Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

H&R Rear Sway Bar review

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Default H&R Rear Sway Bar review

It's time for another review of German-made suspension goodness from H&R, this time it's their rear sway bar. Here are the vitals: it's 24 mm thick (+5 mm OEM, +4 mm Suspension Techniques [Rear], +2 mm TRD/Progress, -3 mm Hotchkis [Rear]) and is nonadjustable. Purim/Teflon composite bushings are included, and "stoppers" are welded onto the bar to prevent lateral movement.

Installation

Installing the H&R rear sway bar is fairly straight forward and can be done on a level driveway with jack stands and hand tools, however, removing the previous rear sway bar can be a difficult, especially if it is an aftermarket bar with longer bar ends.
I'll spare you the details and refer you to this HOW TO thread --> https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30052

After removing my TRD sway bar, the H&R bar is installed using the previous end links, bushing brackets, and H&R-supplied composite bushings that eliminate the need for lubrication. The bar can be put in place (H&R logo facing down) without removing the axle-back exhaust, and thanks to it's shorter bar ends, installation is easier than other aftermarket sways; as with the H&R coilovers, build quality is excellent, and the end links slide easily into the mounting holes.

Handling

Going from the TRD sway bar to H&R provides a subtile, yet noticeable improvement in handling without negatively affecting comfort over uneven pavement and matches well with H&R coilovers (of course), but the sway bar will work well with any suspension combination. Understeer was slightly reduced over the TRD sway, however the bar is not so thick as to create snap oversteer issues. Thanks to a further reduction in body roll, my slightly larger-than-stock Falken Azenis 615 tires don't rub during aggressive cornering as they did with the previous sway bar.

As always, different damper, springs, and sway bar combinations will yield different results, but the H&R rear sway bar is another welcome option for tuning the tC suspension. If you're interested in the thickest rear sway bar without suffering from snap oversteer or having to buy a front sway bar, H&R may be what you're looking for.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

H&R definitely makes nice stuff. Did you find a good deal on it? I know that it's MSRP is kinda high for a rear sway... even though H&R is worth the bit of extra $ you might pay.

The non adjustable part kinda worried me... but it looks like the one hole in the H&R lines up pretty close to the race setting of the TRD... so that wouldn't be so bad.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i didnt even know H&R had a rear sway. where did u get it from?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by eliXion
i didnt even know H&R had a rear sway. where did u get it from?
It's been available for a little over a month. You can order them from AllSprings.com for $224.

Originally Posted by ack154
The non adjustable part kinda worried me... but it looks like the one hole in the H&R lines up pretty close to the race setting of the TRD... so that wouldn't be so bad.
The end link mount is 2 or 3 millimeters lower than the TRD race setting (sorry, I know the picture isn't the best), but you also have to take into account the H&R bar is 2 mm thicker which alone makes it about 42% stiffer.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

verry nice
you are making me want to spend more and more money on my suspension hahahha
Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

very nice!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

is really worth the extra $75 compared to the TRD?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by eliXion
is really worth the extra $75 compared to the TRD?
It depends on what you do with your car. If it's a daily driver and/or drag racer, probably not. If you autoX, track, or run canyons it's worth every penny in reduced understeer.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Bump for more tC suspension parts
Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

definately a nice product, and another great review as usual.

i am most likely getting this sway bar due to the fact that it is the thickest, yet is made solely for a rear sway bar without conjuction with a front sway bar, the front is just to hard to swap and i dont believe that its worth it.