Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

FWD Cars on canyons??? uh

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default FWD Cars on canyons??? uh

Ok, so mom co-signed for you and now you have a new tC... Lets lower it drop some "dubs" on it that weigh more then then car, and now you want to "carve the canyons". These are FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS, they are made to get good milage and such, these are not camaros, 911s or vettes. I mean the fast and the furious was cool but really guys, if you want to drive the canyons get a car built for it.
I drive the hwy 74 in Palm Springs, do I drive a honda civic or a tC...no I drive a RWD car, because I want it to go where I want it to go and when the rear end gets loose I want to have a good feel for where the azz end it going to go. Anywho, if you dont believe me, wait untill you get out of school and go take you car up a canyon and dont hit the brakes, see how long untill you need a new seat.

Anyone disagree?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Huh?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I understand what you're getting at...

I don't see an issue with a normal FWD sport-compact getting loose on the rear end, because more than likely, the cause of the rear end breaking loose is too much power going to those wheels. A Camaro isn't exactly what I'd call a corner carver either--it's a big, fairly heavy car compared to a 911 or even a 'vette. Loosing traction on a FWD car in the rear would be due to stupidity on the driver's part, including, but not limited to, driving with the traction control turned off (tC), going way too fast, or doing something really stupid like trying to powerslide around corners using your parking brake like you see in the movies.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, so mom co-signed for you and now you have a new tC... Lets lower it drop some "dubs" on it that weigh more then then car, and now you want to "carve the canyons". These are FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS, they are made to get good milage and such, these are not camaros, 911s or vettes. I mean the fast and the furious was cool but really guys, if you want to drive the canyons get a car built for it.
I drive the hwy 74 in Palm Springs, do I drive a honda civic or a tC...no I drive a RWD car, because I want it to go where I want it to go and when the rear end gets loose I want to have a good feel for where the azz end it going to go. Anywho, if you dont believe me, wait untill you get out of school and go take you car up a canyon and dont hit the brakes, see how long untill you need a new seat.
Camaros & Vettes??? U need to rethink ur statement before u make it... Those cars are one of the last ones I'd consider for that type of driving.
Porsches' on the otherhand Easily $50K+...
Old 09-15-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i suppose a Chrysler 300C is better suited for the canyons than any FWD car? its front engine RWD. how about a Lincoln Towncar?

quit living in the past man. awd is where its at.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clearly this guy is a troll looking to stir up something, but Ill put in my $.02 as he is pretty misinformed.

As a former 94 Z28 Camaro owner I am very aware of the cars capabilities and I can attest to the excellent handling they can offer. My car was set up with full BMR Fabrication components including upper and lower tubular front a arms, strut tower brace, subframe connectors, lower control arms, panhard bar, torque arm, and sway bars, coupled with an Eibach pro-kit and bilstein shocks on 17"SS wheels with BFG KDW 275/50/17's all araound. Seeing your name as superchargedRS, I can only assume you have the half a$$ed RS V6 camamro with a body kit which is the laughing stock of Z28 owners everywhere and even with a supercharger, you cant keep up with a lightly modded Z28.

After coming form such a well handling car, I can say that the tC is not a bad platform to start with and has a lot of potential in the curves. Im sure with just a few mods it will easily outhandle your car and be on par with what I had. An independent rear suspension will destroy a live axle car very easily, espicailly with upgraded suspension parts.

As far as your comment of FWD cars not handling well, take a look at the Speed Challenge series and look at the acuras and hondas that are ripping up the tracks and beating many of the RWD cars in their class.

If youre going to try to start some flames, at least come well informed.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

dame right awd is the style everybody is doin y isnt our tc's doin it
Old 09-15-2005, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AWD = about $25000 (unless you want a weak Impreza 2.5i) FWD tC = $17000

Need I say more?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

a cooper s is one of the better handling vehicles you can buy for pretty cheap. guess what, its fwd. just because its fwd, doesnt mean it cant handle.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try Highway 74 from the 5 freeway to Lake Elsinore if you want some excitement, I did it a few weekends ago and was going no more than 70 mph and it was very fun. I did it in a safe manner. If you no this road you know what I mean.

John
Old 09-15-2005, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: FWD Cars on canyons??? uh

Originally Posted by SuperchargedRS

Anyone disagree?
you are an idiot. just here to start ****. camaro....roflmao The_Instigator: no offense to you but they were never meant to be canyon carvers... but like yours, they can be converted. that must've been a bada$$ setup, althought teeth jarring.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
AWD = about $25000 (unless you want a weak Impreza 2.5i) FWD tC = $17000

Need I say more?
used wrx's are in the $15K neighborhood.
there's also the used Eclipse GSX and Eagle Talon TSI-AWD from 91-98.
GC 2.5RS' make ample power for canyon running.

i wouldnt be serious about turning a new car/daily driver into a canyon runner. especially if its your only car.

best to buy a cheap used car that you dont mind wrecking. i'm looking to buy a cheap miata and stripping it into a canyon/track car. thats what i did to my old 240sx.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ he was complaining about the tC not being AWD. I was showing the price difference between most AWD prices and the tC
Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: FWD Cars on canyons??? uh

Originally Posted by fsr20det

Anyone disagree?
you are an idiot. just here to start ****. camaro....roflmao The_Instigator: no offense to you but they were never meant to be canyon carvers... but like yours, they can be converted. that must've been a bada$$ setup, althought teeth jarring.
The ride was actually not too bad. I never said it was meant to be a canyon carver, but they dont get the credit they deserve either. The camaro rear suspension setup is basically the best live axle setup out there...its just like what is used in NASCAR. It will outperform a 4 link in pretty much every aspect when properly tuned.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, the new Vette's handle pretty well. They're a far cry from the vette's of yore that were easily beaten by a racing MINI of yore. Now.. it's an understatement to say a vette can take down a MINI. Although to be fair, vettes don't lend themselves to the corner as much as say, an RSX might.

Although it can't compare to a RWD's controlled sliding abilities, FWD cars with some suspension tuning will easily oversteer and if you don't go into an uncontrolled slide than the rear sliding isn't too much of a problem.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member

A camaro is a farily good car to auto-x in,. Here is my main opint though, when I drive up say the 74 I want to have confidence in a car, if you can put the car beyond it's limits and pull it back...in my opinion it is not a good canyon car (just as in drifting, where you have to control a car that is out of control...find a FWD car there? ). Also the Camaro (if you guys want to dwell on that ride) is a very common car in the SCCA, not to mention that they were raced in the prof., what do you think IROC stands for?
And as far as my ride goes, yea I have a somewhat built Camaro, and I also know a bit about the tC (through my work) and I will say you dont get the same feeling going around a corner in a TC with the little 2.4 FWD engine as you would in a RWD car.
Also I didnt see where I mentioned AWD, and I must of missed the AWD tC?
Besides look at the demograph of the people that buy these things, 18-25 yr olds that are first time buyers/drivers, Find a HIGH perf. car that is FWD? and do go saying a CRX or a integra or some overblown ecno car like that.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm sure you love to d0rift0 in your RWD car, that's also the slowest way to get around a corner.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member

A camaro is a farily good car to auto-x in,. Here is my main opint though, when I drive up say the 74 I want to have confidence in a car, if you **CAN"T** put the car beyond it's limits and pull it back...in my opinion it is not a good canyon car (just as in drifting, where you have to control a car that is out of control...find a FWD car there? ). Also the Camaro (if you guys want to dwell on that ride) is a very common car in the SCCA, not to mention that they were raced in the prof., what do you think IROC stands for?
And as far as my ride goes, yea I have a somewhat built Camaro, and I also know a bit about the tC (through my work) and I will say you dont get the same feeling going around a corner in a TC with the little 2.4 FWD engine as you would in a RWD car.
Also I didnt see where I mentioned AWD, and I must of missed the AWD tC?
Besides look at the demograph of the people that buy these things, 18-25 yr olds that are first time buyers/drivers, Find a HIGH perf. car that is FWD? and do go saying a CRX or a integra or some overblown ecno car like that.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, the MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S rule the Canyons...
Imagine that... a little FWD with less than 200hp

Smack your RWD's all the way down the hill.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RS, give me a couple of more months then bring you Camaro out to the autocrosses around where I live, you better have one very fast Camaro to play against my tC, garanteed;) There was only one Camaro in So Cal SCCA autocross that was faster than my turbo Matrix in 2003 and it was barely faster;)

I prefer RWD even over AWD, just more fun, but a really fast FWD is such a kick in the **** because if you have plenty of power it is a challenge to go fast and if up to it, you will

Rick

Quick Reply: FWD Cars on canyons??? uh