Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Hotchks Springs on TRD Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Hotchks Springs on TRD Struts

Hi, I'm problems with my Hotchks Springs on my TRD Struts. The problem is this, whenever I hit a bump or drive over any sort of irregularity in the road, whether it be a pothole, driveway entrance, speedbump or dead animal, I hear sqeeking and a Klunking sound coming from the rear of the tC. The squeeking is comming from the drivers side in the rear and the klunking is comming from what it sounds like is both of the shocks in the rear. This was a professional job done at the dealership so please don't tell me to go to the dealership where I had the work done. Please help me diagnose the problem.

If more information is needed please ask and I will tell you everything that I can. TIA!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Might be noise from the stress on the shocks? The TRD shocks i think were made for only the TRD springs. Since you went with a bit more of a drop, it stressing them out a lil more.

I have Hotchkis springs with stock shocks and i dont hear any squeek or nothin? You might want to upgrade your shocks to Koni shocks where those can take more stress and are made for springs with bigger drops. But they are a little pricey!

Might as well just go with Coilovers since you will spend between $4-600 for the Koni shocks?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I thought about that too but that wouldn't explain the squeeking noise that I'm getting. That would only explain the Klunking that I hear. I'm going to take the G ride to another dealership and see what they can tell me.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member

The squeeking could be coming from them not having tightened everything properly. The clunking could be coming from the rear sway bar. I noticed when I was putting in my springs/struts that it looked as if my sway bar was hitting against something from the wear in the paint (I haven't seen any more since the install). No matter what it is, I would definately get it fixed ASAP. You might want to consider going back to the dealer that did the install since you've got hotchkis springs. The other dealer doesn't have to touch your car as it's not eligible for warranty repair with those springs.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well stock suspension is made for stock springs. Load from the hotchkis springs shouldnt make any noises or anything like that. Maybe last a lil longer than stockers.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dtruong, I'm not on stock suspension, I don't understand what you said. As I stated before, I'm on Hotchks springs and on TRD Shocks along with the Hotchks Sways.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check the nuts on top of your rear strut towers in the trunk. Sounds like they did not torque them correctly. Also check your endlinks on your swatbar, they may be loose.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Its greatly appreciated.