Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Dan Gardner Custom Sway Bar is now available thru Dezod Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 PM

Just ordered mine! Can't Wait!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KiKaZ-sC
What setting you got it on?
I put it on the middle setting. It was rather cold last night and my tires weren't really up to being thrashed on cold pavement. Also, I don't trust the road surfaces enough to go whole hoss on the street anyway. There are some auto-x events this month where I'll get a better idea of the changes. You can definitely feel the rear end of the car is much much more solid. I might move it out to the furthest hole to see how the two compare.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the install photos one of you guys posted, I see someone has this installed on the inner-most hole. That is the STIFFEST setting. It is NOT meant to be used in that setting on the street. Exercise GREAT caution!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is medium stiffness "safe" on the street? Or should we be going on the softest setting on the street? I would like to run medium as a dailydriver.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RoboCop
Is medium stiffness "safe" on the street? Or should we be going on the softest setting on the street? I would like to run medium as a dailydriver.
I would say that all the settings are safe to run on the street, but if your talking about comfort I would definitely stay away from the stiffest setting even if I were on stock springs and shocks.

It's really a matter of preference, so tryout the different settings and see what you like!

Still gotta wait a WHOLE day for mine to arrive.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by KiKaZ-sC
I would say that all the settings are safe to run on the street, but if your talking about comfort I would definitely stay away from the stiffest setting even if I were on stock springs and shocks.

It's really a matter of preference, so tryout the different settings and see what you like!

Still gotta wait a WHOLE day for mine to arrive.
If the driver is not expecting it, it can be dangerous. Running that stiff of a setting on the rear bar can cause the rear to come around easily. Hence, the stiffer settings are more for the track.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehh you'll get used to it use the stiffest setting
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As the designer of these bar specs, and as one of Scion's factory drivers, again, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THE STIFFEST SETTING ON THE STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try it out for AutoX or track use.

Play around with the other two on the street, but still use caution, especially when wet. As an example, when it rains, even on the track, we ALWAYS DISCONNECT AN ENDLINK TO GET RID OF THE BAR ENTIRELY. If you don't want to disconnect every time it rains, softest is your best bet. Just be careful out there you guys.

This bar works BOTH because it increases rear roll stiffness and because it reduces suspension droop, moreso with each hole you go inward.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Just installed mine!!! I love it! Took a couple corners and knew I could have taken them harder.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for that Dan.. I said it a million times but no one listens. If you dont autox the car at least, I honestly think you should stick with something like the standard progress bar or trd bar. Too many people have no idea what they are doing until one day they need to maneuver suddenly and then cant understand why they are **** first into the ditch, a tree, etc.

The soft setting is all you need (actually more than you need) in terms of rotation for the street guys. The medium setting maybe if you autox or track the car enough to actually know what you are doing (sorry to break it to most, but 99% of "good" drivers really dont know near as much as they think until they have pushed the car to its limits on a course, track, etc many times) with it. I dont actually anticipate using the stiffest setting even on the autox course (where rotation is THE battle on a fwd) except on the shorter, tighter courses.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i will put mine on the stiffest setting because i am the hardest of hardcore! and will be performing 360's on a whim and uber heroic 180's whenever my GPS tells me to make the next legal u-turn!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

I remember a hard corner i took and the tremendous under-steer i had. Very scary feeling.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Understeer is SAFER than oversteer for 99% of drivers, that is why cars come setup the way they do from the factory (look at the camber settings and suspension setups on a stock car). In either case, you have exceeded what the tires can do for you. With understeer, you at least are facing the right way when you leave the road. With oversteer, you leave the road.. backwards, sideways, etc. More likely to hit something with the side of the car, end up on your roof, etc in that case.

The tendency to rotate more does not give you more grip. Only the roll resistance helps that part. But with a sway, you are sacrificing grip on one end of the car in order to tune the handling balance. So if you know what you are wanting the car to do, you can use that rotation to your advantage (like, for example, coming into a hard pin turn, using some throttle lift and/or a bit of late braking to get the car to turn in and go where you want). But if you are not used to feeling the car do that often, it will be a bad thing when it sneaks up on you.

That is exactly why they dont recommend running the stiffest setting on the street.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't wait to order it, take the hideous DG sticker off, and powder coat it a normal color! Then install it!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks engifineer and dan. I followed your advice and bumped mine down. i drove around on the medium setting and it is a lot of improvement. Its exactly the kinda I want when I go to the auto x or test track. I think the stiffest setting might be a bit of overkill for me. I might try it out at a track but probably not keep it for the majority of the track time. Guys listen to engifineer. He knows what he is talking about
Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what u mean by medium setting? you mean the end link connect to the middle hole of the sway bar?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deez
I can't wait to order it, take the hideous DG sticker off, and powder coat it a normal color! Then install it!
this is a limited edition sway bar, why you want to change the color? you not gonna see it. when you want to sale it later, it will be less value and plus waste of money on powder coating.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes sir, the middle hole on the adjustment
Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by adg016
As the designer of these bar specs, and as one of Scion's factory drivers, again, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THE STIFFEST SETTING ON THE STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try it out for AutoX or track use.

Play around with the other two on the street, but still use caution, especially when wet. As an example, when it rains, even on the track, we ALWAYS DISCONNECT AN ENDLINK TO GET RID OF THE BAR ENTIRELY. If you don't want to disconnect every time it rains, softest is your best bet. Just be careful out there you guys.

This bar works BOTH because it increases rear roll stiffness and because it reduces suspension droop, moreso with each hole you go inward.
Thanks for chiming in Dan!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anytime, my friend!

Quick Reply: Dan Gardner Custom Sway Bar is now available thru Dezod Motorsports