Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

CV shaft....gone bad??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default CV shaft....gone bad??

well, i hear a "clicking" sound coming from front end driver's side mostly. Happens during steering play, braking, clutching (while starting out or going slow) and going over bumps.

I REALLY think its a CV shaft.. either that or a suspension part or steering shaft? (priuses were just recalled for faulty steering shaft)

My gut though, is that its a CV shaft. I'm pretty sure these parts are classified as "consumable items"...but heck, i've had the car less than 2 years, and the powertrain/drivetrain is under warranty still ( i'm pretty sure).

Anyone else having CV shaft/axle issues???

I'm gonna b!tch and complain if they don't replace under warranty.

This car is a new production model that is untested reliability wise on the street. They took the motor from the camry, dropped it in a lighter car, replaced the final drive gear, put 17 inch wheels on, open differential and the car is just torquey. Its pretty hard NOT to spin tires sometimes (especially in wet conditions). All these factors added up TO ME means extra stress on CV shafts.

There is NO WAY a CV shaft should go bad on a car with 28,000 miles less than 2 years off the dealer's lot. NEver been in an accident or hit a curb etc..

if it is a CV, that TO ME says that tc's have sub standard CV axles and aren't up to handling the torque the tc throws at the wheels.

grrr... i'll keep u posted.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't even know if it's a CV or not... just relax. Take it in, have them check it and see what they say.

There's no use complaining about reliability problems and substandard parts when you don't even know what the problem is and haven't bothered to find out yet.

And if it was related to any of the steering parts (like the prius and avensis), they would have recalled tCs as well. So why even mention it?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you think its a cv get under there and look for torn boot... wow people so quick to jump on the tc is a piece cuz my car is making a noise bandwagon...
Old 05-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

ok fellas...well, we'll hopefully know if I know what i'm talking about by the end of the day. Even if the CV boot isn't torn, you could still have a bad shaft. Based on my experience having a bad CV in my protege, i think unfortunately thats what it might be. Doesn't sound the SAME as my mazda did before it broke...but thats just my feeling.

With as bad as the roads are in philly with potholes etc... and the way the tires just break loose so easily in 1st 2nd (and even 3rd) i'm just saying i wouldn't be "surprised" (though definitely bummed out) if my issue is CV shaft related. Either that, or its a suspension or steering issue.

waiting for the call.......
Old 05-31-2006, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If its your CV you would have grease all over your wheels if its the outer boot...

Also if its from driving and you hitting somthing thats not toyotas problem thats yours for not seeing road hazards.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

I don't think its broke yet, just bad. I haven't "hit" anything. Theres bumpy roads and road debris (ie. rocks, pebbles, little potholes, etc..) everywhere. Cars are supposed to be made to handle common everyday driving. And if not...then the Limited warranty should cover it.

bottom line is: I haven't "raced" or crashed the car, so there should be no reason to have a bad CV.

UPDate: THey're keeping the car overnite. Said they couldn't hear/feel the noise at first... (cuz the tech wears a hearing aid..seriously.) someone else is gonna check it out later today/tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The ONLY time you will hear the CV JOINT clicking is when you turn. Did you make sure your wheels were on tight enough? that can also cause a clicking sound.

I really doubt its your CV JOINT

My car hit a curb @ 55mph, and the CV JOINT and boot were intact perfectly, with no damage whatsoever. Its possible that you have a bad axle or even possible that your rotor guard is rubbing up against the rotor itself.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Banned
SL Member

CV shaft=axle....

we'll see tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I doubt it is the half shaft, more likely the CV JOINT if anything, but strange it does it all the time without first appearing only when turning.

If it is bad.. that has no bearing on the quality of the car, could have just been a bad part. It happens. Just let them look it over.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 AM
Banned
SL Member

Steering shaft was loose (something wrong with spline) and loose lower control arm....

Feels much better now.