Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Front brake caliber's rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Front brake caliber's rebuild?

Okay i have an insanely loud squeaking noise coming from my front brakes, so I took it into a shop and they said they have to rebuild the brake caliber's because the pistons are sticking. I had ceramic pads put on while they were trying to get a hardware kit because they don't have one for the Tc. They said the only place to get it from was the dealer and it was $95. bucks and that I'd have to buy it if I wanted them to rebuild it. My question is, how hard it is to rebuild them and should I just buy the kit myself and do the work?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sounds... odd. I would maybe look to get a second opinion. Without seeing them, it sounds like you might just have really low pads and there is a piece scraping the rotor as you're driving. How are your pads? Is the rotor in decent shape?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ack154
That sounds... odd. I would maybe look to get a second opinion. Without seeing them, it sounds like you might just have really low pads and there is a piece scraping the rotor as you're driving. How are your pads? Is the rotor in decent shape?
My pads are only a few months old and still have a lot left on them. Rotors are dirty, but not warped. I thought maybe something with the heat shield but it's fine too.. It only makes the sounds when I'm braking around 40-50mph and from 70-80mph.. He said the rotors are getting way too much heat from the pads sticking. Said it was caused by pistons sticking.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess it's possible. I don't know much about having the calipers rebuilt though - never had to go through that. I'd also look into how much replacement calipers would be. If not from your local dealer, look up on TRDsparks.com (and click the OEM parts search on the right).
Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM

I guess it's possible. I don't know much about having the calipers rebuilt though - never had to go through that. I'd also look into how much replacement calipers would be. If not from your local dealer, look up on TRDsparks.com (and click the OEM parts search on the right).
Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate the help. I guess i'll have to call a few shops, TRDsparks.com doesn't have calipers on there from what I saw. Just pads and rotors.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check this:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

This is for an 09 tC (not sure what year you have) but they should all be the same anyway. You can get the caliper, the piston, or an "overhaul" kit... which I think is what you'd need for the rebuild.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Check this:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

This is for an 09 tC (not sure what year you have) but they should all be the same anyway. You can get the caliper, the piston, or an "overhaul" kit... which I think is what you'd need for the rebuild.
Awesome, thanks I'll look into it and ask sparks if the overhaul kit would work. My Tc is an 06, but like you said it should all be interchangable throughout most of the Tc.

I'll definitely be hanging around this site for a long time.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I had to have one of mine rebuilt about a month ago. It cost me 50 bucks and was fixed, I can stop now...yay
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecarter423
Awesome, thanks I'll look into it and ask sparks if the overhaul kit would work. My Tc is an 06, but like you said it should all be interchangable throughout most of the Tc.

I'll definitely be hanging around this site for a long time.
have you thought of checking the sliding pins of the calipers? Those can lose their lube over time and cause the caliper to stick. If those are dry (no lube) then there's something to try first.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
have you thought of checking the sliding pins of the calipers? Those can lose their lube over time and cause the caliper to stick. If those are dry (no lube) then there's something to try first.
I have not, but I can have the guy at the shop look at it again this weekend. He said something about using lube to help for now. I'll probably do this until it starts back up.

Ghost: That's a great deal compared to the $160 he quoted me to get both rebuilt.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang my girl has 30 thousand miles...drives the car daily and sometimes hard breaking. We still havent changed our brakes.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Domo
dang my girl has 30 thousand miles...drives the car daily and sometimes hard breaking. We still havent changed our brakes.
Well mine is an 06, and the only thing I've had to replace is the tires and the brake pads / rebuilt calipers.. which isn't bad for almost 80k miles.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecarter423
I have not, but I can have the guy at the shop look at it again this weekend. He said something about using lube to help for now. I'll probably do this until it starts back up.

Ghost: That's a great deal compared to the $160 he quoted me to get both rebuilt.
yeah that lube is what happened with mine, the sliding pins needed to be lubed up and caused the one pad to wear slightly faster. Others have ignored lubing up the sliding pins, and the caliper actually seized that pin inside the housing. ouch. so hope that is what helps cure it, cheaper than a new caliper. i'd say it's like every 15k miles those pins need to be lubed. There is a special lubricant that toyota uses, one mechanic used silicone on mine and made it all "gummy". so try and find the right stuff

update just found the toyota part
08887-01206 it's called rubber grease, it's actually a lithium soap glycol grease that the service manual says to use, works a lot better than the silicone the mechanic was trying to use.

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 03-25-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
yeah that lube is what happened with mine, the sliding pins needed to be lubed up and caused the one pad to wear slightly faster. Others have ignored lubing up the sliding pins, and the caliper actually seized that pin inside the housing. ouch. so hope that is what helps cure it, cheaper than a new caliper. i'd say it's like every 15k miles those pins need to be lubed. There is a special lubricant that toyota uses, one mechanic used silicone on mine and made it all "gummy". so try and find the right stuff

update just found the toyota part
08887-01206 it's called rubber grease, it's actually a lithium soap glycol grease that the service manual says to use, works a lot better than the silicone the mechanic was trying to use.
Thanks I'll be sure to pick some up this weekend and have the shop use it.

UPDATE: Just an FYI, I had them look at my brakes again and this is what was causing the squealing. When I had my ceramic pads put on, it wasn't properly on and was slightly touching the rotors incorrectly, causing a small rut in the rotor. So they sanded down my pads and rotors to a smooth surface and the squeal is gone!

Last edited by ecarter423; 03-29-2010 at 02:56 PM.