Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Cut Stock Springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Default Cut Stock Springs ?

I'm pretty sure this has been talked about before. but its a new year. and more and more people join this site everyday.

So my question is. Who has cut their stock springs. Yea I'm going to go and do this pretty soon. I like the ones I have on right now. but I want my front to sit a bit lower.

I also know a lot of people out there say don't do this its not safe. you will get bad right quality and so on. but I don't need to hear this right now. but if you want to talk about it on here feel free to do so. but keep it polite.

so let talk about it. Who has done it. who is thinking about doing it ? Who want to know how to do it.?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please dont do it! You gave reasons yourself. Buy springs or coilovers.

DO NOT cut your springs. Just trust everyone when they say dont.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why are you trying to kill yourself or others? Don't be stupid.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope its a joke... if not, wtf? dont be cheap, be safe n do it right
Old 01-03-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya i mean i know you dont want to hear it but you obviously need to hear it...The cost of lowering springs is nothing compared to the safety and ride your going to get by cutting springs....

Dont be ignorant...This forum is here for a reason to gather information, knowledge and build a community and we are just trying to look out for you when we say dont do it...

and if money is an issue thats what piggy banks are for soooo start saving..
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

no its not a joke. I have cut springs before. it won't be my first car with them. If cut in the correct spot and using the proper shocks and struts it not dangerous like everyone thinks. On the celica that is on my profile I had cut springs on for about 2 years which lasted about 80k miles. in all types of weather and messed up roads. only problem I had was bottoming out on my friends drive way,

I will have to take about 2 -4 hours to adjust my alignment. but I'm not worried about this.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy Springs man your going through all the trouble of doing this, just shell out the couple hundred bucks save your self the headache
Old 01-03-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I have lowering springs on my tC right now. But I have another questions for everyone that is telling me not to do it. ( I understand why you are telling me not to, if done wrong it can be a super unsafe ride) . so my question is how many of you have cut springs before ? and how many of you have road in a car that had cut springs ? and please be honest and how many of you are just re posting what you have read other people write on this and other forums ?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly my buddy had a 1st gen XB that he cut the springs and it was hell, so bouncy and all over the place, and this is being honest....It was long after until he decided to get real lowering springs...

What springs do you have on now? How low do you want to go?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Originally Posted by SVicksTC
Honestly my buddy had a 1st gen XB that he cut the springs and it was hell, so bouncy and all over the place, and this is being honest....It was long after until he decided to get real lowering springs...

What springs do you have on now? How low do you want to go?
did he change the shocks with some adjustable ones to adjust for the lower spring rate of the stock springs ? how did your friend go about cutting the springs ?

right now I have DZ Sports springs. I'm pretty sure most people on here don't have or heard about this springs. (but I could be wrong ) I have had them on my car for a year now maybe longer. and yes I got them off of ebay. everyone on this site was telling me not to get them. but they have turned out great for me. they handle great, I have put about 20K miles on them with no problems so far. I did the install my self. ( I don't trust anyone else touching my suspension )

I don't want to go any lower then I am now. In fact i want to going up half and inch in the back and down about 1/2 inch in the front. I want to redo my whole suspension this spring. shocks springs , bars . bushings . tires.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

dont be dumb and cheap, get some springs.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
dont be dumb and cheap, get some springs.
I have springs already and thank you for calling me dumb. I must be a super dumb person with all the times I have done this before.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It is HORRIBLE for handling, period. Safety or not, I am not sure why you would want to go to all that trouble to kill the handling of the car when you could just spend a relatively small amount of money and buy lowering springs. When you lower, you increase spring rate significantly to compensate. You are not doing this when cutting springs.

Those that have autox'd on stechs (too low and WAY too soft for the drop) can vouch for having too much drop and not enough rate (trds have higher rates and much less drop than stech.. and handle better) . you are on the bump stops in every hard corner. Cutting springs is this example to the extreme and then some handling wise.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why redo your whole suspension setup half ___....I hope you dont think im coming off like a douche in all of this but if your redoing your whole suspension struts, sways, bushings.....WHY CHEAP OUT? I dont see the point in sacrificing the quality in the springs if your going to redo your whole suspension

And as for my buddy who did it on his 1st gen then switched i dont know how he did it because i didnt want anything to do with it and told him i would not help him do such a project....Although i did help when he installed real lowering springs
Old 01-03-2009, 04:45 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

do it. obviously its shunned upon but just do it and be a first.
if it dont work out too well for u then dibs on the seats n waterfall
Old 01-03-2009, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Originally Posted by SVicksTC
Why redo your whole suspension setup half butt....I hope you dont think im coming off like a douche in all of this but if your redoing your whole suspension struts, sways, bushings.....WHY CHEAP OUT? I dont see the point in sacrificing the quality in the springs if your going to redo your whole suspension

And as for my buddy who did it on his 1st gen then switched i dont know how he did it because i didnt want anything to do with it and told him i would not help him do such a project....Although i did help when he installed real lowering springs

because I'm really particular about suspension on all that cars I have had in the last 11 years of me driving. and with all the suspension I have worked on in my own cars family member and in my dads shop, I have found with city driving cutting a stock spring has giving me a smoother ride then after market springs on a few of those cars. . Any one that has done this as many time as I have will only add a few extra minutes to installs. ( I was taught my dad, uncles guy that have been working on cars since the 60's and have showed me how to do something that are now longer done just because people don't want to. or know how to do them. ) I have no problem doing my suspsion testing something out. if I don't like it I will take it apart and redo it. I'm the one my friends call when then need suspension work done to their car. everthing from BMW to Lexus to Honda. so for everyone that is saying i'm diong for doing I hope you are saying this cause you have done the work yourself and not just cause you read something online.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ZTC
do it. obviously its shunned upon but just do it and be a first.
if it dont work out too well for u then dibs on the seats n waterfall

Old 01-03-2009, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay...so your question is...who has cut their springs? well so far nobody has posted because they are either ashamed to admit how stupid they were or...dead?

if your so set on doing it regardless of the stupidity and consequences, why post at all? what does it matter how many other people have done it?

also, are you cutting your stock springs or your generic ebay brand DZ springs? i'm confused which set your going to actually cut.

i just don't get why people are so cheap when it comes to lowering springs, i mean, at most they could cost $200 dollars, but most of them are way cheaper. you have so many to choose from.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i knew someone who cut his springs and he wrecked his car...
Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been thinking about doing this too! :D

I'm getting tired of my SS-P coilovers so I might just sell them and cut my stock springs...

Quick Reply: Cut Stock Springs ?