Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

how much to lower?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mouse
here's a fairly recent one of mine from my SL profile....this is almost a full 2" drop front and rear on Hotchkis lowering springs.... I can get over most things in the road... but I still have to be careful and there are some drives that I cant get in or out of....but any lower and it would be tucked...which sends handling and practicality of it being a DD out the window. I have a 1 finger gap up front and about a 1.5 finger gap on the back. they aren't the easiest lowering springs to put on because they are a progressive rate spring...but the handling is much better than most linear rate springs. And cost wise... I'd check a few sites out ...but TRD Sparks has pretty good pricing on most of their aftermarket parts for Scions. And the springs wont set you back a huge amount either...and I bet you'll be happy with the end result.
with
that doesn't seem bad.. the drop inches i mean. looks good.
btw.. i'm starting to fall for that black cherry colour ><

i'm writing down in my marble notebook the how to's... and the spring lowering will be going into it soon lol
(it's how i learn about stuff... don't judge me lol)
Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

^^ actually it is SCM not black cherry. lol. It's in the same "family of paint colors" but the SCM changes colors under different lighting.
Just be careful working with those types of springs...it can get dangerous very quickly. I've been building cars for many years...and one wrong slip installing those and you can get seriously injured. Think about it....youre compressing each spring which roughly holds up more than a 1/4th the weight of the entire car....that's a lot of stored energy when compressed...if something starts to slip on you...get the hell out of the way fast. I've never had one slip on me...but I've been doing it a long time too though.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is my TRD drop, Kinda wish gone with Tein H spring.
But i couldn't pass $100 for new TRD spring deal.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
Here is my TRD drop, Kinda wish gone with Tein H spring.
But i couldn't pass $100 for new TRD spring deal.
i like that look... the tires disappearing into blackness lol

so 1.5-2in drop is the best? hopefully i can get this done during the summer.. not sure on how tight my money is right now... hmm
can i borrow one million and one dollars from someone? pls? lol <--me
Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, I think we both need to get new LCD, I can see that tire clearly on my new Dell LCD. But my old Samsung LCD it is just black.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
LOL, I think we both need to get new LCD, I can see that tire clearly on my new Dell LCD. But my old Samsung LCD it is just black.
oh.. yeah i just looked at it from the hovering down my monitor and i see the tire now lol. i do want a new monitor, ths one triggers migraines...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

i like that look... the tires disappearing into blackness lol

so 1.5-2in drop is the best? hopefully i can get this done during the summer.. not sure on how tight my money is right now... hmm
can i borrow one million and one dollars from someone? pls? lol <--me
Well for a DD I would say between 1.5 and 2" is a decent drop. Gives a nice stance without going so low that youre tucked and rubbing fenders/shredding tires, and can still get over most obsticals in the road if you're careful....and also dont take on too steep of drives. Im dropped 2 inches and I only occassionally have times where I have to find another route b/c I'm so slow that I'd scrape.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

out of randomness yay! you know what kogepan is

yeah, ill have to agree a 2" drop would be best for easy daily driving without worrying too much about bumps and dips. i got all kinds of issues from lowering my coilovers too much. rubbing, scraping bumper and frame under the car and the s-pipe...but yeah im lowered 3.25" so i expected it
Old 05-04-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm on stechs and rarely scrape. Just be careful, because it's the worst sound hearing your exhaust or bumper scrape on the pavement because your in a construction zone.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mystik
out of randomness yay! you know what kogepan is

yeah, ill have to agree a 2" drop would be best for easy daily driving without worrying too much about bumps and dips. i got all kinds of issues from lowering my coilovers too much. rubbing, scraping bumper and frame under the car and the s-pipe...but yeah im lowered 3.25" so i expected it
he's the cutest burnt bread EVER - and he's on my house key keychain lol

uum summitracing has 1.2", 1.7", and 2"... i saw some car online with a 2" drop and it was sitting on the ground. and i know that summitracing isn't the only place for lowering springs. this is the pic:
<--"Dropped hard with Tein lowering springs. 2.4 inch drop in the front and 2 inch drop on the rear"
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

the front bumper is aftermarket on that pic. that might be why it looks like its sitting so low. 2 inch drops are quit e nice and driveable if youre on stock bumper with or without a lip kit.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

you could also but my hotchkis springs...cheaper than brand new
Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

GamaTNT

How lowered is your scion?0.o

P.S : sorry im new to this lol
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally I would buy coilovers, I have race lands on my car, and I like them a lot, ride quality is good and raceland is good about replacing things if you even need them to.
As far as how low to go, just drop the car on its ******** and see how you like it, it's only three inches lower than stock, so you may hide a small amount of tire. If you don't like it, you can always spin them up, it only takes about an hour to do all four.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a dumb question . But i really have no experience with any of these things.
What parts would i need if i wanted to lower the car ; lets say , 2.5 inches
Springs though . Not coilovers
And also what would be the best springs to have an equal stance on the car?

Thank you
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had eibachs, very good product, and a very nice and even drop, look into the sportlines or something like that, there are a few products by them that have different drops
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much lower? More than 3"s.
How much cost? Less than $400
What product? Raceland Coilovers.

They aren't the tops in performance, or anything. However they do ride pretty smooth, go damn low, and it'll allow you to fine tune the height you want. Until you run out of lowness.

For the record, I drove 3K miles half way across the country and back on these, at this height. Only issues I had was the random loss of Pavement and straight into gravel roads in Oklahoma/Kansas. Other than that, Cincinnati to Oklahoma with out an issue. Tips for driving low (or lower than this)... Pay attention! I scrape my s-pipe/catback some, but not often. Just enter inclining parking lots at an angle and you rarely scrape.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL @ "aftermarket racing intake"

But here's a pic of my coils ;)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay thank you very much
And one last question.
The ONLY thing i need are springs?
I dont need new shocks or any or those things?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stenger
How much lower? More than 3"s.
How much cost? Less than $400
What product? Raceland Coilovers.

They aren't the tops in performance, or anything. However they do ride pretty smooth, go damn low, and it'll allow you to fine tune the height you want. Until you run out of lowness.

For the record, I drove 3K miles half way across the country and back on these, at this height. Only issues I had was the random loss of Pavement and straight into gravel roads in Oklahoma/Kansas. Other than that, Cincinnati to Oklahoma with out an issue. Tips for driving low (or lower than this)... Pay attention! I scrape my s-pipe/catback some, but not often. Just enter inclining parking lots at an angle and you rarely scrape.

Thats a veru gorgeus drop man
You said thats more than 3 inches?
Dam here in LA you would of been all scratched up haha

Quick Reply: how much to lower?