Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Dan Gardner Custom Sway Bar is now available thru Dezod Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Love it even more after our test n tune and this last event. I am certainly competing at a higher level this season (Starting to inch up further on the 89-91 si hatch guys which is not an easy thing to compete against!). While some of that is just seat time and learning the car, the bar has made a big difference.

I the last event, we had a "toilet bowl" .. aka a big pavement circle that was part of the course. I could hit it hard and then tune out the oversteer rather than fighting the understeer that is typical. Very nice thing to deal with on a FWD car. For autox, I recommend running it full stiff and then adjusting your driving style to match. Ran 2nd most of the day until the 2nd driver of the si hatch eeked past me late in the day to put me in 2nd. Managed to beat the co-driven Imprezza 2.5 RS (also a huge contender in ST these days) by 0.6 seconds and 1.3 seconds respectively. Should have been by a larger margin, but I pushed a little hard on what felt like my fastest run by far and went sideways through some cones

PAX'd 42nd out of 143 cars. In raw times I was 53rd out of 143 cars.

And.. while this is obviously all due to a driver unsure in the car and new to autox, I can say after this event that I beat a 2001 Ferrari 360

Quick vid of one of my runs. Great course for having more rear sway bar. Video quality got kind of crappy on the upload

http://picasaweb.google.com/engifine...36456996122914
Nice vid, looks like you did great on that run.....
Old 06-19-2010, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

I dont think i have ever seen a driver that twitchy with the wheel!! Smooth is fast bro...

Love it even more after our test n tune and this last event. I am certainly competing at a higher level this season (Starting to inch up further on the 89-91 si hatch guys which is not an easy thing to compete against!). While some of that is just seat time and learning the car, the bar has made a big difference.

I the last event, we had a "toilet bowl" .. aka a big pavement circle that was part of the course. I could hit it hard and then tune out the oversteer rather than fighting the understeer that is typical. Very nice thing to deal with on a FWD car. For autox, I recommend running it full stiff and then adjusting your driving style to match. Ran 2nd most of the day until the 2nd driver of the si hatch eeked past me late in the day to put me in 2nd. Managed to beat the co-driven Imprezza 2.5 RS (also a huge contender in ST these days) by 0.6 seconds and 1.3 seconds respectively. Should have been by a larger margin, but I pushed a little hard on what felt like my fastest run by far and went sideways through some cones

PAX'd 42nd out of 143 cars. In raw times I was 53rd out of 143 cars.

And.. while this is obviously all due to a driver unsure in the car and new to autox, I can say after this event that I beat a 2001 Ferrari 360

Quick vid of one of my runs. Great course for having more rear sway bar. Video quality got kind of crappy on the upload

http://picasaweb.google.com/engifine...36456996122914
Old 06-19-2010, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^you can do better? He might not have been perfectly smooth but he was sure aggressive.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

People that talk that way on the forums tend to be those that have never done it before (obvious by his post) My driving was fine there, hence my results in the class I have to compete with. What you didnt see was the the fact that I was right on the edge between oversteer and balanced most of the time in the sweepers, which is why I was correcting where I was a tiny bit. You have no idea what the rear of the car was doing, or was on the edge of doing, by looking at the vids.

Feel free to come to any event here in the twin cities if you live nearby and show me how its done.. ;)
Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
^you can do better? He might not have been perfectly smooth but he was sure aggressive.
And getting a FWD like ours into a pin corner is best achieved with a late throttle lift, early turn in, especially when aggressively driving the course. But again, he would know that if he had experience really pushing the car to its limits.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

indeed
Old 06-20-2010, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Haven't autocrossed with it yet, but finally got a chance to install it a couple days ago. Even on the softest setting, it's a decent improvement over the standard Progress sway.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I couldn't seem to make it fit on the softest setting on my car, it would hit the control arm, so I put it on medium and <3 it. Wasnt that hard to get adjusted to having it on the car. I dont think Im gonna get $1300 saved up in time to get the matching springs
Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pinoyFMtC
Haven't autocrossed with it yet, but finally got a chance to install it a couple days ago. Even on the softest setting, it's a decent improvement over the standard Progress sway.
Run it full stiff for autox and adjust your driving style as needed. I run lots of negative camber (-2.75) and toe up front for events, plus the bar on full stiff. Does an excellent job. You wont be dissapointed.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you run toe in or toe out? I thought running toe with cause too much driver correction.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Malenko
I couldn't seem to make it fit on the softest setting on my car, it would hit the control arm, so I put it on medium and <3 it. Wasnt that hard to get adjusted to having it on the car. I dont think Im gonna get $1300 saved up in time to get the matching springs
Me too, had the endlinks almost all the way long, and it still rubbed on the lower arm. Kept the endlinks the same length and it was perfect for the medium setting.

Run it full stiff for autox and adjust your driving style as needed. I run lots of negative camber (-2.75) and toe up front for events, plus the bar on full stiff. Does an excellent job. You wont be dissapointed.
Nice, I'll give that a try this Sunday. I'm running -2 up front with bolts, zero toe.

How did you adjust the endlinks when full stiff? I've heard you want the arms of the bar running to the rear as parallel as possible to the ground, without hitting/rubbing the upper arm.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<3
Name:  barcopy.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  46.5 KB
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still have not found the time to install mine.

No garage + too much work travel + busy summer = me fail.

And I'm leaving for 2 weeks in Salt Lake City on 7/5. If I can't get this thing installed in the near future, it might have to hit the Classifieds.

MAYBE I can try to get it installed tomorrow - that would be nice considering we have an autox on Sunday.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it takes like 30 minutes max to install it. You can't be that busy. Just lose some sleep on it if you have to.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
I still have not found the time to install mine.

No garage + too much work travel + busy summer = me fail.

And I'm leaving for 2 weeks in Salt Lake City on 7/5. If I can't get this thing installed in the near future, it might have to hit the Classifieds.

MAYBE I can try to get it installed tomorrow - that would be nice considering we have an autox on Sunday.
I know how you feel, I finally found some time last week in my busy schedule to finally throw it on. We have an auto-x on Sunday also, can't wait to test it.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RoboCop
it takes like 30 minutes max to install it. You can't be that busy. Just lose some sleep on it if you have to.
The big problem is not having a garage. I can set up something with a friend or use my gf's parents driveway but then I have to bring tools and stuff and make sure I have what I need. So half hour or not, it's not a half hour for me.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might take a bit more then 30 minutes. Well took me a couple of hours, considering I could not get off the stock endlinks by myself.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just get under the car and push up/pull down. Easiest way for me. Let the weight of your body do the work.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Nice vid engifineer!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when are y'all going to make a dg spec front strut bar? the triangulated one that will bolt into the fire wall? haha jk

Quick Reply: Dan Gardner Custom Sway Bar is now available thru Dezod Motorsports