Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

diff b/t tein ss and tein ss-p

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member

Default diff b/t tein ss and tein ss-p

I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to coil overs. I dont plan to get the edfc with my tein coil over kit but i do want the adjustable shocks which is why i want to get either the ss or ss-p over the tein basics just so i can adjust the ride to fit my needs every now and then. Anyway...so was just wondering if any of you guys know what the difference is b/t the tein ss coilover and the tein ss-p. What exactly do the pillow ball's do? Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ss = no pillowball mounts

here's a link to tein's site. it's a lil bit "engrish" but you get the idea.

http://www.tein.com/pumnt.html
Old 09-04-2005, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have SSP's on my tc.

the pillow mounts keep the top of the spring centered better during cornering. on the stock mount, the spring can shift during aggressive cornering. preventing the spring from moving is supposed to result in better handling.

installation with the pillowmounts is easier. you do not need to take apart the stock spring/strut/shock assembly (dont need a spring compressor). you simply remove the entire strut/shock assembly (6 bolts each) and swap in the pre-assembled Tein coilover.

the SS-P also comes with adjustable camber plates for the fronts only. depending on how you mount the plates, you can get crazy amounts of positive or negative camber.

with the pillow mounts, the ride is supposed to be alittle rougher (according to the Tein technician I spoke with) since the pillow mount is stiffer than the stock mount.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True about the ride, but if you look at the entire Tein line for the tC, they all use the same springs. Pillowballs transfer a little more high frequency road noise than the OEM mounts do, but are well worth it just for the camber plates.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the ss-p go with it totally worth the extra cash.

www.illusivemotorsports.com if u want some tein check the site out
Old 09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the SS-P also comes with adjustable camber plates for the fronts only. depending on how you mount the plates, you can get crazy amounts of positive or negative camber.
What happens in the rear if camber plates are only on the fronts?
Will camber kits be needed (for example: ) for even tread ware?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. There is no point to "camber plates" in the back. It is a double wishbone suspension, so changing the angle of the shock will have no effect on rear camber. It will mess with the suspension though, and probably not in a way anyone wants.

The car comes from the factory with a camber adjustment cam in the back, it is very effective.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. There is no point to "camber plates" in the back. It is a double wishbone suspension, so changing the angle of the shock will have no effect on rear camber. It will mess with the suspension though, and probably not in a way anyone wants.

The car comes from the factory with a camber adjustment cam in the back, it is very effective.
10/4 - lo bux racer... by the way is there a difference between a camber plate (which u've refered) and a camber link (http://www.titanmotorsports.com/hosprecali.html)?

Is additional equipment needed (i.e. bushings and what not...).
Old 09-07-2005, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, Hotchkis is selling a camber link that replaces the upper control arm with an adjustable set up. It might be necessary for certain applications where the driver wants very little negative camber in the rear to help rotate the car. The OEM setup gains a lot of negative camber as you lower it. I don't think the OEM cams could bring it back to zero without the Hotchkis (or equivalent) links.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The OEM setup gains a lot of negative camber as you lower it. I don't think the OEM cams could bring it back to zero without the Hotchkis (or equivalent) links.
So ur basically saying camber links are going to be needed in the back to have even camber?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

H&R makes off-centered camber bolts for certain vehicles.
the toyota repair manual gives directions for replacing the stock bolt with off-centered narrower units to correct rear camber.

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/triplec.html
Old 09-07-2005, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HKSpeed
H&R makes off-centered camber bolts for certain vehicles.
the toyota repair manual gives directions for replacing the stock control arm bolt with off-centered narrower units to correct rear camber.

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/triplec.html

THats pretty tight never seen those before... even though the pic doesnt show 3 degress....
Old 09-07-2005, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will those apply to teins or will another brand (camber links) be needed?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They will do nothing for the rear. The suspension is not McPherson strut, it is a double wishbone style (even though the upper arm is not exactly a wishbone).

Scion has bolts available to set up your front, it's all in the service manual. The bad thing about the bolts is they are not as strong as the original bolt, and if you are using your car for something like autocross or track days, you would be far better off to get camber plates for the front.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So with coilovers that have a camber plates in the front, how will the camber issue be resolved for the back suspension (something like http://www.titanmotorsports.com/hosprecali.html?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Adjust the factory supplied cam. That's what I did, it worked just fine.

These are the only camber adjusting links for the tC rear suspension:http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bi...atalogno=12425

The Titan link is for a Mini, not a tC, and it will NOT work on a tC, this is not a universal type part.

Again, the ONLY reason to install these links is to reduce camber in the back to make the car oversteer. NOT for the average driver, and definitely NOT for the inexperienced driver. You need to be looking to do something very specific in order to need this kind of adjustment.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10/4
Just out of curiousity, how and where did u go to calibrating everything (unless u've got ur own equipment which most people don't)?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You go to an alignment shop that is willing to set up your car to different specs than the factory recommends. That's rarely easy, and once you find the shop, be sure to consistently give them your business. Most shops that do racecars can do this. Some tire stores can do this. If you are in Sacramento, I can tell the right place to go.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by R2D2
So with coilovers that have a camber plates in the front, how will the camber issue be resolved for the back suspension (something like http://www.titanmotorsports.com/hosprecali.html?
Tein comes with pillowball mounts on the ss-p front and back...
Old 09-08-2005, 12:50 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

definatly get them with the pillowball mounts. its worth every penny just for the camber plates in the front. the camber in the rear isnt gunna be an issue unless you lower it to where its not streetable. so dont waste your money on camber correcting kits for the rear. as far as adjusting the camber/toe when you get an alignment, the tein ss-p makes it so easy to adjust the mechanic actually got it done faster that it would take if it was stock. he said it was really easy to work on. so any halfway competant tech with a laser machine can do it without a problem. just stay away from the high volume places.

Quick Reply: diff b/t tein ss and tein ss-p