Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Coilovers... the proper way.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That is correct big al. And as in any alignment, suspension setup, ballast should be used to simulate driver weight.. unless you want to sit in the car for hours while someone else does it

Corner balancing helps to ensure you have proper weight distibution, or as good as it can get for your car.

Ride height plays a lot with suspension geometry. There is the obvious part, which is lowering the center of gravity. A lot of people think this is the sole effect, which makes them feel that lower is better. Besides that, changing ride height changes the way the suspension is sitting and the associated angles. These angles play together to form a roll couple. Roll couple represents the effect of the lever arm between the center of gravity and the roll center, which is the actual center of rotation for what you feel as body roll. Over-lowering can actually increase the roll couple in many situations due to the way it affects the geometry of the car. It also has a general effect on how all the parts play together. So this is why so many of us preach about not over-lowering the car.

Then there are polar moments... but for this conversation, we wont go there But it all isnt that confusing once you think about it for a while. Calculating the roll couple, roll center, CG, etc, is not so easy, but enough people have played around with it on the tC to give us a general idea of where the optimum ride height resides. And if Rick would send me his sketches of the geometry he made.. I would be in real debt to him :D
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so uhhhh doc....interested in getting paid to do this on other tc's?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
Front endlinks.

I spy Dezod brake lines!

My drop isn't about looks-- it's about works. No offense taken-- most folks think the "best" drop is the one that looks the best-- and that's really not the case.
I've been waiting on you to do a suspension related post. Would you have any profile pictures of the car just to check the ride height? I also run the SSp's but after my initial lowering I have progressively been raising the height but I'm afraid to lose some camber in the front if i raise it up too much.

On a side note, I never realized just how heavy our cars are. I always guess that with a driver and a full tank we might be tipping 3000lbs. But 3300lbs is just mind blowing. It really makes me think twice about removing my rear seats and putting the car on a diet.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's the roof.....all glass ftl :\

not only that but it puts weight at the top of the car instead of lower to the ground...
Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The glass roof does add weight to the highest part of the car.. but while most assume it is a huge amount, the entire assembly weighs about 70 lbs. Not near what most think. And as far as rigidity, it is excellent. The tC has one of the strongest roof structures on the market, and is one of the few that would pass the new proposed roof crush standard.

So while it puts a bit of weight north of the CG, which isnt so great, it is not killing us in any way. This car can handle very nicely with a bit of suspension tuning.

My car sitting on a certified truck scale, with my laptop bag inside and no driver:

Those scales are state certifed and round to the next higher 20 lb increment, meaning it weighed in between 2900 and 2920. Of course, I dont have a lot of extra sound system equipment, added sound deadening, etc, so mine reflects what a stock tC (5 spd) should weigh.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah, my sub box alone is 62lbs. Just by taking out me and the subs, the car weighed 3008. Take away my significant amount of sound deadening, amps and other speakers, TV headrests, splitter and spoiler, etc, etc... I'd be even lighter than engifineers.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by dp-_-
I was about to say the same thing lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soulquarian
Originally Posted by dp-_-
I was about to say the same thing lol.
come on doc we need an answer!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Ahem... Bumpage for Dr.'s response?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Corner balancing is a ton of work haha. But props to you Doc for doing it yourself. I would of taken my car to someone haha
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Coilovers... the proper way.

[/quote]

I noticed somebody said in a very sarcastic way "nice shift" or something..
anyways, this is very nice for a race setup, it's close to the wheel, and I like the "dogbone" style it has, looks comfy. Dr Isotope, do you make/sell this? I didn't see it on your website.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've sold a handful of LazyBoys on request, there are about half a dozen of them out in the world now. Not a regular sale item, they're pretty labor intensive to make, and the demand isn't very high-- it's a specialty piece, to be sure.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've sold a handful of LazyBoys on request, there are about half a dozen of them out in the world now. Not a regular sale item, they're pretty labor intensive to make, and the demand isn't very high-- it's a specialty piece, to be sure.
I bet it is, very good work tho! Well, if you ever make some more let me know, a know a very few people that MIGHT be interested, including me if whenever I get my car back.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Coilovers... the proper way.

New house for the EDFC:
Very Nice!

Are you planning on making the plate/panel for the EDFC? If so I might want to get one when I get the EDFC controller for my SS-P's
Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cracker_tC
I bet it is, very good work tho! Well, if you ever make some more let me know, a know a very few people that MIGHT be interested, including me if whenever I get my car back.
I have one, I bought one about a year ago and I love it. I've done plenty of Auto X's and dozens of spirited drives and with the provided shifter bushings it just feels so solid and crisp. Thumbs up from me.

And thanks Doc for posting the pic, I can say mine is that height. It is actually much lower all around. I really wish you lived closer so I could ride in your car to get a better feel to try and feel a difference.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM

cooooool
Old 03-13-2009, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump this damn thing up!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

truly amazing!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Nice to see a tC owner put performance ahead of looks. Kudos.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doc did it right!! So clean..I've seen it in person.

Quick Reply: Coilovers... the proper way.