Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

is dropping my ride with only springs really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default is dropping my ride with only springs really that bad?

Someone told me dropping my tc 2 inches without coilovers is bad. Coul you explain this? I am a noob and cheap bastard too .
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dropping 2" with stock shocks will drastically reduce the lifespan of your stock shocks. You would be wise to install performance shocks like those from TRD or Koni at the same time as installing springs which will give you longer life and better performance.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So.. how much will that cost me?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRDs are about 450 from www.mcgeorgeparts.com, not sure about the where or how much the Konis are. Probably more than the TRDs
Old 09-07-2005, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybee im dumb but how can you drop it with stock coils?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Instigator is right. The stock shocks are made to mate with the load-bearing capacity of the stock springs, changing either element would put undue strain on the assembly, and then its just a matter of time before it breaks. The proper way to lower a car is to get coilovers which are matched perfectly and which will incur no undue strain. Or you could get lowering springs and some sport shocks, but your savings will be negligable ie. $250 for springs, and maybe $120 per shock = $730, and TEIN BASICS run about $750 which are full coilovers. So now its all up to you.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

so if i buy tein basic i can pretty much install them my self correct?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by schwettynuts
so if i buy tein basic i can pretty much install them my self correct?
you could, but i would recommend you have some knowledge about suspension before you install them yourself.

if you were to get trd springs (1.25" drop), the stock struts wouldnt be so bad, but would wear them out sooner.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your asking these questions there is no way you would be able to do a coilover install without some serious homework
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ True, but at least he's asking the correct questions
and listening to the responses.

IMHO, a mild drop with springs on stock struts isn't so bad.
But they will fail prematurely. Many, many xB are driving
around with 2" drop on stock dampers and only a few have
had issues.

tC being a little bit more of a sporty car, I'd save up the extra
and just get coil overs and do it right.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slammed
if your asking these questions there is no way you would be able to do a coilover install without some serious homework

hahaha ppl act like its hard coilovers would be easier then just doing coils since most of them come pre assembled
Old 09-08-2005, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is bad because it is more stress on the stock shocks, which will cause the stock shocks to blow out due to the higher spring rate
Old 09-08-2005, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't see the benefit of replacing something new because it won't last "as long". Drop it on springs. When the shocks/ struts wear out in a couple of years, maybe a few months less than with the OEM springs, replace them then. Why have a new set sitting on the shelf when the upgraded ones are eventually going to wear out too and maybe faster since they're built for more agressive use that usually equals less longevity...
Old 09-08-2005, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you've ever seen a riced-out Honda bouncing on the road, it's because he went with lowering springs and didn't upgrade the shocks/struts. My friend's brother only replaced the springs on his Civic, and on our trip down to Myrtle Beach a couple years ago, I saw the rear of his car bouncing violently over bridges. He almost lost control. Also, his passenger had a pretty good headache because of hitting his head on the roof whenever going over small bumps. Going with a mild drop wouldn't be that bad.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by imsono___un
If you've ever seen a riced-out Honda bouncing on the road, it's because he went with lowering springs and didn't upgrade the shocks/struts
that is completly untrue.

a honda can change out the springs, and leave the stock struts and ride just like the tC does.

when you see the bouncing, its probably becasue that person cut or heated their springs.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
If you've ever seen a riced-out Honda bouncing on the road, it's because he went with lowering springs and didn't upgrade the shocks/struts

a honda can change out the springs, and leave the stock struts and ride just like the tC does.

when you see the bouncing, its probably becasue that person cut or heated their springs.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about the cheap springs (e-bay specials). Also, I said "riced-out honda" because that's what I commonly see bouncing around town. Usually they're real young and broke with bad paint, rust and/or primer, have a shopping-cart wing, a stereo system worth more than the car, and want to live all Fast and Furious (hooray for bling-bling spinner wheel covers and APC). If done properly, there won't be any major issues with lowering any car.
But I know my friend's brother got cheap springs off e-bay, and his car bounced like strippers on dollar night. At least he did a proper drop on his Mustang by getting Eibachs.

I decided to go with coilovers from a reputable company so I don't have to worry about things like that. I'm not saying people shouldn't get springs only, but it's just personal preference.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had 3 cars lowered over the past 12 years...all with mild drops 1.5" etc.. all done with good brand springs Eibach etc..all with stock shocks and NEVER had a shock go bad (over 20,000 miles on one car)...do tje TRD's if you want to leave other stuff alone. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY

Sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about the cheap springs (e-bay specials). Also, I said "riced-out honda" because that's what I commonly see bouncing around town. Usually they're real young and broke with bad paint, rust and/or primer, have a shopping-cart wing, a stereo system worth more than the car, and want to live all Fast and Furious (hooray for bling-bling spinner wheel covers and APC). If done properly, there won't be any major issues with lowering any car.
But I know my friend's brother got cheap springs off e-bay, and his car bounced like strippers on dollar night. At least he did a proper drop on his Mustang by getting Eibachs.

I decided to go with coilovers from a reputable company so I don't have to worry about things like that. I'm not saying people shouldn't get springs only, but it's just personal preference.
I'm guessing these Hondas weren't less than a year or two old, right? Their shocks were probably already shot when they lowered it. Completely different situation than removing perfectly good items and shelving them so they don't go out prematurely...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So basically, you can drop with just springs and you will not see much of a difference as the stock shocks/struts will wear out a few thousand miles or a few months before using aftermarket shocks/struts.

That is what I am getting from what everyone is saying.

Does this sound like a good idea? Drop on JUST springs now, and when my shocks/struts do fail, replace them with aftermarket shocks/struts. That should at least give me a year to save some change for new shocks/struts, right?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you do a mild drop like trd, keep your stock struts, if you do a drastic drop like stech, get aftermarket struts

Quick Reply: is dropping my ride with only springs really that bad?