at that.

Now, I do agree with you that for some, looks are all that matters since they basically drive back and forth to work. If they like the slammed look (I personally dont at all) and dont care about handling at all, then I guess the stechs are good for them. But in no way should s-techs and better handling be used in the same sentence

Not bashing your posts, just providing more info.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

nice balancing. and like someone above said, love the shift **** lol always something original from the Doc.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Which reminds me... Ben says he is getting a hold of you doc about the bumper. Hit me up on email about the parts you need of it and I will work out how to ship it.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

So jealous.......wish I had scales available to work with.Very nice......bet it will handle great at the track now.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Can you take me through the process of corner-balancing? I am not sure what is being adjusted. I guess once you get the ride height set and the alignment settings in order, you can start playing with the damper levels? Is that what is being adjusted to be read off of the scales or is it something else?

I am very interested in this as I want to try my hand at auto-x come Spring; and I just so happen to have coilovers sitting in the garage.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

As you could see on the scale readout, every wheel has a different amount of weight on it. So corner balancing is the simple (or not so simple) process of tweaking the spring preload at each corner until the car has a perfect 50% crossweight. This is with the swaybars disconnected.

Once the cross is right, hook up the sways one at a time and see if anything gets thrown out of whack. The rear bar was neutral at my modest drop, but the front had about 60lbs of loading on it. We fabbed up beefy, NASCAR-sized endlinks out of 1/2-20 Heims, bungs, 1" steel tube, and Grade 10.9 hardware. It was a very minor tweak-- the passenger side link is about 3/16" shorter than the driver's side.

Once I get my memory to put everything in order, I can update the top post with a basic checklist for corner balancing.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey where can i locate scales and all to do this....im pretty slammed now(mostly for looks) but i want to be able to adjust it to optimum when i want to auto-x...

also what is the formula for cross weight? like RR+FL=1/2 car weight?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

there are several sites about corner balancing on the internet.....some of it is hard to understand.I am still trying to figure it all out myself,butit makes a big differance on the track.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:08 AM

Default nice!

Super clean install and setup!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Front endlinks.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^ Howd you get those ? Custom Fab ?
Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

He tells in his posts above
Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
As you could see on the scale readout, every wheel has a different amount of weight on it. So corner balancing is the simple (or not so simple) process of tweaking the spring preload at each corner until the car has a perfect 50% crossweight. This is with the swaybars disconnected.

Once the cross is right, hook up the sways one at a time and see if anything gets thrown out of whack. The rear bar was neutral at my modest drop, but the front had about 60lbs of loading on it. We fabbed up beefy, NASCAR-sized endlinks out of 1/2-20 Heims, bungs, 1" steel tube, and Grade 10.9 hardware. It was a very minor tweak-- the passenger side link is about 3/16" shorter than the driver's side.

Once I get my memory to put everything in order, I can update the top post with a basic checklist for corner balancing.
I see. So in essence you are spring loading each corner accordingly to meet your ride height goal and to also get the magic balance number of 50%. Sounds like it can get tedious. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching*

Quick Reply: Coilovers... the proper way.