Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Hotchkis front/rear sways = moonroof creek?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hotchkis front/rear sways = moonroof creek?

So, I never had the infamous "MoonRoof Creek" in my car. Not even after installing the rear sway. But after installng the front, I get a creek or pop sound from the roof when I turn over a bump, like when I pull in and out of my driveway. I'm pretty sure it's just stress becaue the car is so much stiffer now, and I'm not really worried about it, I dont even really notice it since my stereo is usually up. But I was just wondering if anyone else who has installed front and rear sways has gotten the creeking roof but did not have it before. Also, do you guys think I should take it in to get checked out?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

i've had the creaking and popping sounds and i dont have the sway bars
Old 06-23-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you checked to make sure everything tight and put together correct after installing the sways? you could always go to the dealer and let them know you are getting those thigns
Old 06-23-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You mean like the undercarriage of the car? No, but I dont' know why that would make a sound from the roof. I guess if somethings loose down there, it's possible. My question is, if I take it to the dealership, should I say "I didn't get the creeking until after I installed the sway bars?" I'm afraid if I do, they will say it's because of the swaybars so there's nothing they will do. Or should I just say it started happening?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the creeking and poping is caused by the brackets that hold the roof down. go tell them to check and tighten up ur roof and the noise will go away. i have to bring my car in cause the scres that hold the glass down are super loose and its constant noise
Old 06-23-2005, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr Meaty
You mean like the undercarriage of the car? No, but I dont' know why that would make a sound from the roof. I guess if somethings loose down there, it's possible. My question is, if I take it to the dealership, should I say "I didn't get the creeking until after I installed the sway bars?" I'm afraid if I do, they will say it's because of the swaybars so there's nothing they will do. Or should I just say it started happening?
noises come from all over. something you think is the roof can be caused by something else. in my xB i had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the dash, but was really the fog lights. i wouldn't tell the dealer you got them after installing the sway bars. the squeeking moonroof is a common problem, so they should fix that no problem
Old 06-23-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How long does that take? One of the reasons I like doing the work myself is so I don't have to be without my ride, and I know exactly how long it will be out of commision. What I dont' understand, if it's something loose up there, why would I not hear it untill after I installed the sways?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

coincidence.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I only have rear sways but I do get the same popping sound when I back down the driveway. I usually hear a popping sound as soon as one of the rear wheels rolls on the gutter. I'm guessing the body is twisting since I back down the driveway in an angle or sideways because I have S-tech drop. Since the glass roof cannot bend, maybe it makes a sound when the mounting points gets a little twisted.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's what i figured. But do you think it is because of the common tC roof problem, and is it fixable. I mean, I dont' think it's gonna shatter to roof or anything. I'm just starting to get worried because I know there are a few of us with the Hotchkis sways and no one else has said that they started getting the creek after they installed the sways.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IndigoDreams said:
the creeking and poping is caused by the brackets that hold the roof down.
You can check the torque if they are tightened to specs. My guess is they are and the pop is just caused by body being stiffer.

I'll leave mine alone for right now since mine does not pop while driving, only when backing down the driveway.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get it somtimes pullin into my drive way, and mines completely stock ....for now hope it doesnt get worse!!
Old 06-26-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the logical explanation:

By installing the sway bars, you have have stiffened your suspension to reduce body roll. However, but doing this, you are increasing body flex to your frame. Body flexing is what causes the moonroof to creak/pop. You didn't hear it before because your bolts were tight enough to widthstand the flexing before. Now however, the bolts have come loose causing the creaks.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Here's the logical explanation:

By installing the sway bars, you have have stiffened your suspension to reduce body roll. However, but doing this, you are increasing body flex to your frame. Body flexing is what causes the moonroof to creak/pop. You didn't hear it before because your bolts were tight enough to widthstand the flexing before. Now however, the bolts have come loose causing the creaks.
Sounds good to me. So, should I take it in to get looked at? And is there nobody out there with Hotchkis sways that have read this thread? c'mon guys!
Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meaty, I worked on my moonroof yesterday and now the sounds are almost gone.
What I did was lay two layers of electric tape flat accross the black bars that connect to the wind delector and I tightened about 6 of the most visable bolts. The 4 silver screws (2 on each side) of the silver metal groove were fairly loose. After performing this maintenance, the sounds are but completly gone. Just like when I first bought the car.
HTH
Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Marshall
Meaty, I worked on my moonroof yesterday and now the sounds are almost gone.
What I did was lay two layers of electric tape flat accross the black bars that connect to the wind delector and I tightened about 6 of the most visable bolts. The 4 silver screws (2 on each side) of the silver metal groove were fairly loose. After performing this maintenance, the sounds are but completly gone. Just like when I first bought the car.
HTH
Sweet! So, which black bars? The ones that lift up the wind deflector? And which metal groove? Is this with the roof open? and when you say fairly loose, do you mean like hand loose? I'll take a look at mine tonight. Thanks.

Oh, and did you sounds not start until after you put your bars in? Or did you have them before?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr Meaty
Sweet! So, which black bars? The ones that lift up the wind deflector? And which metal groove? Is this with the roof open? and when you say fairly loose, do you mean like hand loose? I'll take a look at mine tonight. Thanks.

Oh, and did you sounds not start until after you put your bars in? Or did you have them before?
Yes, the black bars that lift up the wind deflector. You can actually see scratched grooves on them rom the moonroof rubbing these as it opens and closes. If you open the moonroof, you can see and access the bars and screws. Just tighten all the screws you can. The ones that were the most loose, were the two silver screws on top the silver metal rail (must remove black wind deflector bars first).

I have not heard the loud creaking sound going over bumps and out fo driveways like I once did. Everything sounds they way it did once I first bought it. When I get some lock-tite I am going to retighten the screws.

My moonroof made made these noises before my sway bars were installed. I believe that these screws become loose naturally over time. The harder you drive and the stiffer your chassis, the faster these screws may become loose.