Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

how hard do you take your corners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default how hard do you take your corners?

ok, before i get flamed, i have a stock 05 tC. it's got the stock suspension and stock 17" rims with the stock potenzas. i don't really take corners hard for 2 reasons:

1. the tires have such a low profile, i'm scared that i'll pop one or scratch a rim or something

2. i have a roof made of glass...wouldn't the extra stress of the fast turns alarm you that it has a potential to break?

obviously, my car has that stock sway with every turn. i'm just wondering, is it cool to take turns hard? this is my first car that i'm paying good money on, i don't want to hurt it, maybe thats why i'm being cautious.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

start slow and work your way up
Old 10-01-2005, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

1) Lower profile tires tend to flex less, as any change in size (due to bumps or load) cause the air pressure within the tire to rise faster than that of a higher profile tire. . . which means that the tire will retain it's shape better (which also means that you have less bump absorption, and a harsher ride. If you turn so hard as to "pop" your tire, I'd be more worried about you surving the next two days as a sane person. You will lose traction FAR FAR FAR FAR FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAR before the tire pops (from turning). You DO suffer a higher probability of popping your tires on bumps/potholes, however, with a low profile tire. . . and that's what I would worry about.

Your roof is not made of sheet metal. . . it is made out of the same material that makes up the frame of the car. However, you have a gaping hole for an extra large sunroof. . . the tC IS NOT a convertible. It's actually not even close to a T-top. There is PLENTY of support to keep the car from flexing THAT much. You do have a layer of glass OVER the metal (I forget if it's some aluminum alloy or steel, but I think it's steel). However, most cars have plenty of holes in their roofs, as you wouldn't want a completely solid piece (it'd be heavy heavy heavy). Scion/Toyota was nice enough to give you glass over the top, so that you get the nice moonroof effect. . . but most other companies do not do that, as it simply costs too much.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

If there was excessive flexing of the support beams that make up the true structure of your roof, then I'd worry, but there isn't. And if the car flexed THAT much, the roof would be the last of your concerns, considering that the windshield, windows, and rear glass are larger and easier to break pieces. If body flex were such an issue, we'd see scores of convertible cars (which FLEX A LOT) with broken windshields.

SO TO ANSWER YOUR THOUGHTS:

NO!!!!!! Your glass will not break. . . unless you are pushing 1.5 G's without a roll cage/chassis bracing, which is highly unlikely. Again, you'd have to litterally ride on RAILS for that to happen. Your tire traction will give out LONG before stuff starts breaking.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

And on damage, you will only wear out your tires.

Turning aggressively (depending on the degree) marginally affects the life expectancy of the car. You will place wear on your joints and suspension pieces, but they are usually extremely over-engineered, as to prevent failure.

The most destructive thing you can do to your car, is to drive like a mad man with a heavy foot. Secondly, pot holes are very damaging to your suspension. . . also hitting the bump stops in parking lots is VERY BAD. . . curbs and sidewalks also are a common source of damage.

. . . and THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE THING that happens to most new drivers:

ACCIDENTS. Even after repairs, they aren't always 100% like new.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool man, sounds good to me, thanks
Old 10-01-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i corner like a ****, the car holds pretty well, will have to see how Pirelli Neros, sways and struts improve it.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Batjew
i corner like a ****, the car holds pretty well, will have to see how Pirelli Neros, sways and struts improve it.
The last thing we need is someone that corners "like a ****" on public streets.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by versello
The last thing we need is someone that corners "like a ****" on public streets.
I'm just exaggerating but I do enjoy twisty roads.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HES CRAZY! He almost killed me driving...

No but really, i have seen him drive..

Okay, really..Hes a good driver. So when he says "Corners like a ****" i'm sure he doesn't do it when children are playing on the streets or theres alot of traffic or risk of someone pulling out where he can't see...assuming...lol

Cya
Old 10-02-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I take corners pretty hard, but I have my suspension done well what can be done (trd shocks/struts, hotchkis front % rear sways, TRD springs) Will be installing my LSD with other tranny parts this month, and sometime soon refit my wheels with Yoko prada spec 2 tires.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
HES CRAZY! He almost killed me driving...

No but really, i have seen him drive..

Okay, really..Hes a good driver. So when he says "Corners like a ****" i'm sure he doesn't do it when children are playing on the streets or theres alot of traffic or risk of someone pulling out where he can't see...assuming...lol

Cya
I'm starting to get the impression he'll power slide through a 10mph residential area when little 4-year old Timmy is playing a game of stickball on the street.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

HEY! I am not 4.. and stick ball is AWESOME!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What LSD? Did I miss something, I have tried looking for one and have yet to find one.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Phantom Grip has its LSD you can purchase and quafie is working on thiers now.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

While i would have liked to have a quafie, Phantom grip has thiers now and its relativly in-expensive and I haven't heard anything negative about it so I purchased one.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
HEY! I am not 4.. and stick ball is AWESOME!
Hahahaha that was perfect timing timmy
Old 10-02-2005, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I can tell anyone that I have ever talked to about their Phantom Grip )for any car) has never been terribly impressed. When it comes to LSD and other big parts you get what you pay for. I have heard that they work for a while and then crap the bed.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to get back to the original topic for a moment, find yourself a big open parking lot at 4 am and learn the limits of your car before you do anything crazy on the open road(not condoning craziness on the open road, but really, we all know where this is headed). The tC can snap oversteer pretty easily in stock form especially with not so sticky tires. It's better you find under what conditions the car will do this in a safe place rather than when taking a 25 mph mountain corner at 75.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Solorider, you are one smart cookie. . . smarter than 99% or your average VTEC warrior (nothin against Honda).

Learning your limits is one of the best ideas there is for ANY car. In fact, autocross type events will give you a structured form as well. Learning how fast you can stop, corner, and accelerate will be useful tools in daily driving to extreme high speed excursions.

One of the first things I did as a driver was learn skid control in a controlled area (empty parking lot). That practice has saved my life many a time. Note: I am not talking about doing a sideshow, of 360's, crazy drifting, and burnouts.

Quick Reply: how hard do you take your corners?