Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

fenders rub on tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 AM
SL Member

Default fenders rub on tires

i recently bought another scion tc after my first one got totaled not too long ago. the new one i got has 18 in rims on it and set set of hotchkis lowering springs installed as well. the car has no visible fender gap and you can get a finger in between the tire and fender at an angle. my problem is that sometimes the fenders will rub on the tires. the front is much worse than the rear. but i dont want to get new tires and have the same problem or something worse happen. what is the easiest way to correct this problem? would just front and rear anti sway bars help with this or should i get new lowering springs that dont lower the car as much?( dont really want to change the springs cuz i like the way the car looks and sits but if i have to i will) i need to get new tires and an alignment done soon and need to get this done right the first time.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had hotchkis springs sitting on 18" and never had any rubbing issues.
That was before I had upgraded to coilovers when my stock shocks went out. Are you sure your shock's arnt blown ??
Old 10-12-2009, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DOWNSHIFT
I had hotchkis springs sitting on 18" and never had any rubbing issues.
That was before I had upgraded to coilovers when my stock shocks went out. Are you sure your shock's arnt blown ??
it's all about width and offset.

Easiest way is to remove/cut the fender liners and roll the fenders. If it still rubs either get new wheels or run negative camber.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:34 PM
SL Member

roughly how much does rolling the fenders generally run? otherwise getting new wheels doesn't really fit into my budget for the time being. it already seems to be running negative camber, bout as much as allowed within stock alignment specs.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same problem with my 18's, i also had the hotchkis lowering springs and switched to the trd's and still i rub. im not really into the whole concept of rolling my fenders but Go4shoped is right it would probably be the cheapest way to do it.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heat gun, patience and a rubber mallet = rolled fenders but the fronts don't really have much to roll. They're already rolled. Are you hitting the plastic lining in the wheel well? If so, who cares lol. You might want to go to a smaller tire to avoid issues like this.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used a bat and my jack handle. believe it or not rolling the front does give a lot of clearance. The rear is a pain to roll since theres 2 sheets of metal meeting at that point. Makes for a very stiff lip.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeh i just rolled my fenders and modified the rear bumper because it was rubbing on my wheels bad. It was not that hard! It only cost me 8 bucks for the heat gun and some patience...this all I used plus my scissor jack.....

Name:  101_2384.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  84.6 KB
Old 10-13-2009, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkei
roughly how much does rolling the fenders generally run? otherwise getting new wheels doesn't really fit into my budget for the time being. it already seems to be running negative camber, bout as much as allowed within stock alignment specs.
From my experience, to get them rolled at a shop is roughly 50 bucks a corner. I only had my rears rolled.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

50 bucks a corner sounds right. I think that is what I was quoted before.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 AM
SL Member

aside from rolling the fenders what is the next best option?(different springs or anti sway bars) problem seems to come up during cornering and potholes and extremely steep/sudden rises in the road. i went to take a better look at the problem and the fender tire rub is mainly on the whole left driver side, especially the front driver side. the passenger side front isn't too bad and passenger rear is hard to tell but still visible. struts do not seems to be blown or showing the least sign of wear. my car only has 48k miles on it. if i can i will try to provide pics for tire rubbing and the clearance levels on both sides. sorry i didn't mention this before but i am rather busy with work a lot. thanks for the input guys. i really do appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to a smaller tire (profile and width) and it should get rid of most of it. Beyond that, the sway bars are good to have to get rid of body roll.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
Go to a smaller tire (profile and width) and it should get rid of most of it. Beyond that, the sway bars are good to have to get rid of body roll.
I wouldn't recommend this because of the fact that your speedometer will be off (reading incorrectly). Will it work, yes. I think you need to take a peek and see where the rubbing actually is, then address it.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If he is on 18's already then he would be getting closer to the OEM speedometer calibration.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If he went up to 18's and sized the tires right, the speedo should be about the same. If he went with less width, it would be close, but less height would put it pretty far off and if he went less in both it would be even further. Not my car though so it is up to you, but if it were me I would rather get the tire/wheel setup to fit rather than spending ~$400+ on new tires for a set.